Pianist and composer Joe Sample, a founding member of the genre-crossing Jazz Crusaders who helped pioneer the electronic jazz-funk fusion style, has died. He was 75.
Dublin — The Rev. Ian Paisley, the divisive Protestant firebrand who devoted his life to thwarting compromise with Catholics in Northern Ireland only to become a pivotal peacemaker in his twilight years, died Friday in Belfast, his wife said. He was 88.
When Lillian Erdeljan was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1990 she began a journey that led her to decades of volunteer service.
The prominent Detroit artist was a beloved professor at the College for Creative Studies for 31 years. She died unexpectedly Tuesday morning of heart failure. Her work was exuberant as her personality, with many describing her as 'generous' and 'inspiring.'
Fresno, Calif Richard Kiel, the towering actor best known for portraying steel-toothed villain Jaws in a pair of James Bond films, has died. The Detroit native was 74.
Los Angeles — Gerald Wilson, the dynamic jazz big band leader, composer and arranger whose career spanned more than 75 years, has died. He was 96.
Detroit The remains of 13 veterans left unclaimed in the Wayne County morgue will be buried with full military honors Thursday in a Michigan military cemetery.
Former Detroit News restaurant critic and features writer Jane Rayburn, 65, died Aug. 22 in her Grosse Pointe Park home. She was fondly remembered in the newsroom for her lively prose, hearty laugh and big heart.
Molly Glynn, an accomplished Chicago theater actress who also played a recurring role as a doctor on the TV series 'Chicago Fire,' has died after a tree toppled by a powerful storm struck her as she rode her bike in a forest park. She was 46.
Atlanta — Chick-fil-A founder S. Truett Cathy died early Monday at 93. The billionaire rose from poverty, building a privately held restaurant chain that famously closes every Sunday but drew unwanted attention for the Cathy family’s opposition to gay marriage.
James E. Harbour, a former Ford and Chrysler executive who as an independent analyst pioneered studies on how the Big Three automakers should better measure up to other carmarkers, has died at age 86.
Los Angeles — Girl group singer Simone Battle was found dead in her West Hollywood home, authorities said Saturday.
New York Joan Rivers, the raucous, acid-tongued comedian who crashed the male-dominated realm of late-night talk shows and turned Hollywood red carpets into danger zones for badly dressed celebrities, died Thursday. She was 81
New York — Andrew Madoff, Bernard Madoff's last surviving son, died of cancer on Wednesday, his lawyer said.
New York — Jimi Jamison, who sang lead on Survivor hits such as 'Burning Heart' and 'Is This Love,' has died. He was 63.
- Mock, 1st female pilot to circle globe, dies at 88 - 12:52 PM
- Former Tel Aviv mayor Shlomo Lahat dead at 87 - 09:43 AM
- World's oldest clown dies at 98 in Montana - 08:05 PM
- Transgender teacher who fought school boards dies - 10:46 AM
- Boxing promoter Dan Goossen dies at age of 64 - 03:56 PM
- Romanian bishop dies; collaborated with communists - 03:00 PM
- USC memory scientist Richard Thompson dies at 84 - 01:47 PM
- James Traficant, convicted ex-congressman, dies - 07:23 PM
- Leader of Mexico's 1968 student protests dies - 04:48 PM
- Sports Sightings: Notable sports photos
- Oregon 46, Michigan State 27
- More rain drenches Metro Detroit
- Spring 2015 NY Fashion Week in full bloom
- Tigers 9, Royals 5
- Tigers 4, Royals 2
- Top Ten: Fall concert preview
- Conservative Dart GT is a good starting point for performance-minded Dodge
- Royals 3, Tigers 0
- What are you looking at?
- Lions 35, Giants 14
- Notre Dame 31, Michigan 0
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.