A New York-based lender is offering to loan Detroit as much as $4 billion if the city agrees to put up its art collection as collateral. The offer is the latest attempt by outside groups to counter the pledged 'grand bargain' that involves $816 million over 20 years Detroit pensioners could get from private sources and state taxpayers in exchange for shielding city-owned art housed at the Detroit Institute of Arts from a possible bankruptcy fire sale.
The state House gave final passage Wednesday to a petition-initiated law that allows Michigan wolf hunting to continue and appears to make moot two ballot proposals sponsored by opponents of the hunt.
For the Michigan State defensive backs coach, there is a moment from his playing career that most people remember, far more than him winning a Rose Bowl with the Spartans before embarking on a seven-year NFL career.
- John Niyo: What will new era in college football mean for Spartans, Wolverines?
- Detroit Lions - NFL: Lions vs. Bills: Position battles at right tackle, linebacker among 10 things to watch
- Michigan Wolverines: Michigan freshman tackle Mason Cole, 18, playing like a veteran
- Michigan Wolverines: Michigan appeals denial of hardship waiver for RB Ty Isaac
- Detroit Lions - NFL: James Ihedigbo, Golden Tate stoke Lions kickoff luncheon crowd with confidence
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Wednesday's Tigers vs. Yankees: Lineups and live tweets
There are schemes and slogans and all sorts of ways to piece together a winning season. But generally, there's one time-tested way to sustain it. Michigan State learned the
Marney Rich Keenan
NBC Nightly News correspondent Peter Alexander was sitting at the Diuble family kitchen table in Manchester a couple months ago watching 11-year-old Lilly's eyes 'dart around
Filled with efficient thrills, 'The November Man' is both more taut and tough than you'd expect from a late August spy action flick. Then again, it's produced by and stars
- Molly Abraham: Fresh take on the familiar at Downtown Louie's Lounge
- John Niyo: Michigan revisits scene of disaster with upbeat attitude
- Daniel Howes: Two family-run markets in Dearborn set table for good food done well
- Neal Rubin: '24' star Mary Lynn Rajskub brings her comedy act home to Royal Oak club
Two people were shot Wednesday afternoon at Eastland Mall in Harper Woods, according to reports.
Open since late April, Downtown Louie's Lounge might lure glances with its spiffy look, but once inside, patrons discover that it's not just a pretty
General Motors' Spring Hill complex is on a path that may lead to a doubled workforce and become a vision of GM's manufacturing future.
An American man believed to have been killed in Syria was there to fight alongside an extremist militant group, most likely the Islamic State, a U.S.
Republican U.S. Senate candidate Terri Lynn Land proposed Tuesday taking away control of 75% of the 18.4-cents-a-gallon federal gas tax from Uncle
The Detroit Fire Department is taking a big step forward in proposing new criteria for promotions.
NBC Nightly News correspondent Peter Alexander was sitting at the Diuble family kitchen table in Manchester a couple months ago watching 11-year-old
Filled with efficient thrills, 'The November Man' is both more taut and tough than you'd expect from a late August spy action flick. Then again, it's
Latest Headlines Updated Aug 27, 2014 at 4:52 pm
- ZZ Top cancels Wednesday DTE show after injury 4:52 pm
- Police respond to shooting at Eastland Mall4:37 pm
- Kia to invest more than $1B to build auto plant in Mexico3:40 pm
- Police link man found dead at Southfield underpass with woman slain in Detroit3:01 pm
- Arrival of immigrant children in Bay City delayed2:44 pm
- Source: BET suspends producer after Blue Ivy joke2:20 pm
- Mount Clemens man accidentally shoots self, faces charges2:19 pm
- Husband arraigned in death of wife; family hopes kids still alive1:58 pm
- Court: No First Amendment violation at Arab-American festival in Dearborn1:26 pm
- U.S. Coast Guard fires at Iranian boat in Gulf1:22 pm
- Arbitrator upholds season-long suspension for Browns' Josh Gordon1:22 pm
- Dems launch new ad attacking Terri Lynn Land on support for women8:00 am
- Agent: Doctor accused of Medicare fraud planned to buy $3M castle
- Video: MSU's Harlon Barnett can't shake memories of Barry Sanders, 20 years later
- Video: Detroit Coast Guard rescues 2 from disabled boat near Niagara Falls
- Detroit offered $4B loan if it uses DIA art as collateral
- Lions vs. Bills: Position battles at right tackle, linebacker among 10 things to watch
- Police link man found dead at Southfield underpass with woman slain in Detroit
- What will new era in college football mean for Spartans, Wolverines?
- Tigers notch a big victory; Rick Porcello swears to it
- GM's new manufacturing strategy helps Tennessee town rebound
- ZZ Top cancels Wednesday DTE show after injury
- Michigan appeals denial of hardship waiver for RB Ty Isaac
- Source: BET suspends producer after Blue Ivy joke
'Woodward Cruising,' a Detroit News eBook
As the 20th Woodward Dream Cruise gets ready to rumble, take a nostalgic trip down M-1 with 200 photographs of the hot rods, muscle cars and one-of-a-kinds that have cut loose on Woodward Avenue since the 1940s. Our eBook is now available for Kindle and Apple devices for $2.99.
Don't have a tablet? You can purchase and download books on your computer through Amazon Kindle for PC.
In the Blogs
Nolan Finley: What’s being called a long-term cease fire appears to have ended the 50-day fighting between Israel and the Hamas terrorists in Gaza. Despite the fact that its communities are in...
Dawud Walid: In wake of the gruesome execution of American journalist James Foley at the hands of ISIS, President Barack Obama has just authorized air surveillance of the extremist group over Syria....
Eric Henrickson: So the stars of “Batman vs. Superman” are doing the ALS ice bucket challenge in force. The latest comes in a dual video from Henry Cavill and Amy Adams, in...
Stefen J. Welch: After many years of urging young professionals to remain in the city –Â as opposed to fleeing to supposedly cooler places for opportunity — Detroit is set up for major impact...
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.