Target Corp. hired Brian Cornell as chief executive officer, choosing the former head of PepsiCo Americas Foods to take the job after Gregg Steinhafel was ousted following a hacker attack and a botched expansion in Canada.
Most fashion-conscious shoppers don't head to Meijer stores specifically for a pair of palazzo pants, a Boho chic blouse or the necklace that makes the outfit. But the company, founded as a grocery store chain, is hoping to recast its image as a shopping destination where orange is not just produce but also a fashion statement.
New York — Wal-Mart U.S. chief Bill Simon is stepping down after being in the role since June 2010, the company said Thursday.
New York — Nonprofit organization Goodwill Industries Inc. is working with federal officials to investigate a possible security breach.
Washington — U.S. retail sales increased slightly in June, evidence that consumers remain cautious despite steady job gains this year.
Trenton, N.J. — Tracy Morgan has sued Wal-Mart over last month's highway crash that seriously injured him and killed a fellow comedian.
New York — Crumbs says it is shuttering all its stores, a week after the struggling cupcake shop operator was delisted from the Nasdaq.
Some area theater chains are beginning to add or upgrade services to make moviegoing more accessible. Among the devices for the visually impaired is Fidelio, and the hearing impaired can use CaptiView.
New York — Target is 'respectfully' asking its customers to not bring firearms into its stores, even where it is allowed by law.
New York The battle for control of clothing chain American Apparel is heating up. Ousted American Apparel CEO Dov Charney has increased his stake in the clothing chain to nearly 43 percent as he fights to keep control of the company he founded in 1998.
The Grand Rapids-based Michigan bookstore chain Schuler Books has acquired Nicola's Books, the independent Ann Arbor bookstore owned and operated by Nicola Rooney for 19 years.
Mackinac Policy Conference
A Michigan-born friend who lives in New York City now loves to remind me that few cities fascinate the Big Apple and its media more than Detroit, especially once its dysfunction became the epicenter... - 08/01/2014
The nuns at old St. Mary's taught me that there were two kinds of grace: sanctifying and actual. - 07/28/2014
In the Blogs
json feed error: status is not ok
FEATURED JOBS THIS WEEK
AP Business Headlines
Business Wire headlines
Latest company announcements of interest to Michigan.
- Tigers' huge trade for David Price comes at huge cost
- Five questions on David Price trade: Who plays in center field?
- What they're saying about the Tigers' trade for David Price
- Tigers deal Austin Jackson, Drew Smyly for ace David Price
- Tigers pay price for 3 Cy Young winners in arms race
- Players stunned as deal's drama unfolds before them
- Five keys to blockbuster deal: Pitching gives Tigers playoff edge
- Couple face murder charges in dog attack on Livonia jogger
- Suddenly, Tigers' Rajai Davis finds himself center of attention
- Body found in Royal Oak cemetery may be missing Huntington Woods man
- Lions' Larry Webster defeats learning curve
- Life goes on around body found frozen in vacant Detroit warehouse
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.