February 24, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Cass Tech's Campbell waives right to preliminary hearing in bodyslamming incident

Detroit — A Cass Tech High School football star charged with assaulting a security officer last month made a brief appearance in court Monday morning for a preliminary hearing.

Jayru Campbell, 17, is accused of picking up the guard and slamming him to the ground head-first in a Jan. 22 incident that was caught on cellphone video. In the footage, Campbell is seen pushing the 23-year-old officer away with one hand and then throwing him down before other security officials bring him under control.

At Monday morning’s hearing, Campbell waived his right to a preliminary hearing. His next court appearance is scheduled for 9 a.m. March 10.

Campbell is charged with assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder, a felony, and misdemeanor aggravated assault. The first charge is a felony and carries a maximum 10-year sentence. The aggravated assault charge is a misdemeanor and carries a possible one-year prison sentence. Campbell, who turned himself in to Detroit Public School security before his arraignment, is being charged as an adult.

Monday, Campbell appeared wearing dark slacks, a white dress shirt and a blue striped tie. He said little as he stood at the podium with defense attorney Jeffrey Edison. As Judge Alicia Jones-Coleman asked him short questions, he answered with a deep voice and nods or shakes of his head.

“The court is going to accept your waiving of the preliminary hearing,” said Jones-Coleman, later thanking Campbell for dressing up for is court appearance.

During his arraignment weeks ago, Chief Magistrate Millicent Sherman ordered Campbell not to have any contact with the school. He was released on $5,000 bond.

On Monday, Prosecutor Kam Townes did not contest Campbell remaining free on bond before his next court date.

Among those in the courtroom were Campbell’s mother as well as his 13-year-old brother who had taken off from school to show support. Family members declined to respond to reporters’ question as they exited the courthouse.

Investigators have said the guard asked Campbell to remove his hood. When he failed to comply, the guard instructed Campbell to go the administrative office.

The guard suffered a facial injury and an open head wound.

Campbell’s case has garnered additional attention due to his prowess on the football field for Cass Tech. The 6-foot-4, 190-pound quarterback led his ream to back-to-back Division 1 state championships in 2011 and 2012 and is verbally committed to Michigan State for its 2015 class.

In November, Cass Tech also suspended Campbell after her threw a punch at an opposing player following a loss to Detroit Catholic Central in the Division 1 semifinals.

(313) 222-2034

Jayru Campbell and his attorney Jeffrey Edison before Judge Detroit Judge Alicia Jones Coleman at Frank Murphy Hall of Justice in Detroit. / David Coates / The Detroit News
Jayru Campbell and mother Tiffany Parrish after waiving his preliminary ... (David Coates / The Detroit News)