June 6, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Second time a charm for bidder on Boston-Edison home he thought he won last week

115 Chicago Blvd. in Detroit. (Buildingdetroit.org)

Detroit — It turns out a man who was thought to have had the winning bid to buy an abandoned home under Mayor Mike Duggan’s auction program will get the structure anyway — but for $37,000 less than his original offer.

Detroiter Carl Hollier, a well-known disc jockey who lives a few blocks from the Boston-Edison house, submitted a winning bid of $97,900 when the home was put back up for bid Friday. There were a total of 229 bids on the home.

But the new winning bid was significantly less than the $135,000 he offered at the end of last week's auction. But it remains more than the auction program’s previous high of $87,100 for a home on Avery.

Hollier said he is holding his breath about his winning purchase, but said he was relieved. He was cautious Friday given what happened in the moments after the first auction last week.

“I'm super excited,” said Hollier, whose bid Friday was $100 higher than the next person. “Right now, it feels great. I’m super thankful that it worked out. I’m just happy that it worked out.”

Hollier was disappointed earlier this week when city officials decided the home needed to be rebid when the city’s website crashed at the end of last Friday’s auction. Hollier challenged how the bid ended in a tie after he received paperwork saying he won the home on Chicago Boulevard in the Boston-Edison district for $135,000.

City officials said there was a computer glitch that shut down the website, halting the bidding with both bids on the table. Mayoral Chief of Staff Alexis Wiley acknowledged the odds were slim that both bids were entered at the same time, but that’s what happened.

Last month, Duggan launched the program to auction off abandoned homes. The goal is to sell nearly 400 vacant homes by the end of the year.

“The most important thing from our perspective is for people to have complete confidence in the BuildingDetroit.org website,” mayoral spokesman John Roach said. “It was the right decision to re-auction the home at 115 Chicago. Now people can see that the Detroit Land Bank auctions are transparent and, above all, fair to anyone who participates.”

Hollier said if there aren’t any other issues, he plans to bring his check to the Land Bank Authority as early as Monday morning so he then can get to work on the home.

“I will go down there the happiest person in the world with my tool belt,” he said. “Give me the keys and (I can) start cleaning up.”

dnichols@detroitnews.com
(313) 222-2072