The Pistons came in well aware the Minnesota Timberwolves thrive off opposing teams taking bad shots, so decision-making would be critical Friday night.
It looks like such an easy proposition for Greg Monroe, so easy you can hear the encouragement from the Pistons bench. 'Shoot it, Moose!'
Auburn Hills — Chauncey Billups isn't sure how much losing is supposed to hurt, but he seems certain of the feeling when he looks down the bench and around the locker room that it doesn't agitate players the way it should.
O'Neal says he's seeking redemption for 'Shaq Fu.' The infamous fighting game starring O'Neal is considered to be among the worst games ever made.
The Palace had the old Bee Gees hit 'Stayin' Alive' playing midway through the fourth quarter of the Pistons' game against rival Bulls Wednesday night. Ten minutes earlier, it could have described the Pistons' slim playoff chances.
Being passive certainly isn't how anyone would describe Pistons forward Josh Smith, but if he felt he wasn't aggressive enough before, it truly can't be said now.
IndyCar champion Scott Dixon was on The Palace floor before the Pistons-Bulls game Wednesday night, making a new friend in Andre Drummond.
Collins became the NBA's first openly gay player when he signed his first deal Feb. 23. Teams can sign players to two 10-day contracts, and then have to sign them for the rest of the season if they want to keep them.
Whoever emerges between Atlanta, Charlotte, Cleveland and yes, the Detroit Pistons, are essentially signing up for target practice — in the form of the right to play the Miami Heat and Indiana Pacers in the first round.
That was thanks in large part to how hard Andre Drummond, their 20-year-old man-child in the middle, was playing Monday, grabbing a career-high 26 rebounds to go with 17 points in the Pistons' 96-85 victory over the stumbling, bumbling Knicks.
Drummond is playful, youthful, and impressionable and he hates losing. The smile has been replaced by a sullen look because the Pistons are so bad.
When you lose four in a row, style points don't count. Especially if you're the desperate Detroit Pistons playing the equally desperate New York Knicks Monday at The Palace.
It's been a point of emphasis through most of the season and will continue to be, no matter who the coach is or who's on the Pistons roster: Defense.
Dazzling from inside and out, James put on the best scoring show of his NBA life on Monday night, pouring in 61 points — a career high and a franchise record — as the Miami Heat beat the Charlotte Bobcats 124-107.
One of the mistakes Pistons president Joe Dumars made was not bringing back at least one of his Bad Boys teammates as a head coach, assistant coach, or even as ...
Sources told The Detroit News the only conversations Gores and Thomas have had revolved around the Bad Boys reunion, when Gores stepped in financially, listing ...
Charlotte got Gordon from the Detroit Pistons with a future first-round draft pick in June of 2012 for Corey Maggette. The Bobcats will get Detroit's pick this ...
Pistons owner Tom Gores is considering replacing team president Joe Dumars with another Bad Boys-era legend, Isiah Thomas, according to a report.
As the losses begin to pile up, and a treacherous March schedule begins to take form, you wonder if the wide-eyed wonder birthed by optimism makes way to ...
The triple bricked off the rim, but that was the only thing that didn't go right as they turned the first half into a layup drill and relaxed the rest of the ...
Although there would certainly be some Pistons players who weren't unhappy to see former coach Maurice Cheeks go, Brandon Jennings isn't one of them — and ...
With NBA legends Bill Russell and Oscar Robertson in attendance, Earl Lloyd was honored Friday with a statue in the lobby of the Walker Convocation Center on ...
The players all insist the effort has been better since owner Tom Gores fired head coach Maurice Cheeks on Feb. 9, despite their 2-6 record under interim coach ...
The Pistons weren't in need of a perfect game against the machine-like San Antonio Spurs, but a superior performance Wednesday night. They didn't quite get it.
Internal improvement seems like a concept that should be long gone nearly 60 games into an 82-game NBA season, but the Pistons feel like they still have ...
Billups began thinking about life after basketball when he was 31. He earned his business degree from Colorado, and met Junior Bridgeman during a charity ...
Collins' jersey was the biggest seller of the day Tuesday on NBAStore.com, two days after he signed with the Brooklyn Nets and became the league's first openly ...
With 16 of the final 25 games on the road, the sense of urgency has reached new heights for a Pistons team currently out of the playoff picture by four games.
Collins said Tuesday morning that he's received phone calls, texts and emails, as well as messages on Facebook and Twitter, and has been spending time 'just ...
New York Knicks point guard Raymond Felton was arraigned on two felony weapons possession charges in Manhattan Criminal Court on Tuesday, following his early ...
AP NBA Headlines
- Mavs blow 30-point lead, rally past Blazers 103-98 - 12:29 AM
- Rockets win 4th straight, 112-86 over Pacers - 12:29 AM
- Faried, Lawson lead Nuggets past Lakers 134-126 - 11:56 PM
- Rondo's 20 points lead Celtics over Nets 91-84 - 11:37 PM
- Davis leads Pelicans over Bucks 112-104 - 11:00 PM
- Timberwolves beat Pistons 114-101 - 10:30 PM
- Anthony, Knicks enjoy easy 108-81 win over Jazz - 10:14 PM
Pistons' salary cap corner
- 2013-14 salary cap: $58.5 million (2012-13 cap was $58.044 million).
- Current Piston salaries for 2013-14 season: $35,045,558.
- Approximate salary cap space for 2013-14 season: $22,998,442 (not including slotted salary for 2013 first-round draft pick).
- PF Charlie Villanueva: $8,580,000
- SG/PG Rodney Stuckey: $8,500,000 (not fully guaranteed)
- PF/SF Jonas Jerebko: $4,500,000 PF/C
- Greg Monroe: $4,086,454 PG/SG
- Brandon Knight: $2,793,960 C
- Andre Drummond: $2,462,400 C
- Slava Kravtsov: $1,500,000 (not fully guaranteed)
- SF/SG Kyle Singler: $1,045,000
- SF Khris Middleton: $788,872 SG
- Kim English: $788,872 (not fully guaranteed)
Stats, schedules and more
Sports on TV
Where to watch the big game in Metro Detroit
- 1 Tampa Bay at Toronto, MLB
- 9 Nugaev vs. Quintero, ESPN2
- Noon, Big Ten women, Penn State vs. Ohio State, BTN
- 2:30, Big Ten women, Purdue vs. Iowa, BTN
- 6:30, Big Ten women, Michigan State vs. Michigan, BTN
- 7, Kent State at Akron, ESPN2
- 7, Houston at Central Florida, CBSSN
- 7, Horizon, Wright State vs. Oakland, WDFN
- 7:30, Harvard at Yale, NBCSN
- 9, Big Ten women, Nebraska vs. Minnesota, BTN
- 7, Michigan State at Michigan, COM900
- 9, St. Cloud State at Colorado College, CBSSN
- 1, PGA Tour, Cadillac Championship, GC
- 6:30, PGA Tour, Puerto Rico Open, GC
- 2, Sprint Cup, Kobalt 400 practice, FS1
- 3:30, Nationwide, Boyd 300 practice, FS1
- 5, Nationwide, Boyd 300 practice, FS1
- 6:30, Sprint Cup, Kobalt 400 qualifying, FS1
- 7, Memphis at Chicago, ESPN
- 8, Detroit at Minnesota, FSD+/97.1
- 9:30, Indiana at Houston, ESPN
- 7:30, New Jersey at Detroit, FSD/1270
Pistons Game Guide
Get in the Game
- Brooklyn, N.Y., man arrested in 3 Michigan bank robberies after Facebook posting
- Feds' photos reveal Bobby Ferguson's private world
- Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski on the prowl for Andy Dirks' replacement
- Blaze burns through Heidelberg Project's 'Party Animal House'
- David Legwand scores, Red Wings pummel Devils with seven goals
- Big-armed 4-star Brandon Wimbush among Michigan's 2015 QB targets
- Detroit cop charged in sex assault of 911 caller
- Grandville High hockey player dies in sleep from enlarged heart
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- After nearly transferring, Jordan Morgan now satisfied with Michigan career
- In photos: Lions free agents, and their chances of staying
- Life of Pontiac woman probed in push to identify mummified remains
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.