Johannesburg — Nelson Mandela, who became one of the world's most beloved statesmen and a colossus of the 20th century when he emerged from 27 years in prison to negotiate an end to white minority rule in South Africa, died Thursday at age 95.
Metro Detroiters on Thursday reflected on the life of Nelson Mandela, the political prisoner who went from a second-class citizen to the president of South Africa and one of the most respected men in the world.
In his long-awaited written opinion approving Detroit's bankruptcy, Judge Steven Rhodes criticized city officials for not being more forthright before the July filing and urged the parties to negotiate deals to restructure more than $18 billion in debt.
A Christie’s appraisal valuing the Detroit Institute of Arts’s city-bought pieces between $452M and $866M is expected to intensify talks brokered by Judge Gerald Rosen to
The Tigers are entrenched in title contention, and that's a good thing. It's also a daunting thing. It's why they can land one of the best closers, Joe Nathan, and
With nearly 200 hp driving the front wheels, this five-door hot hatch brings performance without sacrificing room.
The White House and House Democrats are making a last-ditch effort to extend emergency unemployment benefits, warning that without action 4.9 million people — including 189,700 in Michigan — will lose benefits by the end of next year.
Mustang enthusiasts from across the globe got their first glimpse at the sixth-generation pony car and applauded its new look and the addition of an
Johannesburg — Nelson Mandela, the anti-apartheid leader who became South Africa's first black president, was regarded as one of the great figures of
Cobo Center finished the 2013 fiscal year with a $287,426 profit, thanks to lower-than-expected operating expenses and increased parking revenue. The
Michigan is getting better at competing with its contiguous neighbors in the economic-development derby.
Los Angeles — Stumped about that holiday gift for your niece or grandson?
Five cookbook suggestions from Kate Lawson on what to give the chef in the family for Christmas — 'Cook's Baking Book,' 'Moosewood Restaurant
Ford Motor Co. chief executive officer Alan Mulally will be a guest on tonight's 'The Colbert Report' on Comedy Central.
Latest Headlines Updated Dec 5, 2013 at 1:00 am
- Thursday's prep roundup: F.H. Mercy makes free throws when it matters in girls basketball victory 1:00 am
- Man walking across road struck by car, critically injured11:42 pm
- Teacher shot in Libya grew up in Warren11:35 pm
- Thursday's NHL roundup: Penguins blow past Sharks in battle of first-place teams11:18 pm
- Darren Helm's ailing shoulder adds to Wings' injury woes11:07 pm
- Former Michigan standout Trey Burke pumps life into Jazz10:38 pm
- Thursday's NBA roundup: Bulls' Derrick Rose not ruling out return this season10:33 pm
- Thursday's baseball roundup: Once a Tigers target, reliever Brian Wilson re-signs with Dodgers10:14 pm
- Rickey Stenhouse Jr. accepts NASCAR's rookie award, after beating out his girlfriend10:03 pm
- No charges in Jameis Winston sex assault investigation; QB says 'I never lost faith'9:54 pm
- NASCAR chairman Brian France eager to improve on-track product9:47 pm
- Thursday's golf roundup: Zach Johnson takes lead in World Challenge9:40 pm
- Tigers' Nick Castellanos relishing return to third base
- Enthusiasts weigh in on Mustang's revamp
- Dantonio's long hours at Michigan State bring success and comfort
- GM to unveil the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 in Detroit
- In written ruling, Detroit bankruptcy judge urges creditors to negotiate
- Paul unveils plan for Detroit 'economic freedom zone'
- 2015 Mustang: A makeover with muscle
- Former Michigan standout Trey Burke pumps life into Jazz
- Under Maurice Cheeks, Pistons G Rodney Stuckey seeing things positively
- What's next for Tigers? It should be locking up Max Scherzer
- Ford to reveal next-generation Mustang on Dec. 5
- Recently signed LB Julian Stanford eager to make most of chance with Lions
In the Blogs
Charles Owens Back in July I wrote a column about three important court cases dealing with the issue of private property rights and the actions of government that threatened those rights. Just...
Brandy Baker Smokestacks atÂ the historic Ford Rouge Complex in Dearborn, Michigan are silhouetted by the setting sun earlier this week.
Jeff Hadden Judge Steven Rhodes’ ruling that Detroit is eligible for bankruptcy and cuts in city employees’ pensions could be part of any financial restructuring plan has sent shock waves through...
Chat with Detroit's police chief
Detroit Police Chief James Craig will take your questions and comments at 1:30 p.m. Friday in our online chat moderated by Detroit crime beat reporter George Hunter.
Download Kate Lawson's recipe book
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.