Bryan Mone had to grow up faster than most kids his age. His older brother, Filimone, seven years his senior, is unable to feed or take care of himself. Bryan Mone, now 18 and a freshman football player at Michigan, was a sixth-grader when he began to take much of the responsibility for caring for his brother.
Martinez's three-run shot into the right-field loft in the ninth had with one dramatic cut, saved the Tigers from a 2-0 rubout and put them on top, 3-2. But the closer role that has been Detroit's problem child for two years is again officially in crisis mode.
- Report: Lions look at three free-agent kickers, amid Nate Freese's struggles
- Tony Paul: Tony Paul's Tigers Mailbag: Joe Nathan shouldn't be closing on back-to-back days
- Tigers' Anibal Sanchez as bullpen option 'not unreasonable'
- Pistons' Brandon Jennings ready for game to rebound
- Steven Moya tries to make the most of September cameo with Tigers
Tigers interested in making Mike Hessman a coach, but minor-league slugger wants to play one more year
Hessman, 36, this season made history, becoming the all-time International League home-run king, and surpassing the 400-homer mark. He's currently at
Minneapolis — After a day of public pressure from angry fans and concerned sponsors, the Minnesota Vikings have reversed course and placed star
Details of the $450 million new home ice for the Wings outline everything from the footprint of the arena, to the number of residences that could be
Cedar Point officials and James decided a partnership announced Tuesday will have greater impact than renaming a ride.
The Wolverines have turned over the ball eight times, including a fumble on a kickoff return last Saturday against Miami (Ohio) and four second-half
Following Michigan State's loss to Oregon, defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi suggested there would be changes to the Spartans' depth chart. Released
The Wayne County Sheriff's Office is investigating an allegation that Jayru Campbell assaulted somebody while in the Wayne County Jail.
- Tuesday's high schools roundup: Roeper rolls to victory over Inter-City
- Saginaw Arthur Hill hoops star Eric Davis commits to Texas over UM, MSU
- Monday's high schools roundup: Fraser defeats Utica Eisenhower in MAC soccer showdown
- Cass Tech football coach misses first half of game searching for Jayru Campbell
The Big Ten Network released times for most of its conference basketball lineup Tuesday and Michigan State and Michigan are featured prominently.
Rawls, a former Michigan player, reportedly was arrested for allegedly stealing a purse and several credit cards this past spring at Soaring Eagle
Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo said he made the decision to present the case to a grand jury after reviewing evidence collected by
- Brad Keselowski wins opening round of NASCAR's Chase for the Championship
- Saturday's motors roundup: Jeff Gordon brings a rookie's enthusiasm to a veteran's hunt for title
- Friday's motors roundup: Kyle Busch gets pole for Chase opener at Chicagoland
- Tony Stewart investigation complete; findings revealed next week
Billy Horschel not only won the final two FedEx Cup playoff events, he beat the top qualifier from each Ryder Cup team — Bubba Watson at Cherry Hills
That Mayweather is even acknowledging the possibility of a fight with Pacquiao is significant, since his previous stance had been to ignore his
- Floyd Mayweather dominates Marcos Maidana for unanimous decision win in rematch
- Jerry Green: 200 years later, 'The Star-Spangled Banner' still has emotional power
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. tries to ignore distractions prior to rematch with Marcos Maidana
- Isiah Thomas, Chad Curtis rank in top five of GQ's 25 'Biggest Sleazebags in Sports'
Latest Headlines Updated Sep 17, 2014 at 6:08 am
Sports on TV
Where to watch the big game in Metro Detroit
FEATURED JOBS THIS WEEK
Get in the Game
Celebrate the Spartans' Rose Bowl victory with a hardcover book
"Return To Roses" chronicles the thrilling Michigan State championship football season and Rose Bowl, with photos, games stories, features and columns by The Detroit News. Order yours at www.kcisports.com or call 1-800-697-3756.
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.