The seeds of transformation were at the Detroit Show in 2000. The Santa Fe was the first Hyundai recipe cooked up with American tastes in mind.
Detroit midsize sedans are coming back. Most like class-leader McCamry is Chevy's Malibu with the same, nothing-fancy formula. Does it work?
Like many of you, I was raised with the paradigm that cars were for transportation only.
Injecting a little water into the fuel-air mixture of an internal combustion engine for cooling and knock control is not a new idea, says Gale Banks. So while the idea may be old, Banks has made it, well, if not new, then very much improved.
At 8 years old, Marina Anderson was revving her parents' cars up and down the driveway of the family home. At 10, she was riding dirt bikes full throttle. At 17, she got her first National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) license after a stint at an Indianapolis racing school.
The Red Baron rear airfoil advertises the 'Ru as trouble. This is not a subtle car. The STI comes in full war paint ready for battle.
Now and again, cars that fall outside mainstream categories can be worth considering if you are looking for something special.
When was the last time you thought about car tires? It might have been last week, when you discovered how poorly your car handled snowy roads. It reminds me of billionaire investor Warren Buffett's bon mot, 'you only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.' After all, people ignore their tires until they fail. But a little bit of knowledge and preventive maintenance can help you avoid such catastrophes.
How sweet is this: A sort-of stock looking (though with some subtle changes) 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle, but then you open the hood and behold the beautifully packaged supercharged engine that turns the Cadillac CTS-V into a road-going rocket, albeit a very luxurious one?
Burning cars and bankruptcies have marred the market for batteries powering electric vehicles. That isn't deterring the world's biggest chemical maker BASF SE from investing in the space.
If the Corvette was 2014 Car of the Year then the SS Daytona pace car was Stealth Car of the Year. Don't let the wrapping fool you. This milk carton is spiked with moonshine.
Cave Creek, Ariz. In a drag race between Big 3 HDs, the Silverado won despite a 5 percent torque deficit. I know what you're thinking: Dude, you drag-raced pickups?
Are you tired yet of having to scrape snow and ice from your windshield? Or how about having to start your car 20 minutes before leaving for work in the morning so the engine heats up and the defrosters start to melt last night's frigid accumulation?
Tucked away in the backstreets of Frankfort, a picturesque harbor town in northwest Michigan, is an automotive gem with strong Motown connections.
Changing technology might make car owners' driving experiences easier, but some auto repair shop owners' expenses have increased as quickly as they adapt the ...
Sales of automobiles in the U.S., forecast to reach a seven-year high in 2014, are increasing demand for car parts by Toyota Motor Corp. and General Motors Co., ...
Luke: 'There's a lot of lessons to be learned (from Detroit's sedan losses). When it comes to trucks. . . it's a very personal thing to protect this segment.'
The $82k, four-seat ELR is a slick vehicle, but the $75k, 7-seat Model S is jaw-dropping. Game-changing, Stone-cold awesome.
If you are baby boomer like me, you might have owned a VW Beetle as one of your first cars. Those '70s era Bugs may have been dependable and cheap, but they ...
Turns out Frank Lloyd Wright isn't the only architectural artist raised in the tiny town of Spring Green, Wis. The community of 600 west of Madison and within ...
If the electricity is being offered for free, as it is in many electric-car charging locations, Michael Delune will park his Tesla Model S there. Even if he ...
The new, sleek, nimble-handling compact 3 is as lovable as the new, sleek, nimble-handling mid-size 6. So which to buy?
Another solid year for the Lexus RX, lux SUV class valedictorian. Enough about goody two shoes. Acura MDX and Caddy SRX got game.
We intrepid Northerners are accustomed to zooming around on snow and ice without a second thought, but not everyone is. That was apparent last week in the ...
When the Michigan International Auto Show opens today in Grand Rapids, the mix of rare antique cars, today's popular brands and previews of next year's models ...
You may not know a 1932 Ford from a post-war Plymouth, but chances are you've heard the Beach Boys sing:
Car Rankings From U.S. News
Resources for consumers
- Profiles, specs and prices for any new vehicle, from Cars.com
- Aggregate rankings from published vehicle reviews, compiled by U.S. News & World Report
- Best and worst fuel economy
- Top 10 cash-back offers
- Search for latest rebates
- Best bets in used cars
- Kelley Blue Book used-car values
- Best and worst car resale values
- Understanding warranties
- J.D. Power initial quality rankings
- J.D. Power dependability ratings
- J.D. Power customer service rankings
- J.D. Power sales satisfaction ratings
- NHTSA crash tests and rollover ratings
- Safety ratings by Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
- Finding the best financing deal
- Affordability calculator
- Car loan calculator
- Loan vs. lease calculator
- Cash back vs. low-interest loan
- Vehicle recalls
- Final demolition of Brewster-Douglass complex starts Monday
- Michigan's Jordan Morgan shows champion's resolve on rewarding night
- Tigers need smarts to balance speed; six-spot seems to suit Austin Jackson
- Senior moment: Inspired Jordan Morgan leads Michigan in home finale
- Obama wobbles again on Israel
- Brad Ausmus will give Tigers rookie Nick Castellanos time to grow
- Is Legwand-centered line with Franzen, Nyquist answer to Wings' offensive woes?
- Search resumes for missing Malaysian jetliner
- Guyton after Heidelberg fire: 'We're going to be all right'
- Spartans finally adding some punch to their preseason promise
- Michigan players revel in the net gain of their Big Ten title experience
- Editorial: Politics drives serial Obamacare delays
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.