— Police are questioning a person of interest in a carjacking that left a 20-year-old man dead Monday night on the city’s west side.
Officers took a 17-year-old boy into custody Monday night shortly after two male suspects approached the man near Schoolcraft and Rutland at 8:35 p.m. Monday.
One suspect, armed with a gun, demanded his Pontiac G6, said Sgt. Eren Stephens of the Detroit Police Department.
A struggle ensued and the armed suspect, believed to be in his teens, fired shots, striking the 20-year-old, Stephens said.
The victim, who police say was an active-duty military reservist, was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead. His name was not released.
The Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office was unable to formally identify the victim as his body was still in the hospital Tuesday morning, according to Wayne County spokeswoman Mary Mazur.
Cause and manner of death are expected to be determined after an autopsy is conducted on Wednesday, Mazur said.
The man’s car later was recovered on the west side; investigators are processing it for fingerprints, Stephens said.
Police expect to hold press conference later Tuesday to discuss the the incident.
Anyone with tips is asked to call Detroit Police Department’s Homicide Bureau at (313) 2596-2260 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP.
The slaying comes as police statistics found the number of carjackings has dropped this year compared to 2013.
In the first half of 2014, Detroit had recorded 30 percent fewer carjackings than the same period last year.
Police Chief James Craig attributed the drop at least in part to better police work and criminals’ reluctance to prey on residents who may be carrying guns.