July 9, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Service held for 200 whose bodies went unclaimed

John D. Busby Jr, wipes tears away during the service Wednesday at Our Lady of Hope Cemetery in Riverview. Busby's younger brother, James, was one of the bodies identified at the Wayne County morgue. (Elizabeth Conley / The Detroit News)

Brownstown Township — Dozens of family members, clergy, funeral directors and others have gathered at an area cemetery to pay their respects to 200 people whose bodies had gone unclaimed at a Detroit morgue.

The Rev. Louis Prues spoke at the interfaith memorial service Wednesday and called it “a day of closure.”

The 40-minute service at Our Lady of Hope Cemetery in Brownstown Township was organized by a coalition consisting of the Jewish Fund, the Archdiocese of Detroit and local funeral homes. They came together to ensure the bodies are buried in individual graves.

David Techner of the Ira Kaufman Chapel in Southfield said: “These people are being buried with dignity and respect.”

Richard Clement’s body was one of the previously unclaimed and was buried afterward.

The coalition said all 200 bodies that have been sitting in the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office will be laid to rest within 30 days.

Family members of Richard Clement place dirt on his coffin before his ... (Elizabeth Conley / The Detroit News)
Kathy Gomoll holds a photo of her friend Matt Morris, who was one of the ... (Elizabeth Conley / The Detroit News)