Muskegon— Some patrons at a western Michigan amusement park have been hosed down after being exposed to chlorine gas near a wave pool.
Muskegon County Sheriff Dean Roesler tells The Muskegon Chronicle that the gas was created Friday afternoon by the release of a combination of chemicals at Michigan’s Adventure.
At least 25 people were showered off Friday afternoon in the park’s parking lot. A hazardous materials response team, paramedics and firefighters were called to the park.
Mercy Health, a regional health care system, received 28 people — including children — at two of its locations, spokeswoman Joan Kessler said. They all were treated and released by 9 p.m., she said.
WJRW-AM reports that two hospitals went on lockdown earlier due to the risk of chlorine exposure.
Michigan’s Adventure, north of Grand Rapids in Muskegon, is the state’s largest amusement and water park.