Summer vacation will be cut short for more auto factory workers this year, as carmakers try to keep up with heightened demand. Detroit automakers plan to reduce their annual two-week July shutdowns at dozens of North American plants that produce popular models such as Ford Motor Co.'s F-Series pickup trucks and Chrysler Group LLC's Jeeps.
Two of the region’s largest health care systems, Henry Ford and Beaumont, have scrapped plans for a merger that would have created a 10-hospital system serving as much as 40 percent of the area’s patients.
Gov. Rick Snyder and Republican legislative leaders reached an agreement Tuesday on how to divvy up nearly $702 million in surplus revenue as lawmakers race to complete the 2014 fiscal year budget by June 1.
Donald Trump, the billionaire real-estate developer who flirted with running for president last year told Oakland County Republicans Tuesday if immigrants in the country illegally get a path to citizenship, “they will not be voting Republican.”
Tigers 5, Indians 1
Perfection, thy name is Miguel Cabrera’s swing. However, from the last out of the first inning to the final out of the eighth in the Tigers' 5-1 victory on Tuesday night over the Cleveland Indians, perfection could be found in the way Max Scherzer pitched.
- Detroit Red Wings - NHL: What pressure? Red Wings enjoy the ride in playoffs
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Justin Verlander returns to fundamentals to try to remedy slump
- Detroit Red Wings - NHL: Red Wings' third, fourth lines add up to success vs. Blackhawks
- Michigan Wolverines: Patrick Biondi’s recovery mirrors Michigan baseball's resurgence
- Detroit Pistons - NBA: Pistons land No. 8 pick in draft lottery; Cavaliers to pick first
- Detroit Lions - NFL: Little Caesars might look to Comerica Park if Lions get new bowl game
There are so many questions that still need answering at this point it’s hard to know where to start. Or where and when this’ll all finish for Detroit and Chicago in their
When a little Mexican lunch counter in a gas station becomes something of a dining destination, it says something very good about the talents of the proprietors.
Mayer Hawthorne continues to grow, Kanye West continues challenging himself and fans with 'New Slaves,' Angie Miller disappoints in 'You Set Me Free' and more.
- Marney Rich Keenan: 12-year-old author encourages children in 112 ways to have fun without money
- Daniel Howes: New programs driving change in Detroit despite financial crisis
- Kurt Mensching: Some stats reveal ominous signs for Tigers closer Jose Valverde
- Bob Wojnowski: Red Wings hitting Blackhawks like they mean it, grab series lead
Detroit — A former top official of the Detroit Public Library was indicted Tuesday on allegations he took bribes and kickbacks totaling $1.4 million
Moore, Okla. — The principal’s voice came on over the intercom at Plaza Towers Elementary School: A severe storm was approaching and students were to
Washington — Summoned by Congress, a key figure in the Internal Revenue Service’s targeting of conservative groups plans to invoke her constitutional
Books-A-Million, one of the nation's leading book retailers, has opened two stores in southeast Michigan in recent months and plans an aggressive
A package of bills in the state Legislature would remedy the situation by helping to keep commercial airlines as major contributors to Michigan's
Sam Gross had no idea he had all the qualities of a consummate book author at age 12.
Summer is made for festivals. And if you're up for a road trip, the Shaw and Stratford festivals in Ontario will whet your theater appetite.
This is a social event where some guests prefer not to socialize — at least for a while. They'd rather shop.
Latest Headlines May 22, 2013 at 1:00 am
- Pistons land No. 8 pick in draft lottery; Cavaliers to pick first
- Miguel Cabrera homers, Max Scherzer retires 22 straight in Tigers victory
- Tigers may have no choice but to send down Alex Avila
- Red Wings are winning mind game with Blackhawks
- Lions rookie Devin Taylor wants to shine, not showboat
- Teachers praised for saving students in Oklahoma tornado
- Judge McCree: 'I lusted after this woman'
- What pressure? Red Wings enjoy the ride in playoffs
- McCree says he 'lusted after' woman in his court
- Trump to Oakland County GOP: You're going to have to 'get very, very smart'
- What Red Wings lack in skill, they're making up for with grit
- Henry Ford, Beaumont hospital merger called off
Top Video Picks
In the Blogs
David Guralnick A pre-game octopus toss at the end of the national anthem is tradition at Joe Louis Arena during the playoffs.Â Everyone in the building knows it’s coming.Â Well, almost everyone.Â Â ...
Mako Yamakura As the media departs, so does the national interest. This is the time in every disaster that many people require a different kind of help.
More from The Detroit News
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.