Gerald Kent is insulted. William Schultheis is upset. Roger Doppelberger is indignant. And along with 20,000 other city of Detroit retirees, they're worried. When Detroit's emergency manager meets with unions and pension boards today, he'll discuss how the city can cut its costs for retiree health care. But retired city workers fear that the budget ax will bite into their pensions, too.
John Niyo: The proposed $650 million project moves forward now after the Downtown Development Authority announced the 'framework' of a deal is in place with the Ilitch family's Olympia Development group.
James Gandolfini, whose portrayal of a brutal, emotionally delicate mob boss in HBO's 'The Sopranos' helped create one of TV's greatest drama series and turned the mobster stereotype on its head, died Wednesday in Italy. He was 51.
After a Big Ten co-championship, three trips to the NCAA Tournament and a berth in the national championship game, Hardaway has done as much to define who he is.
There's a certain buzz when some teams come to town. For instance, a big weekend series at Comerica Park becomes a huge weekend series when it's the Red Sox, as it will be for four games starting Thursday night.
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Tigers have big expectations for Texas reliever Corey Knebel
- Michigan State Spartans: Riley Bullough will be a tailback for Michigan State
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Tigers pitchers, including Jose Valverde, rocked by Orioles
- Michigan State Spartans: Incoming Michigan State QB Damion Terry has chance to start, coach Mark Dantonio says
- Detroit Red Wings - NHL: Blackhawks knock off Bruins in overtime, even series
- Golf: Tom Werkmeister earns medalist honors at Michigan Amateur
The proposed $650 million project moves forward now after the Downtown Development Authority announced the 'framework' of a deal is in place with the Ilitch family's Olympia
Nothing about Mike Duggan's campaign for mayor was expected. Not the move into Palmer Woods, after an adult lifetime of Livonia living. Not the months of exploratory
When Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr's team today holds the first of several meetings with Detroit's unions and pensions funds, a single paragraph in the Michigan Constitution
Nothing about Mike Duggan's campaign for mayor was expected. Not the move into Palmer Woods, after an adult lifetime of Livonia living. Not the
The proposed Red Wings arena will have fewer seats for fans — another example of professional sports franchises looking to increase bang for the buck.
Just call the 2013 BMW 135is what it is. The last of the classic Bimmers. It is light and nimble, yet also powerful.
It's too bad. Duggan had a shot at prevailing in his argument that such a narrow reading of the law violates the spirit of the City Charter.
— Summoning the harsh history of this once-divided city, President Barack Obama on Wednesday cautioned the U.S. and Europe against '
Joumana Kayrouz's face was on a city bus heading south. Joumana Kayrouz's face was on two other buses heading north.
As much fun as the undead are, they can also get a little repetitive. Which is why a sudden tone shift toward the end of 'World War Z' is the best
Long before there were smoothie bars, yogurt shops, specialty gourmet ice creams and gelato parlors, there was the soda fountain. I guess I'd
- Joe Louis Arena will scarcely be missed when Red Wings' new arena goes up
- Detroit retirees angry, anxious over EM's pension proposals
- Tigers have big expectations for Texas reliever Corey Knebel
- Actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy at age 51
- $650M hockey arena plan moves forward
- Tigers pitchers, including Jose Valverde, rocked by Orioles
- ESPN predictions: Hand, McDowell, Scott, Westphal will pick Michigan
- $2.65B for Metro Detroit highways pending
- Proposed Red Wings arena would seat 10% fewer fans
- Even at the end, Duggan full of surprises
- BMW 135is coupe harkens back to 1968
- Riley Bullough will be a tailback for Michigan State
Top Video Picks
Celebrate Michigan Photo Contest
In the Blogs
Erin Rawlings It’s been awhile since I posted here. In addition to the typical frantic end of the school year antics, we were moving.Â If someone were to tell me how difficult...
Jean Smith Old-fashionedÂ SiberianÂ iris along with the popularÂ BeardedÂ hybrids are among of my favorite late spring bloomers. Their delicate, intricate bloomsÂ appear too sensitive to touchÂ as theyÂ balance amongÂ sword-like leaves.Â Unfortunately they don’t bloom long enough- here...
Maria Servold Orr's plan reminds me of home: My husband and I own a fixer-upper house.
More from The Detroit News
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.