Washington — U.S. retail sales in March rose by the largest amount in 18 months, led by strong gains in sales of autos, furniture and a number of other products.
Family Dollar plans to cut some jobs and close about 370 underperforming stores as it tries to reverse sagging sales and earnings. The discount store operator will also lower prices on about 1,000 basic items.
New York — Lands' End will start trading as a separate public company on Monday after being spun off from Sears.
Paris — Fashion retailer H&M has pulled a vest from its shelves worldwide after accusations its design, which featured a menacing skull in the center of a Star of David, was anti-Semitic.
All it took was a small opening in a wall inside the Material Girls in Dearborn to make a huge difference in the shop's original size, creating room for more fabric, sewing notions and larger class sizes.
Charlotte, N.C . — Mooresville, N.C.-based Lowe's Cos. Inc. is pushing to attract more professional contractors, builders and tradesmen, targeting their business with special discount programs, dedicated salespeople and sophisticated new data-mining.
New York — Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is hoping to shake off the winter sales doldrums with its biggest spring sales push ever.
General Motors Co.'s campaign to prove it's new is making it look pretty old — and using the world's largest media market to do it. - 04/18/2014
It's no secret that we Americans can be a nation of dim-bulbs when it comes to spending our money, which we so often do in breathtakingly stupid ways. During 2012, for example, we spent $11. - 04/21/2014
In the Blogs
json feed error: status is not ok
FEATURED JOBS THIS WEEK
AP Business Headlines
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock - 08:10 PM
- Facebook 1Q results soar; CFO to step down - 06:35 PM
- Vermont moves toward labeling of GMO foods - 01:58 AM
- US-Japan trade talks suspended without agreement - 05:13 AM
- Draghi wants to publish ECB minutes - 05:22 AM
- Oil prices recoup earlier losses on Ukraine woes - 04:39 AM
- Alstom shares jump amid talk of GE buyout - 04:49 AM
- Russian social media CEO quits, flees country - 04:16 PM
- Tokyo court starts Mt. Gox bankruptcy proceedings - 05:30 AM
Business Wire headlines
Latest company announcements of interest to Michigan.
- Chris McCosky's game-by-game Lions predictions
- FCC to propose pay-for-priority Internet standards
- Detroit plan to recoup $239M paid to annuity accounts threatens some pensions
- Tigers bullpen squanders strong outing by Drew Smyly
- Fragmented Detroit area casino market may see casualties as revenue slows
- Groundbreaking planned Thursday for $17M makeover of Midtown buildings
- Despite Tigers reliever Phil Coke's struggles, he's 'here to win'
- As task gets tougher against Bruins, Red Wings seek the poise to bounce back
- Going to school in the 2015 Ford Focus ST
- Lions' Golden Tate, Matthew Stafford working on communication skills
- Tigers manager Brad Ausmus defends leaving Ian Krol in game
- 2014 Lions schedule: Giants will visit Detroit for Monday night opener
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.