August 5, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Third person questioned in shooting death of sleeping Detroit 8-year-old

Pearson )

Detroit police are questioning a person of interest in the fatal shooting last week of an 8-year-old boy.

Investigators were not releasing additional details Tuesday night about the person, said Sgt. Eren Stephens of the Detroit Police Department.

The questioning comes a day after two others were charged in connection with the shooting of Jakari Pearson. The child had been sleeping in his bed early July 30 when a high-powered rifle was fired outside his unit at the Brewster Homes complex in the 600 block of East Street, near Interstate 75 and Mack.

Calvin Mosby, 28, and Devaunte Starks, 17, both of Detroit, were arraigned Monday in 36th District Court on charges including first-degree murder and assault with intent to murder. A not-guilty plea was entered on their behalf. They were being held in the Wayne County Jail.

Mosby, who prosecutors said had previously dated the victimís mother and had threatened her, also was charged with felon in possession of a firearm.

A day before the shooting, Jakariís mother reported Mosby had broken into her house, police said. She confronted him about the break-in over the phone, and they began to argue.

The Detroit Police Major Crime Surveillance Unit tracked Mosby to a Greyhound station. He was arrested on a warrant from a separate incident.

A preliminary examination was scheduled Aug. 13 for Mosby and Starks.