The entrance to the Martin Luther King Apartments, once a popular spot for drug dealers, is quiet on a hot summer afternoon. Residents say it's the new reality in the formerly crime-ridden complex. 'It feels a lot safer than it used to,' said 33-year-old Shayla Parker, who enjoyed a recent sunny day sitting outside her unit with her 1-year-old son, Dalen. 'It's nice that the kids don't have to walk past all the dope dealers anymore.'
Conflicting rulings from two federal appeals cast doubt Tuesday over the future of President Barack Obama's health care law, especially for for many low- and middle-income people who bought policies, including more than 270,000 people in Michigan.
With defensive coordinator Teryl Austin taking over, the Lions will be much more aggressive, and that likely means the linebackers will blitz much more than the past few seasons.
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: 'I wouldn't classify this as a slump'; Justin Verlander's batting average plummets 334 points
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson still likes Tigers but wants to stomp them
- Michigan State Spartans: Spartans snubbed on ESPN ranking of top defenses in college football
- Detroit Red Wings - NHL: NHL offseason moves: Ted Kulfan breaks down winners and losers
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Tigers' Drew VerHagen, back with Toledo, goes on DL with lower back strain
- Detroit Lions - NFL: Lions' Matthew Stafford drops three spots to No. 16 in Jaworski's QB rankings
Steve Spreitzer is not a cynic or a screamer. He believes we can overcome. He believes we can all get along — and perhaps one day will.
When any player seemingly comes out of nowhere and finds a fair amount of success, you're left wondering just how long he can keep it up and when he might turn back into a
It's unclear if Ilitch stuck around for the ninth inning, because a man who loves to build knows how hard it is to finish. The bullpen did it this time, with Joba Chamberlain
A lakefront mansion. Dueling movie producers. Super agents joining the fray. A drunken driving arrest. The possible hiring of private investigators.
Ford today revealed details about the engines that will power the aluminum-body 2015 F-150, and showed the pickup is lighter than originally
Helping to quench a growing thirst for American craft beer overseas, some of the United States' largest craft breweries are setting up shop in Europe
The remains of the victims of the Malaysia Airlines crash arrived in territory held by the Ukrainian government today on their way to the Netherlands
A licensed medical marijuana caregiver, an investment adviser, an attorney, a union leader and an insurance agent are the Democrats competing for an
Tuesday night, PBS' 'History Detectives: Special Investigations' premieres an episode that purports to 'solve' a case familiar to most Metro
Nothing this exciting has ever been offered for Detroit, at least nothing with as much potential of actually getting built.
Do your grocery shopping at lunch time Fridays at Campus Martius. The park will host a farmers market 11 a.m.-2 p.m. every Friday through Aug. 22.
Latest Headlines Updated Jul 22, 2014 at 2:47 pm
- U.S. job-training review emphasizes data, employers 2:47 pm
- George Harrison memorial tree killed by beetles2:36 pm
- Neighborhoods Day aims to 'connect the dots of hope' in Detroit2:33 pm
- Ford names new president of Lincoln brand2:26 pm
- Grosse Pointe Woods teens' hearing delayed in vandalism case2:25 pm
- Ford reveals details about engines in aluminum-body F-150s2:23 pm
- Gaza rocket lands near Israel's main airport2:02 pm
- Detroit People Mover running again after service disruption1:54 pm
- Last body found in Washington mudslide1:53 pm
- Mysterious white flags appear atop Brooklyn Bridge1:45 pm
- U.S. to present intelligence data on Ukraine plane crash1:44 pm
- NB Lodge reopens near Linwood in Detroit after crash1:18 pm
- Mysterious white flags appear atop Brooklyn Bridge
- Divorce case exposes bickering between Michael Moore, wife
- Obamacare hit by ruling, but subsidies to continue
- 'I wouldn't classify this as a slump'; Justin Verlander's batting average plummets 334 points
- Increased police attention at Detroit complex sends crime rates plummeting
- Lions training camp position previews: Linebackers
- Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson still likes Tigers but wants to stomp them
- GM could add 1,750 jobs in $800M investment in Michigan with tax credit
- PBS looks at the fascination with Jimmy Hoffa's disappearance
- Spartans snubbed on ESPN ranking of top defenses in college football
- Tony Dungy explains context, timing of interview about Michael Sam
- Torii Hunter, Austin Jackson homer to support Justin Verlander in Tigers' win
In the Blogs
Sandra Silfven: The famous beachfront town will buzz with activities and special guests to celebrate the flavors and diversity of Riesling wines.
Jenny King: BIRMINGHAM, Mich. — Pasteiner’s/Auto Zone Hobbies, a purveyor of automotive books and periodicals, models and graphics here on North Woodward Avenue, has become a regular year-around weekend stop for car...
Philip Lauri: I need your help. We’ll get to that. The name of my creative agency is Detroit Lives!. Gotta say, when people hear that, they typically look at me like the...
Bob Dluzen: I finally had a chance toÂ see the blooming agave plant atÂ University of Michigan’sÂ Matthaei Botanical GardensÂ Desert House — the one you’ve been hearing everyone talking about. When I first saw this...
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.