Try Grilled Foil-Pack Cheesy Fries to please your July 4 crowd. (Pillsbury)
Try a new cookout dish: fun and easy foil packs.
Generally, you make a foil packet by laying a large sheet of heavy-duty foil or a double layer of regular foil on a flat surface. Put the ingredients in the center of the foil. Bring the short ends of the foil together and fold twice to seal; fold in the sides to seal, leaving room for steam. Grill as directed.
1. Jalapeno Poppers. Remove the stems from 8 jalapenos; scrape out the seeds and stuff with Muenster cheese. Toss with olive oil, salt and ¼ teaspoon each ground cumin and coriander on a sheet of foil. Form a packet. Grill over medium-high heat, turning often, 10 minutes.
2. Spiced Nuts. Toss 2 cups salted mixed nuts, 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder, ¼ teaspoon each ground cumin and pepper, and 1 tablespoon butter on a sheet of foil. Form a packet. Grill over medium heat, turning often, 8 minutes.
3. Tomatillo-Pineapple Salsa. Toss ¾ pound diced husked tomatillos, ½ cup diced pineapple, 1 each minced jalapeno and shallot, and 1 tablespoon olive oil on a sheet of foil. Form a packet. Grill over high heat, 12 minutes. Stir in some chopped cilantro.
4. Jerk Chicken Wings. Toss 6 split chicken wings, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 3 tablespoons jerk seasoning on a sheet of foil. Form a packet. Grill over high heat, turning once, 25 minutes. Top with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
5. Roasted Garlic. Slice the point off 1 head garlic to expose the cloves. Coat with 2 teaspoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Seal in a foil packet. Grill over medium-low heat, 45 minutes.
6. Spicy Olives. Toss 1 cup olives, ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes and 1 minced garlic clove on a sheet of foil. Form a packet. Grill over medium-high heat, turning often, 15 minutes.
7. Quesadillas. Sprinkle shredded pepper jack cheese on one half of a flour tortilla; top with chopped rotisserie chicken and cilantro and fold in half to close. Repeat to make more; seal in individual foil packets. Grill over medium heat, turning once, 5 minutes.
8. Garlic Shrimp. Mix ½ stick softened butter, 1 cup chopped parsley, 2 chopped garlic cloves, and salt and pepper. Toss with the juice of 1 lemon, 1 pound unpeeled large shrimp and a big pinch of red pepper flakes. Divide between 2 foil packets. Grill over high heat, 8 minutes.
9. Lobster Scampi. Make the butter mixture for Garlic Shrimp (No. 8). Split 4 thawed frozen lobster tails lengthwise; spread the cut sides with the butter. Divide between 2 foil packets. Grill over high heat, turning once, 10 minutes.
10. Mussels. Toss 2 pounds mussels, 1 shaved fennel bulb, 8 halved cherry tomatoes, ½ cup white wine, ¼ cup olive oil, a pinch of red pepper flakes and salt. Divide between 2 foil packets, leaving extra room for the mussels to open. Grill over medium-high heat, 10 minutes.
11. Pillsbury’s Cheesy Fries. Toss one 14-oz bag of frozen French fries with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Place half of the fries in a single layer in the center of one piece of foil. Repeat with remaining fries and foil. Grill 20 to 30 minutes in a closed grill, stirring once, until fries are crispy and baked through. Top each packet with 2 slices cheese; cook about 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with sliced green onions and bacon bits just before serving.
Detroit News staff contributed to this report.