Southfield — A local hotel was evacuated Thursday evening after a small fire broke out in an occupant's room.
Battalion Chief Barry White said at about 7 p.m., a blaze sent smoke throughout the ninth floor of the Westin Southfield Detroit.
"The fire appears to have started from a microwave," White said. "We were able to extinguish the fire with just one hose line within five minutes of arrival and it took about an hour to get all the smoke out."
A woman who was staying in the room when the fire started escaped.
No other hotel occupants were hurt in the fire. White declined to say how many people were evacuated.
White said the room's wall coverings and furnishing sustained significant smoke damage, but there was little fire damage.