Redford Township A smell of gas due to a start up of building boilers led to the evacuation of students from Redford Union High School before noon Monday.
School officials emphasized there was never a gas leak despite reports to the contrary.
They fired up the boilers for the first time this year and it resulted in a gas smell, but there was no leakage, said Linda Scheel, executive assistant to the school superintendent. The principal decided this was a good time to test out the fire alarm system in the building so the students were evacuated. The students then got on their cellphones and the next thing you know the word is out that there was a gas leak.
According to Scheel, police and fire personnel responded to the evacuation, as well as representatives of the company that maintains the boilers.
No problem was found with the boilers, Scheel said. It was determined at this time to go ahead and release the students for the day. We are making robo-calls to parents and are in the process of getting transportation to the high school.
According to Scheel, the students have been allowed back into the high school to retrieve belongings from their lockers.
The school which has approximately 900 students is located in the 17700 block of Kinloch Road in an area south of Seven Mile and west of Beech Daly Road.