Dick Wagner, who made music history leading Detroit band the Frost in the '60s, and then in the '70s played with Billy Joel and the Alice Cooper Band, has died. He was 71.
Atlanta — The last surviving member of the crew that dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima once said he thought the bombing was necessary because it shortened the war and eliminated the need for an Allied land invasion that could have cost more lives on bot
Berlin — Karl Albrecht, co-founder of the Aldi grocery store empire and one of the world's richest people, has died in the western German city of Essen. He was 94.
New York Witty and eclectic novelist Thomas Berger, who reimagined the American West in the historical yarn 'Little Big Man' and mastered genres ranging from detective stories to domestic farce, has died at age 89.
Los Angeles — Few actors could register disbelief, exasperation or annoyance with more comic subtlety.
Broadway legend Elaine Stritch, who was born in Detroit and last year returned to live in Birmingham, has died at 89.
Geneva — Texas blues legend Johnny Winter, known for his lightning-fast blues guitar riffs, his striking long white hair and his collaborations with the likes of Jimi Hendrix and childhood hero Muddy Waters, has died. He was 70.
Giacomo 'Black Jack' Tocco, believed by law enforcement to have run the Detroit mafia for more than three decades, died Monday at age 87.
Members of Detroit's art community are remembering longtime Detroit News art critic Joy Hakanson Colby as a reporter of uncommon influence, probing but fair, and a passionate advocate for Michigan artists.
Hicksville, N.Y. — The mother of singer-songwriter Billy Joel, who inspired him to write 'Rosalinda's Eyes,' has died in New York at the age of 92.
Nadine Gordimer, the white South African author whose novels captured the despair and outrage of apartheid and the uneasy coming to terms with its legacy after racial separatism was outlawed, has died. She was 90.
Tommy Ramone, a co-founder of the seminal punk band the Ramones and the last surviving member of the original group, has died, a business associate said Saturday.
Detroit Former broadcast journalist Jennifer Moore, an award-winning reporter for WDIV-TV, died Friday following a two-year battle with cancer, her family said. She was 64.
Nashville, Tenn. — John Seigenthaler, the journalist who edited The Tennessean newspaper, helped shape USA Today and worked for civil rights during the Kennedy administration, died Friday at his Nashville home at age 86, his son said.
David Keith Page was the epitome of the word patriarch, a man who balanced the rigors of working for more than 55 years as a well-respected attorney ...
Grand Rapids — Peter Wege, heir to the Steelcase Inc. fortune whose philanthropy kept much of the office furniture manufacturer's money in Grand Rapids, has ...
Tbilisi, Georgia — Eduard Shevardnadze was a key figure in revolutions abroad and the victim of one at home.
Chicago — Former Democratic U.S. Sen. Alan Dixon of Illinois has died.
Dana Point, Calif. — Louis Brown Jr., the father of O.J. Simpson's ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson, has died at his Southern California home, a family attorney ...
Marilyn Fisher Lundy carried the name of auto barons, but her mission was to help the underserved in Detroit as president and CEO of Matrix Human Services.
Los Angeles — Louis Zamperini, an Olympic distance runner and World War II veteran who survived 47 days on a raft in the Pacific after his bomber crashed, then ...
Los Angeles — An actor best known from the 1960s sitcom 'McHale's Navy,' has died. Bob Hastings was 89.
Ollie Fretter's promise of 'five pounds of coffee if I can't beat your best deal' was corny, kitschy and completely effective.
Known for his sense of humor and big smile, Barney Shea Knorp used those attributes serving in the Army in World War II and during his 45-year career with the ...
- Former Seattle Mayor Paul Schell dies - 03:11 PM
- 'Up the Down Staircase' writer Kaufman dies at 103 - 09:00 PM
- Dan Borislow, magicJack inventor, dies at 52 - 05:52 PM
- Deaf educator and pioneer Robert Panara dies at 94 - 04:39 PM
- Correction: Obit-Thomas Berger story - 01:50 PM
- German supermarket tycoon Albrecht dead at 94 - 01:47 PM
- Longtime UMass men's soccer coach dies - 12:07 PM
- Film, TV legend James Garner, reluctant hero, dies - 02:31 AM
- Family spokesman: Ex-Oregon Gov. Vic Atiyeh dies - 01:46 AM
- Tigers likely want David Price for long haul, at the risk of bloated payroll
- Couple charged with murder in jogger's mauling agree to have 3 dogs destroyed
- Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski sends troll-tastic text to A's Billy Beane after David Price trade
- Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo won't play in Michigan Stadium match
- Friday's Tigers-Rockies: Rajai Davis leading off, playing center field
- Four-star receiver Cameron Chambers picks Michigan State
- Tears flow at funeral for Armada teen; police search nearby lake for evidence
- Tigers' Dombrowski: Sacrificing offense for Price not a significant risk
- Judge: Kilpatrick, frat brother must pay SEC $700K over lavish gifts, trips
- Five keys to blockbuster deal: Added ace gives Tigers playoff edge
- Players stunned as deal's drama unfolds before them
- Coaching trio tweaks Matthew Stafford's game
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.