June 24, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Exec: Lincoln overhaul off to a solid start

The 2015 Lincoln MKC. (Lincoln Motor Co.)

Dearborn — Ford Motor Co.’s Lincoln luxury brand is on track with its overhaul, according to Jim Farley, Ford’s executive vice president of global marketing, sales and service and Lincoln.

“I think we’re off to a really solid start, much to the surprise of a lot of the skeptics,” Farley said Tuesday at a Ford product-reveal event in Dearborn.

Lincoln began its new-vehicle momentum last year with the delayed introduction of the MKZ sedan. This year, Lincoln’s new MKC compact crossover will hit dealer lots in the summer.

The refreshed Navigator, being released this fall, will join the MKC and MKZ, which are two of the four new vehicles Lincoln plans to introduce by 2016. The MKX, a mid-size crossover is due in 2015; another as-yet named vehicle will follow in 2016.

“It’s very important to grow a brand organically,” Farley said. “I know all of us want to solve opportunities immediately and make Lincoln a 3-or-400,000 unit volume, but we’re getting close to 100,000 running right now in the U.S. and that’s a big milestone for us. It’s very important for us not to get ahead of our headlights.

“I think we’re right on plan with where we need to be.”

mmartinez@detroitnews.com
(313) 222-2401
Twitter.com/MikeMartinez_DN