Frankly, the Tigers could've traded all their prospects plus the Ty Cobb statue in Comerica Park to land Joakim Soria and you wouldn't complain.
Detroit — U.S. Rep. John Conyers is campaigning more vigorously than normal for a 26th term, after a political scare more than a month ago nearly sidetracked his quest to be the first black dean of Congress.
Two Michigan law enforcement agencies are investigating a small town with a big auxiliary police force. The Attorney General's Office and the Commission on Law Enforcement Standards want to know if Oakley is violating any rules governing the licensing of police officers, said a commission official.
Nolan Finley: Just as Detroit was starting to gain some positive traction for its image, it walked off the dock by bungling an overdue attempt to end the city's pay-if-you-want culture.
The Lions' offensive line was one of the biggest question marks entering last season, but after giving up the second fewest sacks, it looks like a point of strength this year.
- Lynn Henning: With Joakim Soria trade, Tigers should ask why they couldn't solve crisis from within
- Detroit Lions - NFL: Lions' Ziggy Ansah, Golden Tate, TJ Jones will start camp on PUP list
- John Niyo: College athletic commissioners are best at crying wolf
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Miguel Cabrera 3-run blast puts venom in Tigers' win over D-backs
- Tony Paul: MLB Insider: Tigers should win another AL Central, but there are potential land mines
- High Schools: The News' Top 20 preseason football teams: Clarkston poised to repeat as champion
My wife's sofas are littered with pillows inscribed with clever sayings. My favorite: 'I know I'm efficient. Tell me I'm beautiful.' The Hyundai Sonata reminds me of that
Michigan's 14th Congressional District is a test-tube baby, conceived by gerrymandering to favor Democrats. Misshapen and geographically bizarre, it wends its way from
What's formally known as the Gift of Life MOTTEP Foundation's walk/run raises money and attention for the cause, and it's not too late to step in.
- John McCormick: Car Culture: Muscle cars offer power trips beyond racetrack
- Molly Abraham: Unpretentious Rose's Fine Food offers diner fare with unique flair
- Laura Berman: Michigan Roundtable leader a CEO with kumbaya in him
- Kurt Mensching: Hard to say if J.D. Martinez's season with Tigers is a fluke or the real deal
General Motors Co. is likely to release lower second-quarter earnings Thursday than a year ago, as the company is expected to take a $1.2 billion recall charge and give a cost estimate for a victims fund related to its recall of 2.59 million cars with faulty ignition switches.
My wife's sofas are littered with pillows inscribed with clever sayings. My favorite: 'I know I'm efficient. Tell me I'm beautiful.' The Hyundai
Michiganians stand to receive more than $13.1 million in health insurance refunds, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services announced Thursday.
A Dutch military aircraft carrying remains of victims from the Malaysian plane disaster departed for the Netherlands today and a second prepared to
When you think of German heritage in Michigan, Frankenmuth usually comes to mind. But Ann Arbor has strong roots, too. A great way to celebrate is by
Congress is wildly unpopular. In fact, two-thirds of Americans want their House member booted. And the tea party is dogging longtime Republican
Organizers of Saturday's BFF Fest were tired of seeing the same pool of local bands on every music festival around town, and they decided to do
With the right combinations of spices, oils, vinegars, herbs and seasonings, you can dress up meats, chicken, fish or vegetables and turn inexpensive
Latest Headlines Updated Jul 24, 2014 at 6:37 am
- Naked thieves take burgers from southwest Florida eatery 6:37 am
- Gaza fighting rages amid cease-fire efforts6:33 am
- Iraq: Attack on prisoner convoy kills 60 people6:32 am
- Italy welcomes Sudanese woman sentenced to death6:32 am
- Air Algerie plane disappears from radar6:20 am
- Plane with Malaysia Airlines bodies leaves Ukraine6:19 am
- FAA lifts ban on US flights to Tel Aviv airport6:14 am
- Analysts: GM's second-quarter earnings likely to take hit from recall-related charges6:00 am
- Tigers' deal for Joakim Soria was one that needed to get done
- Ronaldo to join Real Madrid for match vs. Manchester United at The Big House Aug. 2
- With Joakim Soria trade, Tigers should ask why they couldn't solve crisis from within
- Divorce case exposes bickering between Michael Moore, wife
- Small Michigan town with 100 police reserves under investigation
- Welcome to Dysfunction Junction
- Deal for Joakim Soria spells relief for battered Tigers 'pen
- Lions training camp position previews: Offensive line
- Red Wings forwards: Health should bring happiness to team, its fans
- Miguel Cabrera 3-run blast puts venom in Tigers' win over D-backs
- Lions' Ziggy Ansah, Golden Tate, TJ Jones will start camp on PUP list
- Conyers ramps up as Sheffield presses on
In the Blogs
Dan Calabrese: Channeling the man heÂ hopes will be his leader in the U.S. Senate, Gary Peters is already followingÂ Harry Reid by embracing — with no apparent sense of shame — the...
Bob Dluzen: We all know the story about the goose that laid golden eggs. Last week in my garden I found golden eggs that were definitely not laid by a goose. It...
Tatiana Grant: This time five years ago, there was “Assignment Detroit” and the header read: “It’s a city in crisis but with potential for a big comeback. Despite an ailing auto industry...
Sandra Silfven: The Migration wines by Duckhorn are what crafting fine wine is all about.
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.