A Troy high school student has contracted MRSA, school district officials said Monday.
A freshman who attends Athens High School was diagnosed with the methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, a bacterial staph infection, according to an email sent to parents, students and staff.
The student, who is a member of the freshman football team, was immediately treated and will be able to return to school with the infected area covered in bandages, said Kerry Birmingham, Troy School District spokeswoman.
The school followed protocol to clean and disinfect every area of the building students come in contact with, which included desks, hard surfaces, door knobs and faucets.
MRSA infections are caused by a strain of staph bacteria and spread from skin-to-skin contact or from personal items those infected have used, such as towels, bandages or razors, and spread in areas where people are in close contact, such as locker rooms, according to the website for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Infections generally begin as painful skin boils and are resistant to antibiotics generally used to treat ordinary staph infections.
Anyone with questions can call a county health nurse during regular business hours at (248) 858-1406.