June 13, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Man accused of being accessory after Alicia Fox's death arraigned

Detroit — A man accused of helping a husband who authorities say fatally shot his wife was arraigned on Friday while authorities continue to search for the woman’s two missing children.

Timothy Jones, 27, of Detroit is being held on a $50,000, 10 percent bond and his preliminary exam is scheduled for June 25 in 36th District Court on being an accessory after the fact to a felony in connection with the shooting death of Alicia Fox, Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor Maria Miller said. The offense is punishable by up to five years in prison.

Attorney Michaell Crews, who stood in at Jones’ arraignment for his defense attorney Randall Upshaw, said Jones turned himself into police. She said he has no history of violence.

“He found himself in a bad situation,” said Crews about Jones.

Jones’ parents were in the courthouse when their son was arraigned by video by Magistrate Laura Echartea. The parents refused to comment about their son or the case.

Fox’s 6-year-old daughter, Kaylah Hunter, and 8-month-old son, Kristian Justice, remain missing.

Fox’s husband, Erin Justice, 28, could face life in prison after he was charged with first-degree murder, possession of a firearm and felony firearm charges. He is being held by authorities in Atlanta where he had an extradition hearing Thursday. The Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office has up to 30 days to file a governor’s warrant to have him extradited to Detroit.

Justice also was convicted in 2008 of possession of a sawed-off shotgun, and delivery and manufacture of methamphetamine.

The charges follow the discovery of Fox’s severely decomposed body on Monday night in an abandoned house in the 6800 block of Penrod in Detroit. Relatives identified her based on her tattoos. She suffered multiple gunshot wounds, including two in the head.

Prosecutors say Justice shot Fox multiple times between May 25-27, Miller said. Investigators found blood evidence this week in the house Justice, Fox and the two children had lived in the 18400 block of Ardmore, nearly eight miles away from where her body was found.

Police say Fox was last seen by her mother at the Ardmore address on May 24 before she left the home with the kids. A text message from Fox’s cellphone was sent on June 3, which made her disappearance less alarming to police, authorities said.

On June 6, Kevin Hunter, Kaylah’s father, reported Fox and the two children missing after which her body was discovered.

Fox’s neighbors said they saw Justice loading up a U-Haul truck with another man more than two weeks ago. A woman who lived near the Penrod address called the family to report suspicious activity involving a U-Haul truck outside of the vacant home where Fox’s body was later found.

Justice apparently flew to Atlanta and had plans to return. Detroit Police Chief James Craig declined to comment on the U-Haul’s connection with the case.

Police returned to Ardmore Street to interview neighbors on Wednesday. They also dug two holes in the backyard of an abandoned home two doors down from Fox’s house, where they found loose dirt.

Authorities say the search was strictly evidential while Craig insisted investigators remain hopeful they’d find the children alive. Police recovered Fox’s missing burgundy Impala on Thursday in a salvage yard in Taylor.

Several law enforcement agencies have assisted in the homicide investigation and search for the children including: Michigan State Police, ATF, Southeast Michigan Crimes Against Children Task Force, FBI, Atlanta Police Department and Fulton County Sheriff’s Department.

Detroit police described Fox’s daughter, Kaylah, as 4-foot-7, 65 pounds, with a light complexion and black hair in cornrows.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Detroit Police Department’s Criminal Investigations at (313) 596-1240.

(313) 222-2541
Detroit News staff writer Oralandar Brand-Williams contributed

Justice (Fulton County Jail)
Kaylah Hunter, left, and Kristian Justice