July 1, 2014 at 11:59 pm

58K remain without power after storms sock Metro Detroit

A home on the corner Grixdale and Lanette in Waterford Township was badly damaged Tuesday by two oak trees. (Charles V. Tines / The Detroit News)

About 58,000 DTE Energy customers remain without power in the region after a series of thunderstorms blew through the region early Tuesday.

That figure is down from the 140,000 at the height of the outages. The remaining outages include 27,000 in Oakland County; 8,000 in Wayne County; 14,000 in Livingston County; and 5,000 in Washtenaw County, DTE said.

The storms toppled trees, tore tree limbs and downed more than 800 power lines, according to the utility.

DTE said crews are working around the clock to restore service, and more crews from New York, Ohio, Indiana and Pennsylvania were expected Wednesday to assist those efforts.

Most customers were expected to have service restored by late Thursday, DTE said.

Originally spawned in Iowa, the storm swept through Indiana, Wisconsin and Illinois before zeroing in on southeastern Michigan, bringing with it violent thunderstorms and wind gusts of up to 74 mph.

The storms stayed for a couple of hours and then exited the southeastern Michigan area, said National Weather Service meteorologist Sara Schultz. They didnt bring hail, but they did produce some high winds. We had reports of a 74 mph gust in the Wixom area, 65 in Northville and 60 mph in Ypsilanti.

Statewide, Consumers Energy estimated about 46,850 customers remained without service Tuesday down from 70,000 earlier. Counties most affected included Branch (1,796); Calhoun (20,567); Hillsdale (3,338); Jackson (11,260); Kalamazoo (5,817); and St. Joseph (1,670), the utility said.

Metro Detroiters can anticipate calmer conditions the next few days.

Overnight, lows are forecast to drop into the upper 60s, according to the National Weather Service. Theres a 30 percent chance of showers on Wednesday, when highs could reach the low 80s. Thursday and Friday, temperatures hover in the 70s, the weather service said.