Northville — Students at an elementary school were briefly evacuated from classrooms Tuesday after a burning odor was reported.
The odor, reported at Silver Springs Elementary School about 10:40 a.m., turned out to have come from a motor on a rooftop ventilation unit that likely burned.
A statement from the Northville Public Schools superintendents office said the motor burned as a result of an apparent brown-out situation related to DTE on Monday.
But DTE spokeswoman Randi Berris said there was no brown out Monday. Instead, there was an underground cable failure outside of the elementary school reported at 9 a.m. Monday.
Crews were at the school Tuesday to try to fix the problem. DTE on Monday night hooked up a generator at the school so that children could attend classes on Tuesday.
But the smell was enough to cause alarm to school officials, who instructed students to bundle up and go outdoors. School buses were sent to the school so children could have somewhere warm to wait.
Firefighters were called to the scene and by 11:15 a.m. ruled that the building was safe for re-entry.