Nothing like a week of dealing with stinky, sewage-sopped trash to turn normally civil people ugly. A seemingly endless parade of licensed haulers and private citizens have flowed into the South Oakland County Resource Recovery Authority hoping to rid themselves of sewage-tainted and ruined property from last week's flooding, even as another storm bore down on the area Tuesday evening.
Michigan Republicans are gearing up for a showdown at their state convention Saturday that could unite the GOP for the general election or embarrass Gov. Rick Snyder by exposing deep ideological divisions.
This was no masterpiece, this 8-6, 11-inning victory the Tigers pulled out, which arrived after one of the evening's uglier innings, the 11th, when the Tigers turned a misplayed triple, two wild pitches, and four walks into three runs that got them home with an excruciatingly difficult victory.
Detroit — Good luck to Corey Knebel and Jake Thompson on their Rangers careers, and the same for Willy Adames on his new life in the Rays system.
- Detroit Lions - NFL: Lions center Dominic Raiola says winning is all that's left
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Tigers manager Brad Ausmus can feel the heat, but he won't buckle
- Tony Paul: Tigers Mailbag: Royals breezy schedule make Tigers' task more difficult
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Tigers notebook: So far so good on Justin Verlander's shoulder, he could start for Tigers on Saturday
- Michigan State Spartans: ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit: 'Michigan State now is the team to beat in the Big Ten'
- Big Ten Conference: Ohio State QB Braxton Miller's season-ending injury likely to have widespread effects
Bouquets of fresh flowers casually displayed atop the tables and on the counter overlooking the kitchen set the tone at Mimi's Bistro, where the housemade fare is as pristine
What closer Joe Nathan does not understand is the fans want a World Series championship, and they've been chasing it longer in this town than he has.
The soft opening Monday of Detroit's landmark bankruptcy trial, scheduled to begin late next week, is coming down to a simple test:
Announcing the latest four finalists in The Detroit News' Celebrate Michigan Photo Contest.
They've lined the streets with police in riot gear, brought in a new black commander with an empathetic manner, imposed a curfew, lifted it and
Detroit — A federal appeals court has turned down a request to place five Socialist Party candidates on the November ballot.
Detroit — The U.S. government is offering a free online service for drivers to find out if their vehicles have been recalled but not repaired.
School choice, at least in the form of charter and traditional public schools, is spreading rapidly in Detroit. And while that's a promising
Call it the no-raises recovery: Five years of economic expansion have done almost nothing to boost paychecks for typical American workers while the rich have gotten richer.
Two superstars. One Monster concert event.
It may feel like summer outside, but many stores are showing styles for cooler weather. Here are some tips and trends to help your wardrobe look
Latest Headlines Updated Aug 20, 2014 at 8:32 am
- Target cuts annual profit outlook 8:32 am
- Florida woman wins $4.3M in texting while driving case8:13 am
- More strong weather expected in Metro Detroit today8:04 am
- NHTSA offers drivers online recall check7:55 am
- Peanut, almond butter recalled for salmonella risk7:52 am
- Pope Francis: Thanks for prayers for my family's grief7:49 am
- Pakistan lawmakers meet amid mass protests7:42 am
- 36 dead, 7 missing in Hiroshima landslides7:33 am
- Macy's to pay $650K in shopper-profiling probe7:31 am
- Official: 4 of 6 child hostages freed in Harvey7:13 am
- Courts won't put Socialists on Michigan ballot7:12 am
- North Korea insults John Kerry over his looks7:10 am
- History shows Tigers way ahead on trading prospects
- With a little luck and lot of perseverance, Tigers pull out a win
- Grosse Pointe Park, Detroit to open gateway between cities
- Flood of garbage has Metro Detroit communities, residents talking trash
- Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford poised to take the next step
- Michigan GOP braces for tea party showdown
- GM to build large Cadillac sedan on new platform
- ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit: 'Michigan State now is the team to beat in the Big Ten'
- Hunt for photo prospects pays off
- Tigers fans have had their fill of Sloppy Joe
- Tigers reliever Jim Johnson wins marathon within a marathon
- Tigers Mailbag: Royals breezy schedule make Tigers' task more difficult
Top Video Picks
'Woodward Cruising,' a Detroit News eBook
As the 20th Woodward Dream Cruise gets ready to rumble, take a nostalgic trip down M-1 with 200 photographs of the hot rods, muscle cars and one-of-a-kinds that have cut loose on Woodward Avenue since the 1940s. Our eBook is now available for Kindle and Apple devices for $2.99.
Don't have a tablet? You can purchase and download books on your computer through Amazon Kindle for PC.
In the Blogs
Dana Frost: As the sun set over the Eastern Market on Sunday evening, hundreds of Detroiters descended upon the previously empty Shed 2, dressed in their finest whites, carrying with them all...
Darren Littell: Michigan families recently saw yet another example of the culture of low character stemming from Mark Schauer’s campaign for governor. This latest example of delinquency reinforces the lengths Mark Schauer...
Brandon Helderop: Congressman Gary Peters has been a vocal critic of oil companies while continually blocking the expansion of drilling throughout his political career, including ANWR. In addition, his campaign has made...
Charles Owens: A recent article by Rick Haglund on the MLIVE news site raises the issue of the changes made to how pensions are taxed in Michigan. The article is in reference...
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.