The polar vortex was no match for Michigan's apple trees. The orchards emerged from arctic winter weather largely unscathed, and are celebrating with an abundant harvest predicted to rival last year's record-breaking haul. The Michigan Apple Committee is forecasting almost 29 million bushels of apples this season, close to last year's total of 30 million bushels.
After bruising defeats in 2012, organized labor has rearmed for this fall's electoral battle to try to keep an open U.S. Senate seat in the Democratic column and dethrone the Republican governor who made Michigan a right-to-work state.
Mya Hill is getting a small raise today, and it couldn't come at a better time. Hill, 24, is making $7.70 an hour and will receive a 45-cents-an-hour bump when the state's minimum wage of $7.40 increases to $8.15 an hour on Labor Day.
Fresh off signing a new four-year contract to stay with the Wings through his 36th year with the franchise, one of Holland's challenges is persuading people the lack of signings is probably not significant for his redeveloping team in the long run.
Not surprisingly, Brad Ausmus stayed away from specifics when asked after Sunday's disaster what he might have said to the Tigers. They had just been embarrassed, 6-2, in a game that would have been canceled in the second inning had baseball's standards and practices police gotten their way.
- Michigan State Spartans: Mark Dantonio: Matchup with Oregon 'an opportunity to see where we're at as a program'
- Michigan Wolverines: Michigan sorry to see series with Notre Dame come to an end
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Tigers decide Devon Travis might help them sooner as a center fielder
- Detroit Lions - NFL: OT Michael Williams, RB George Winn among Lions' practice squad additions
- Big Ten: Wisconsin 'hurting' after giving away Saturday night's game to LSU
- Golf: Detroit News / GAM Hole In One Contest tee times listed here
Brian J. O’Connor
Head's up, Funny Money fans: In honor of the end of summer and start of a new school year, here's a pop quiz! Our topic? Your automobile insurance.
If you aren't familiar with the name Paul Pastorek, chances are you've heard about his work.
Nothing about his situation in 2014 has been clear or clearly explained. What we know is a superstar who has won three consecutive batting championships and who bashed 44
Please, no jokes about sharks and lawyers. Attorney Sarah Colegrove didn't encounter any finny friends in her recent 21-mile swim across Lake St.
New York — Janice Moreno graduated from college with a degree in English literature, but never landed a job paying more than $12 an hour. Now, at 36, she's
Store credit cards may offer some tempting perks, like 20 percent off your purchase when you apply for a card at the cash register. But lately, the
Los Angeles — From the start, little has been typical about Tesla Motors' plan for a $5 billion factory to make batteries for a new generation of
Like his father and grandfather before him, butcher Lou DeRosa lifts thick slabs of bacon from the glass case at Marconda's Meats and wraps them for
Michigan's economy grew for a century on the back of the automotive industry and the manufacturing that supports it. Following the Great Recession
The online network Twitch attracts millions of visitors, most of whom watch live and recorded footage of other people playing video games —in much
Washington — Leaders of the House and Senate intelligence committees on Sunday prodded President Barack Obama to take decisive action against what
- Detroit police: Homicide pace lowest in decades
- Tigers decide Devon Travis might help them sooner as a center fielder
- Red Wings' Ken Holland stands by plan amid criticism over lack of free-agent signings
- Slipshod Tigers concoct new ways to derail themselves
- Michigan's minimum wage takes first step up
- Lexus CT 200H Hybrid: A thrifty reboot of the Prius
- Michigan sorry to see series with Notre Dame come to an end
- Mark Dantonio: Matchup with Oregon 'an opportunity to see where we're at as a program'
- Outfielder Steven Moya, catcher James McCann join seven minor leaguers called up by Tigers
- Season ripe for Mich. apple growers; another bumper crop expected
- Michigan State an 11-point underdog vs. Oregon, Notre Dame favored to beat Michigan by 6
- OT Michael Williams, RB George Winn among Lions' practice squad additions
Top Video Picks
In the Blogs
Jenny King: CARMEL, Calif. — Californians are an adventuresome lot. They appear to be willing to spend lots of time in traffic on the way to a destination. For example, the crowd...
Jeff Hadden: There seems to be a lot of confusion about what state government is for. Case in point: A GOP Senate candidate Terri Lynn Land campaign ad attacking Democratic rival...
Dale Hansen: In a number of states across the country, including Michigan, Republicans are fighting progress and asking that their states be allowed to discriminate against people based on sexual preference by...
Neil Winton: Tesla Motors Inc achieved a big hit with its Model S saloon, but according to investment bank Morgan Stanley, its next model, an SUV, will do even better. Tesla has...
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.