A Max Scherzer Cy Young bobblehead and a trophy commemorating Miguel Cabrera's three batting titles are among the promotional items being given away by the Tigers this season. (Detroit Tigers)
Detroit – Back in 2009, when the Tigers celebrated the 25th anniversary of the 1984 World Series championship, they gave away 1984 replica road jerseys to the first 10,000 fans.
Little did they know, the promotion would be their most popular ever – even resulting in ugly pushing and shoving among fans determined not to be shut out.
Well, the Tigers took note, and so they’ve upped the number of replica road jerseys they’ll be handing out this year, the 30th anniversary of the team’s last title. Some 20,000 fans will get them for attending the Monday, June 30 game against the A’s at Comerica Park.
The Tigers also will host a 1984 reunion/celebration that day.
That’s the highlight of the Tigers’ promotional giveaway schedule for 2014. Among the other notable giveaways this season, The Detroit News has learned:
* A Torii Hunter Silver Slugger mini-bat (Sunday, April 20; all kids);
* A Miguel Cabrera three-time batting champion trophy (Friday, May 9; first 10,000 fans);
* A Max Scherzer 2013 Cy Young Bobblehead (Thursday, June 5; first 10,000 fans) – yes, even complete with two different-colored eyes;
* A Pudge Rodriguez collectable figurine (Saturday, Aug. 2; first 15,000 adults);
* A Justin Verlander mini-Bobblehead (Thursday, Aug. 14; first 10,000 fans); and
* A Cabrera back-to-back MVP Bobblehead (Friday, Aug. 15; first 10,000 fans).
In all, the Tigers are planning 33 giveaways; the complete list will be released Saturday.
As usual, there also will be 17 weekend postgame fireworks show, and Sunday Kids Days are back, too.