Richmond Township — A crew laying drain tile in a farm field ruptured a natural gas line and caused an explosion that injured two men earlier this afternoon, police said.
Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham said the two men, ages 52 and 23, were taken to a hospital and are reported to be in stable condition. He said there were no other injuries or damage to property.
Wickersham said a crew with the Sanilac Drain and Tile Co. was laying the drain tile.
Sheriff’s deputies as well as firefighters and paramedics were sent to the scene in the area of Place Road south of 33 Mile in Richmond Township. The sheriff’s dispatch center received a call about the explosion at about 1 p.m.
“Something bad must have happened over there because there was one hell of an explosion,” said Jim Sager, owner of Strikers Entertainment Center Bowling Alley, about 2½ miles from the explosion.
“We heard the explosion and then the entire building shook.”
Wickersham said the gas line’s built-in safety valves automatically activated and shut off the leak. He also said gas company personnel remained at the scene for repairs.
He said the gas line belongs to Columbus-based Bluewater Gas Storage. According to its website, the firm primarily provides seasonal gas storage services for energy companies.