Detroit — Federal authorities are expected to interview a 12-year-old boy Tuesday who was missing for 11 days before he was found barricaded in his own basement last week to determine whether a request for a warrant will be submitted to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, according to Detroit police.
Child abuse charges are likely to be filed against the boy’s father, Charlie Bothuell IV, said his attorney, Mark Magidson, who denied any abuse.
Charlie Bothuell V disappeared on June 14 while working out in his home in the 1300 block of Nicolet Place near Gratiot Avenue. A week later, police searched the family’s home and the surrounding areas with cadaver dogs, which led them to a nearby elementary school playground. Charlie’s father said he searched a nearby apartment complex with relatives and offered a $1,000 reward.
On Wednesday, Detroit police found the boy behind boxes and a metal drum in his basement.
Later that day, Bothuell attended a temporary custody hearing in Wayne County Juvenile Court, during which he unsuccessfully attempted to regain custody of his other two children after referee Leslie Graves revealed Detroit police found bruises on Charlie’s body.
His stepmother and father were granted supervised visitation by the state during the preliminary hearing. The boy and his siblings are currently staying with relatives, police said.