Flint — A 21-year-old Detroit man has been convicted of first-degree murder in the 2012 fatal shootings of three people during a Flint house party.
Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said in a statement he’s pleased with the outcome of the case against James P. Simpkins. The verdict was returned Wednesday. Simpkins faces mandatory life in prison without parole when sentenced Feb. 6.
A message seeking comment was sent to Simpkins’ lawyer.
Simpkins was arrested after the July 2012 shootings. He had called police to report that he had been assaulted.
Prosecutors have said teasing may have preceded the shootings.
Those killed in the attack were identified as his brother, 21-year-old Anthony Simpkins, and 36-year-old Bobby Jackson and 21-year-old Erica Billingsly.
The surviving victim, a 20-year-old Detroit woman, helped lead police to Simpkins.