Mike Reda enters the courtroom for his preliminary exam in October. (John T. Greilick / The Detroit News)
Detroit — A 66-year-old Detroit man has been found competent and will stand trial in the shooting deaths of two women last year at a retirement home.
Wearing slacks and a gray and blue sweater, Mike Reda on Friday morning appeared before Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Cynthia Gray Hathaway on two counts of first-degree murder, assault with intent to murder and other felony charges.
Wayne County prosecutors had offered a plea deal of second-degree murder but Reda on Friday did not agree to the deal.
Should Reda choose to take the deal, the two counts of first-degree murder, one count of felony murder, one count if felony assault with attempt to murder and felony home invasion would be sought by prosecutors to be dismissed.
He could serve 25 to 50 years in prison for second-degree murder, plus two years for a count of felony firearms, according to Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor Danielle Hagaman-Clark. He currently faces up to mandatory life.
His trial is scheduled to begin March 31.
Fifty-nine-year-old Deborah Socia and 61-year-old Maria Gonzalez were shot with an assault rifle on Oct. 20 at the two-story, 80-unit Pablo Davis Elder Living Center in southwest Detroit.
Reda told police that he had dated the same woman for several years and that the two shooting victims befriended her and frequently kept the girlfriend away from him.
He said during his police interrogation that he “was drunk” and “angry” on the day of the shootings and “just couldn’t take it no more.”
Staff writer Serena Maria Daniels and the Associated Press contributed.