July 24, 2014 at 8:47 am

Inkster man accused of fatally shooting toddler had been released from jail for good behavior

Jackson (Charles V. Tines / The Detroit News)

Detroit — The 25-year-old Inkster man accused of fatally shooting a 2-year-old girl execution-style was expected to be in jail at the time of incident on an 11-month sentence, but he only served about 3 months after being released for good behavior, according to Wayne County Sheriff’s Office.

Raymone Jackson, 25, wearing a yellow prison jumpsuit, was arraigned before Wayne County Circuit Judge David A. Groner on Wednesday morning on charges including first-degree murder, torture and two counts of assault with intent to murder, among a slew of others.

Groner recalled sentencing Jackson to 11 months of jail time and 2 years of probation on a drug charge in September. At the time of that sentence, Jackson was already on parole for a separate drug charge. So Groner was stumped when he asked Wednesday why Jackson hadn’t done the 11 months but had instead been discharged from parole a week before prosecutors say he shot KaMiya Gross, 2, in the head on July 1 outside of her Inkster home.

“Why would someone be discharged from parole if they picked up a new case?” Groner asked Tuesday. “Wouldn’t they normally be flopped, like given more time?”

“... I think everyone probably assumed he was on parole, he was going to get additional time, he was going to be in prison, but I don’t know what happened.”

Wayne County Sheriff’s Office addressed Groner’s questions Wednesday evening.

“The WCSO was authorized to allow him to serve as an inmate worker, which gives eligible inmates a chance to earn time off their sentence through work in the facility,” Paula Bridges, spokeswoman for Wayne County Sheriff’s Office, said in a statement. “With additional time credited for ‘statutory good behavior,’ Jackson was released in March, following notification to the MDOC.”

Russ Marlan, a spokesman for the Department of Corrections, said Jackson was sent to the Wayne County Jail on Sept. 27 to serve time for the 11-month stint and he was released from the facility March 25.

Court officials initially said he had been held in the Detroit Re-entry Center, a MDOC facility, during the time.

In 2010, Jackson was sentenced to 2-5 years for manufacturing and delivering a controlled substance more than 25 grams. He was paroled in June 28, 2011, Marlan said.

On Sept. 10, Jackson was sentenced to 2 years of probation and 11 months in jail by Groner for another drug offense, possession of a controlled substance less than 25 grams.

Bridges said Jackson was under MDOC watch after his release in March.

“The MDOC had the option to pick Jackson up and return him to MDOC custody — they declined and removed the detainer,” Bridges said. “Upon release in March 2014, Jackson was to be on probation under the supervision of MDOC through September 2015. In addition, Jackson was turned over to Dearborn Heights Police due to outstanding warrants.”

The Department of Corrections supervised Jackson the maximum time allowable, five years through June 25, which was split between prison and parole, Marlan said.

“After June 25, we had no authority over his case at all,” Marlan said.

Jackson’s attorney, Evan Callanan, entered a not-guilty plea to the charges Wednesday, which landed Jackson a probation violation. Callanan waived Jackson’s right to a court hearing on the violation.

His client was scheduled return to Circuit Court on Friday for his trial before Judge Ulysses Boykin.

Jackson also allegedly shot KaMiya’s 36-year-old father, Kenneth French, and 12-year-old cousin, Chelsea Lancaster, on July 1.

Jackson’s co-defendant, Raphael Hearn, is charged with first-degree murder, two counts of assault with intent to murder and committing a felony with a firearm. He was ordered to undergo a mental competency evaluation. Johnson ordered him back to court on Sept. 4 to determine whether he will be bound over for trial.

Jackson's upcoming trial isn't the first time he's been accused of homicide. In 2009, Jackson was arraigned on first-degree murder and felony firearm charges before Inkster judge Sylvia James. He was found not guilty on both charges by jury trial in 2010.

(313) 222-2541