How hard is it to trim $1,000 from the family's monthly budget? Personal finance columnist Brian O'Connor conducts a 10-week experiment.
The Grand Experiment: Lopping the family budget
The Detroit News aims to provide a forum that fosters smart, civil discussions on the news and events that we cover. The News will not condone personal attacks, off topic posts or brutish language on our site. If you find a comment that you believe violates these standards, please click the "X" in the upper right corner of the post to report it.
- Detroit retirees angry, anxious over EM's pension proposals
- Joe Louis Arena will scarcely be missed when Red Wings' new arena goes up
- Tigers have big expectations for Texas reliever Corey Knebel
- $2.65B for Metro Detroit highways pending
- Tigers pitchers, including Jose Valverde, rocked by Orioles
- Actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy at age 51
- Constitution may not protect Detroit's pensions
- Even at the end, Duggan full of surprises
- $650M hockey arena plan moves forward
- Proposed Red Wings arena would seat 10% fewer fans
- In Metro Detroit, all the roads lead to attorney Joumana Kayrouz
- Riley Bullough will be a tailback for Michigan State
Jobs Across Michigan
More from The Detroit News
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.