Wayne County officials today could initiate a study to determine what went so spectacularly wrong that construction of a $300 million jail had to be halted this month — and whether the project can be salvaged.
Turkia Mullin's former bosses at the Wayne County Airport Authority want a judge to dismiss her claim for another $113,000, arguing in a legal filing that she wants a do-over on arbitration issues that didn't go her way.
For the first time at Michigan State University, upperclassmen could face a higher tuition increase than freshmen and sophomores.
The campaign of mayoral front-runner Mike Duggan was delivered another blow Tuesday when he was declared ineligible to run for the city's top job following a split decision by the state Court of Appeals. Tuesday night, Duggan told two campaign aides he was strongly leaning against an appeal.
Another oddly ineffective outing for the Tigers' ace Tuesday night that left many at Comerica Park shaking their head. Verlander included, though his visible frustration centered more on the near-misses at home plate — he questioned umpire Mike Winters more than once, then later apologized for showing him up — than what's missing in the bigger picture.
The first time the Crawford brothers saw an NBA player in person was during a camp in Detroit. It was former Pistons forward Grant Hill. The boys were mesmerized. They knew they wanted to follow in his footsteps.
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Justin Verlander struggles as Orioles topple Tigers
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Tigers great Al Kaline tosses some first-pitch tips to John Beilein
- Detroit Red Wings - NHL: Three-year, $22.5M deal with Pavel Datsyuk gives Wings 'good feeling'
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Bullpen versatility suits Tigers' Drew Smyly, but he's still future starter
- Detroit Tigers - MLB: Tigers' top pick Jonathon Crawford will fit right in
- Detroit Pistons - NBA: Michigan's Trey Burke goes to Pistons in Chad Ford's latest mock draft
Quicken Loans Inc. Chairman Dan Gilbert isn't letting the real prospect of Chapter 9 bankruptcy for Detroit cloud his vision for downtown.
Another oddly ineffective outing for the Tigers' ace Tuesday night that left many at Comerica Park shaking their head.
The first time the Crawford brothers saw an NBA player in person was during a camp in Detroit. It was former Pistons forward Grant Hill. The boys were mesmerized. They knew
- Molly Abraham: Motor City Brewing Works charms with its suds and creative pizzas
- Bob Wojnowski: Tigers' Max Scherzer carves out own niche atop star-studded staff
- Neal Rubin: Macomb-bred dentist Ryan Shinska heeds a call to serve poor in Uganda
- Henry Payne : Insolvency doesn't deter Detroit politicians' War on Business
Detroit Police Officer Joseph Weekley will stand trial a second time for the shooting death of 7-year-old Aiyana Stanley Jones after a judge on
Inspiration can come in many forms. For Nick Nicolay, it starts with dark chocolate, Greek yogurt and Japanese horseradish.
Nissan Motor Co.'s take-no-prisoners approach to gaining U.S. market share has the auto industry worried that a price war is brewing that will erode
The Taliban and the U.S. said Tuesday they will hold talks on finding a political solution to ending nearly 12 years of war in Afghanistan, as the
The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that states cannot further burden voters by requiring that they produce proof of citizenship when they register to
Allante Moon wants to solve crimes. The aspiring forensic scientist is one of 42 recipients of the one-year, $2,000 Rosa Parks Scholarship Foundation
Making any Pixar movie is a monster of an undertaking. We’re talking hundreds of people working on animation, on storylines, casting the voices
Tucked away in the back of a parking lot that actually belongs to another restaurant, Motor City Brewing Works probably has what most people would
- NSA director: Surveillance programs foiled about 50 terrorist plots
- Source: Police dog takes Hoffa search to new site
- Mistrial declared for Detroit cop accused in Aiyana's death; retrial likely
- Detroit's Doug Anderson gets air time in NBA 2K14 video game
- ESPN predictions: Hand, McDowell, Scott, Westphal will pick Michigan
- Dan Gilbert buys two more buildings in Detroit's downtown
- Three-year, $22.5M deal with Pavel Datsyuk gives Wings 'good feeling'
- 'Vintage' Justin Verlander missing in shaky outing vs. Orioles
- Appeals court keeps Duggan off city ballot
- Michigan's Trey Burke goes to Pistons in Chad Ford's latest mock draft
- Red Wings' Damien Brunner ponders future as free agent
- Justin Verlander struggles as Orioles topple Tigers
Top Video Picks
Celebrate Michigan Photo Contest
In the Blogs
Dawud Walid Republican national leadership still has not learned its lesson from last yearâ€™s defeat in pushing social legislation in Congress.
Jason Vines I'm reminded of Hoffa Jr.'s anti-tea party admonition last year when campaigning for President Obama in Detroit.
Tom Watkins Gov. Snyder continues to pluck pages from Machiavelli's play book almost daily to Restructure, Reform and Reinvent Michigan.
More from The Detroit News
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.