A winter storm watch is in effect for Metro Detroit and about six to nine inches of snow is expected by Wednesday afternoon. The southern portion of Wayne and Monroe counties are expected to get the biggest portion of the snow.
Federal investigators are reviewing how another sexual abuse complaint was handled at Michigan State University, bringing the total number of cases under review at the East Lansing school to three, university officials confirmed Tuesday.
Detroit's new public transportation director told lawmakers Tuesday he intends to upgrade the city's troubled bus fleet, better coordinate routes with the suburban transit system and have 24/7 on-board police to keep passengers safe.
The Justice Department has opened a preliminary investigation into General Motors Co.'s handling of complaints that led to the recall of 1.6 million older cars for ignition switch problems linked to 13 deaths and 31 crashes in which air bags failed to deploy, people briefed on the matter said Tuesday.
While cap-rich teams like Cleveland, Tampa and Atlanta made splash deals at the 4 p.m. deadline, Detroit made two moves — re-signing running back Joique Bell to what amounts to a three-year worth a little more than $9 million and receiver Kevin Ogletree to a one-year deal for $795,000, with $100,000 guaranteed.
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Tigers' Justin Verlander sharp, intense in first start of spring
- Michigan State Spartans: Michigan State cornerback Darqueze Dennard looking out for No. 1
- Michigan Wolverines: New U-M football student ticket policy will reward regular, on-time attendance
- Michigan State Spartans: Michigan State views Big Ten tournament as chance for redemption
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Tigers' Phil Coke makes strides in scoreless inning, says he has nothing to prove
- Detroit Red Wings - NHL: Ex-Red Wings player Jiri Fischer offers support in wake of Rich Peverley's collapse
Red Wings at Blue Jackets, FSD+
Only six points separate the No. 3 seed Canadiens from the out-of-the picture Red Wings (77-71), but including those two, there are 10 teams between 67 and 77 points.
Arcade Fire was not only the headlining entertainment at the Palace of Auburn Hills Monday, they were also the evening's mood directors. And from start to finish, the band
Thursday will be March 13, as in 3/13, which makes it the ideal day to hear and say uplifting things about the 313 in the 313's 313th year. For $31.30.
- Kurt Mensching: Trading Rick Porcello wouldn't make any sense for Tigers now
- Bob Wojnowski: For 50 years, Lions owner William Clay Ford kept the faith
- Neal Rubin: Finding a name for those annoying chunks of snow behind your tires
- Brian J. O’Connor: Frequent fliers: The trick for free air trips is buy, don't fly
The city's lawyers today announced they have reached a deal that will protect members of a retiree committee from lawsuits associated with Detroit's bankruptcy case.
Modern furniture and housewares store West Elm will make its Michigan debut in Birmingham later this year, the Birmingham Principal Shopping District
The anonymous donor who gave Western Michigan University one of the largest gifts ever to a university became public today when the medical school was named after her grandfather.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia — The missing Boeing 777 jetliner changed course over the sea, crossed Malaysia and reached the Strait of Malacca — hundreds
— The Department of Homeland Security plans to award a contract for the design of the next-generation presidential limousine by late August, to be
Washington — Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid Tuesday referenced The Detroit News story on a Michigan cancer patient Tuesday as further evidence of
William Clay Ford was the last member of his generation of the family that made Detroit the automaking capitol of the world.
Because Berry Gordy learned how to produce and mix there, and recorded his earliest sessions at United Sound Systems, it has an integral role in the
Latest Headlines Updated Mar 11, 2014 at 9:14 pm
- CMU's Crystal Bradford named MAC Player of the Year 9:14 pm
- Reid attacks health care ads as 'distortion'8:26 pm
- Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias making progress in recovery from shin splints8:17 pm
- Malaysia plane's mystery grows7:30 pm
- Beck plays Fox on June 28 after nine year absence7:27 pm
- Body found in SUV may be missing minor league hockey player7:14 pm
- Tuesday's NFL free agency roundup: Cowboys release DeMarcus Ware6:51 pm
- Law enforcement agencies across Mich. speak in favor of bill to deter illegal scrappers5:57 pm
- Receiver Bennie Fowler raises eyebrows with speedy time at Michigan State pro day5:43 pm
- NTSB chief who clashed with automakers will step down5:28 pm
- Family had looked for woman who lived in Pontiac house where mummified remains found5:27 pm
- Selling Wayne County treatment facility faces commission skepticism5:19 pm
- Dexter cancer patient who called health care 'unaffordable' will save more than $1K
- Masons win ownership battle over Detroit's Masonic Temple
- Who will Lions get in free agency? Here are leading contenders
- Lions play waiting game, for now; Golden Tate expected to pay visit
- Up to 9 inches of snow in Metro Detroit forecast
- Tigers' Justin Verlander sharp, intense in first start of spring
- Feds investigate handling of 3rd sexual abuse complaint at Michigan State
- Body found in SUV may be missing minor league hockey player
- Tuesday's NFL free agency roundup: Cowboys release DeMarcus Ware
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Secret Service seeking bids for new presidential limo
- Receiver Bennie Fowler raises eyebrows with speedy time at Michigan State pro day
Top Video Picks
In the Blogs
Jenny King DETROIT. — Autorama: the great harbinger of spring here in the Motor City. And for some reason the relentless pace of the winter of 2014, with heavy snows and single-digit...
Joshua Pugh For Michigan middle class families looking to better understand the choice in candidates to replace U.S. Senator Carl Levin this November, they can start by considering a major point of...
Darren Littell Presiding over any budget is a crucial responsibility. The budget of the United States government is no different. Last week, President Barack Obama unveiled his $3.9 trillion budget that aims...
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.