Washington — U.S. retail sales in March rose by the largest amount in 18 months, led by strong gains in sales of autos, furniture and a number of other products.
Family Dollar plans to cut some jobs and close about 370 underperforming stores as it tries to reverse sagging sales and earnings. The discount store operator will also lower prices on about 1,000 basic items.
New York — Lands' End will start trading as a separate public company on Monday after being spun off from Sears.
Paris — Fashion retailer H&M has pulled a vest from its shelves worldwide after accusations its design, which featured a menacing skull in the center of a Star of David, was anti-Semitic.
All it took was a small opening in a wall inside the Material Girls in Dearborn to make a huge difference in the shop's original size, creating room for more fabric, sewing notions and larger class sizes.
Charlotte, N.C . — Mooresville, N.C.-based Lowe's Cos. Inc. is pushing to attract more professional contractors, builders and tradesmen, targeting their business with special discount programs, dedicated salespeople and sophisticated new data-mining.
New York — Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is hoping to shake off the winter sales doldrums with its biggest spring sales push ever.
Meijer Inc. will expand into Wisconsin next year, further broadening its Midwest footprint with a $146 million distribution center and six new superstores in its sixth state, the company said today.
IKEA in Canton Township is expanding. The 311,000-square-foot home furnishings store plans to add 44,000-square-feet of space starting this summer. The store will remain open during construction, which is expected to be finished by spring of 2015.
General Motors Co.'s campaign to prove it's new is making it look pretty old — and using the world's largest media market to do it. - 04/18/2014
It's tax time, and that always puts me in mind of noted author and financial planning expert Mark Twain. - 04/14/2014
In the Blogs
json feed error: status is not ok
FEATURED JOBS THIS WEEK
AP Business Headlines
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall - 04:45 PM
- Coachella's young audience a marketers paradise - 11:24 AM
- Big names among prospective Buffalo Bills buyers - 02:27 PM
- 5 features an Amazon phone might offer - 09:45 PM
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review - 01:17 AM
- EU official against cutting Russia gas ties - 06:15 AM
- National energy boom blurs political battle lines - 08:55 AM
- Fiat and Chrysler to build 3 Jeep models in China - 01:37 PM
- Delay won't quell 2014 wrangling over Keystone XL - 03:44 AM
Business Wire headlines
Latest company announcements of interest to Michigan.
- Bruins' Milan Lucic apologetic in dirty play to Wings' Danny DeKeyser
- Michigan adds recruit Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman to 2014 class
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Max Scherzer recovers from early homer, Tigers rally past Angels
- Schedule could prevent Tigers from attracting 3 million fans
- Red Wings follow the plan and steal Game 1 from Bruins
- Former Piston Adrian Dantley calls Isiah Thomas 'con man' in radio interview
- FBI investigating potential bomb threat on Delta flight from Detroit to Denver
- Brady Hoke: Michigan has shown great chemistry during offseason
- Fiat Chrysler to build 3 Jeep models in China
- Overturned challenge helps give Tigers lead over Angels
- Why do you care how much money Matthew Stafford makes?
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.