They live in a gated community now. But money doesn't always buy acceptance. And as college football enters a new era – out with the parochial, in with a playoff – there are plenty of questions yet to be answered.
A doctor accused of purposely misdiagnosing patients with cancer and reaping millions from Medicare was interested in spending some of the illicit cash on a $3 million castle overlooking a seaside resort area in Lebanon, according to an FBI agent.
There are schemes and slogans and all sorts of ways to piece together a winning season. But generally, there's one time-tested way to sustain it. Michigan State learned the hard way. Michigan is learning the same way.
Nothing like a little Yankees series to bring out the intensity in the Tigers. Perhaps lost in all the anticipation of honoring Derek Jeter has been the fact that in the race for the second wild-card spot, the Tigers led the Yankees by only two games at the start of this game.
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Tigers' Anibal Sanchez ends throwing session in pain, might be out for season
- Detroit Lions - NFL: Lions to see former coach Jim Schwartz from a new angle
- Michigan Wolverines: Michigan freshman tackle Mason Cole, 18, playing like a veteran
- Detroit Lions - NFL: Report: Lions seeking help at secondary through trade
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Tigers closer Joe Nathan returns to fans' good graces by slamming door on Yankees
- Michigan Wolverines: Michigan makes $2 million for Manchester United vs. Real Madrid match
Marney Rich Keenan
NBC Nightly News correspondent Peter Alexander was sitting at the Diuble family kitchen table in Manchester a couple months ago watching 11-year-old Lilly's eyes 'dart around
Filled with efficient thrills, 'The November Man' is both more taut and tough than you'd expect from a late August spy action flick. Then again, it's produced by and stars
Open since late April, Downtown Louie's Lounge might lure glances with its spiffy look, but once inside, patrons discover that it's not just a pretty face.
- John Niyo: Michigan revisits scene of disaster with upbeat attitude
- John Niyo: From the archives: Local scout still cherishes Derek Jeter pick
- Daniel Howes: Two family-run markets in Dearborn set table for good food done well
- Neal Rubin: '24' star Mary Lynn Rajskub brings her comedy act home to Royal Oak club
Residents of a small Canadian island are being warned not to drink their well water because of potentially toxic algae in Lake Erie.
Ten years after its last show in Metro Detroit, the Ultimate Homearama, a showcase of brand new high-end homes, returns to the region this weekend at
An American man believed to have been killed in Syria was there to fight alongside an extremist militant group, most likely the Islamic State, a U.S.
Republican U.S. Senate candidate Terri Lynn Land proposed Tuesday taking away control of 75% of the 18.4-cents-a-gallon federal gas tax from Uncle
Detroit — Spiders have forced Suzuki to recall more than 19,000 midsize cars.
The Detroit Fire Department is taking a big step forward in proposing new criteria for promotions.
NBC Nightly News correspondent Peter Alexander was sitting at the Diuble family kitchen table in Manchester a couple months ago watching 11-year-old
Filled with efficient thrills, 'The November Man' is both more taut and tough than you'd expect from a late August spy action flick. Then again, it's
Latest Headlines Updated Aug 27, 2014 at 11:03 am
- 2 Chicago men sue taxi company over brief kiss 11:03 am
- U.S. economy forecast to grow by 1.5% in 201410:42 am
- Pelee Island residents warned not to use well water due to toxic algae in Lake Erie10:28 am
- Bound bodies of 2 found in Philadelphia river; 3rd hurt10:24 am
- Officials: Girl, 9, accidentally kills gun instructor with Uzi in Arizona10:12 am
- No injuries in blaze at Detroit apartment complex9:56 am
- California beach town sees flooding from hurricane9:52 am
- Lawyers for Michigan mother accused of trying to kill autistic girl want off case9:37 am
- Sources: U.S. considering new relief mission in Iraq9:30 am
- Spiders force Suzuki to recall midsize cars9:27 am
- 3rd doctor dies from Ebola in Sierra Leone9:25 am
- Earthquakes rock Iceland volcano9:20 am
- Tigers notch a big victory; Rick Porcello swears to it
- GM's new manufacturing strategy helps breathe new life into Tennessee town
- What will new era in college football mean for Spartans, Wolverines?
- Michigan needs to follow Michigan State's lead, and embrace defense
- Report: Lions seeking help at secondary through trade
- 120K still without power after storms hit Detroit area
- Tigers closer Joe Nathan returns to fans' good graces by slamming door on Yankees
- Land proposes cutting 75 percent of federal gas tax
- Michigan freshman tackle Mason Cole, 18, playing like a veteran
- Tigers' Anibal Sanchez ends throwing session in pain, might be out for season
- Michigan makes $2 million for Manchester United vs. Real Madrid match
- Lions to see former coach Jim Schwartz from a new angle
'Woodward Cruising,' a Detroit News eBook
As the 20th Woodward Dream Cruise gets ready to rumble, take a nostalgic trip down M-1 with 200 photographs of the hot rods, muscle cars and one-of-a-kinds that have cut loose on Woodward Avenue since the 1940s. Our eBook is now available for Kindle and Apple devices for $2.99.
Don't have a tablet? You can purchase and download books on your computer through Amazon Kindle for PC.
In the Blogs
Eric Henrickson: So the stars of “Batman vs. Superman” are doing the ALS ice bucket challenge in force. The latest comes in a dual video from Henry Cavill and Amy Adams, in...
Stefen J. Welch: After many years of urging young professionals to remain in the city –Â as opposed to fleeing to supposedly cooler places for opportunity — Detroit is set up for major impact...
Jocelynn Brown: Made in the Mitten currently has a call out for Michigan artists for itsÂ Oct. 4th event, scheduled forÂ 10 a.m.-6 p.m., at the Orion Community Center, 1335 Joslyn, in Lake Orion....
Sandra Silfven: You can thank Concha y Toro of Chile for these great buys from Chile and Argentina.
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.