How hard is it to trim $1,000 from the family's monthly budget? Personal finance columnist Brian O'Connor conducts a 10-week experiment.
The Grand Experiment: Lopping the family budget
The Detroit News aims to provide a forum that fosters smart, civil discussions on the news and events that we cover. The News will not condone personal attacks, off topic posts or brutish language on our site. If you find a comment that you believe violates these standards, please click the "X" in the upper right corner of the post to report it.
- What Red Wings lack in skill, they're making up for with grit
- Some stats reveal ominous signs for Tigers closer Jose Valverde
- Danialle Karmanos abruptly cancels white-tie gala for hubby
- Tornado levels Oklahoma City suburbs; death toll rises
- Former airport CEO Mullin alleges she's owed $90K more, lawyer due more in fees
- Ex-girlfriend details affair at Wayne County Judge McCree's disciplinary hearing
- Pistons make most of lottery selections
- Meijer first to open at Detroit's Gateway Marketplace shopping center
- Hathaway lawyer pleads case to keep her out of prison; feds want her to serve 12-18 months
- Once-grizzled Wings proving youth is served in postseason
- Second-period flurry powers Red Wings to 2-1 lead in series
- Underdog Red Wings looking like top dogs in 2-1 lead
Jobs Across Michigan
More from The Detroit News
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.