Dominic Raiola is pictured with Matthew Stafford in training camp earlier this season. (Daniel Mears / Detroit News)
Allen Park – Dominic Raiola didn't want to bring the issue up again, he didn't want to extend the story any further, but there were some things he felt he needed to clear up.
"I don’t know how accurate some of the reports were," he said. "I am not going to go through the whole dialogue again but I don't know about the gay comment and talking about somebody's mom dying. How would I know that? That's what I asked myself. It is what it is and it's behind us now."
Asked to clarify, he denied making any homophobic slurs. In fact, he said he was sensitive to those types of remarks since he has family members who are gay.
"I am not going to go into detail, but if you can't come to me and prove what I said with a video or a recording or something like that, then – it's just something that went through a college dorm and got blown up," he said. "The (band) director even agreed, it got blown way out of proportion."
Raiola on Tuesday apologized directly to the director of the University of Wisconsin marching band, issued a public apology and made a financial donation to the band as penance for verbal abusing members of the tuba section before the game Sunday in Green Bay.
"Probably about 95 percent of it was just jawing back and forth and the other 5 percent maybe somebody didn't like it and it went too far," he said. "Whoever took it the wrong way, maybe we can make up for it with a donation. I talked to the band director and we shared some laughs, as I did with the band at the end of the game. So, it's done."
Both the Lions and the NFL said no further fines or penalties would be levied in this case.