New Haven— A man lost most of his hand in a fireworks accident and has been taken to University of Michigan hospital for treatment.
Macomb County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a call at roughly 9:20 p.m. on Saturday night about a man injured by an explosive in the 59000 block of 1st Street. When they arrived they saw a 37-year-old man kneeling in the front room of the house with a towel over his hand, according to Lt. John Michalke.
The assistant chief of the New Haven Fire Department, which also responded to the emergency call, told deputies a mortar had blown up in the man’s left hand, leaving him with only his index finger and thumb.
Authorities said a witness told them the man was on the patio behind the New Haven home when the mortar exploded in his hand. Debris shot several feet into the air, according to Michalke.
The man was initially taken to a Mt. Clemens hospital and then to U-M Hospital in Ann Arbor.
Michalke said drinking was a factor in the incident.