Pugh (Steve Perez / Detroit News)
Detroit — Madison Heights Police say prosecutors are reviewing the department’s investigation into claims former Detroit City Council President Charles Pugh had an inappropriate relationship with a teen boy he once mentored.
Madison Heights Police Lt. Robert Anderson confirmed Wednesday police forwarded information to the Oakland County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office on Monday. The prosecutor’s office failed to return several calls requesting comment.
The teen and his mother filed a report with police June 29 alleging Pugh had “inappropriate contact” with the boy. The family claims the incident occurred in a parking lot in the suburb between May 29 and May 31.
Anderson would not disclose Wednesday any details of the investigation, but did say Pugh declined to participate in any interviews through his attorney, Steve Fishman, who told police Pugh “may reconsider in the future.” Fishman declined to comment on Wednesday.
The allegations surfaced around the same time Pugh disappeared from City Hall and asked for a month-long medical leave. Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr denied Pugh’s request and stripped him of his title, salary and responsibilities after the former reporter for WJBK Fox 2 failed to meet a deadline to return to work.
The City Council later elected member Saunteel Jenkins as its new president, replacing Pugh who last month formally submitted his resignation.
Pugh, in a letter to the media last month, denied the allegations.
The teen’s attorney, William Seikaly, in a statement Wednesday commended the police for a “thorough and complete investigation,” adding he won’t be discussing details of the criminal investigation.
“We believe that the prosecutors will act in accordance with the facts and the law, and we will continue to cooperate with them,” he said.