An Internet video posted online Tuesday purported to show the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State group, which called it retribution for continued U.S. airstrikes in Iraq.
Al-Shabab's top leader was traveling in one of two vehicles hit Monday night in a U.S. military strike, a member of the Somali Islamic extremist group said today.
Nashville, Tenn. — Thirty-two teens escaped from a Nashville youth detention center by crawling under a weak spot in a fence late Monday, and nine of them were still on the run Tuesday, a spokesman said.
Phoenix — A 9-year-old girl who accidentally killed a shooting range instructor with an Uzi in northern Arizona had said immediately after the shooting that she felt the gun was too much for her and had hurt her shoulder, according to police reports relea
Kiev, Ukraine — Russian military forces have been spotted in both major rebel-held cities in eastern Ukraine, an official said Tuesday, prompting Ukraine to declare that it now has to fight the Russian army, not just the separatists.
Jerusalem — The popularity of the Hamas militant group among Palestinians in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip has spiked significantly following the 50-day war with Israel, according to an opinion poll released Tuesday.
Cleveland — The pilot of a small plane told a ground controller that he was not climbing fast enough and asked for permission to turn around just before his rented aircraft plummeted to the ground last week, killing all four college students aboard, a Nat
United Nations — A key international doctors group is warning that the world is 'losing the battle' against Ebola and U.N. officials are imploring all countries to step up their response by sending help to affected countries.
Jacksonville, Fla. — A Delta Air Lines flight from New York to West Palm Beach, Florida, was diverted to Jacksonville because of a dispute between passengers over a reclining seat.
Cincinnati — An 86-year-old World War II veteran was recovering Tuesday after being beaten outside a southwest Ohio hospital where he was visiting his ailing wife, authorities said.
St. Louis — More strong storms rumbled through the Midwest, with a tornado reported in Kansas and other places seeing heavy rains, large hail and strong winds.
Washington — For the second time this year, President Barack Obama will travel to Russia's backyard to assure nervous nations of his ironclad commitment to their security.
Baghdad — An international rights group accused the extremist Islamic State group on Tuesday of carrying out a systematic campaign of 'ethnic cleansing' in northern Iraq that includes mass killings, abductions and other war crimes.
Beirut — The World Food Program says it provided food to a record 4.1 million people inside Syria last month.
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia — A top Saudi security official said Tuesday that police had arrested 88 men suspected of being part of an al-Qaida cell that was plotting ...
Tehran, Iran — Iran on Tuesday unveiled a new surface-to-air missile and two radar systems it claims will boost the country's defense capabilities.
Pyongyang, North Korea — North Korea gave foreign media access on Monday to three detained Americans who said they have been able to contact their families and — watched by officials ...
Tehran, Iran — Iran's president urged the country's clerics Monday to be more tolerant of the Internet and new technologies, which are often the target of criticism by ...
New York — An intruder stabbed a couple who unwittingly interrupted a burglary at their home, killing the man and injuring his wife, police said Monday.
— President Barack Obama has sent official notification to Congress of his order for last week's airstrikes and humanitarian aid drops to help Iraqis ...
New York — Janice Moreno graduated from college with a degree in English literature, but never landed a job paying more than $12 an hour. Now, at 36, she's back in the ...
Washington — U.S. military forces targeted the Islamic extremist al-Shabab network in an operation Monday in Somalia, the Pentagon said.
New York — Colorful floats, elaborate costumes, politicians and merrymakers filled Brooklyn's streets Monday for the annual West Indian Day Parade, a massive Caribbean ...
Beirut — Under cover of darkness, 40 Filipino peacekeepers escaped their besieged outpost in the Golan Heights after a seven-hour gunbattle with Syrian rebels, ...
Belfast, Northern Ireland — A security alert over a suspected bomb has shut down the main motorway through Belfast, triggering traffic chaos on the 20th anniversary of the Irish ...
Washington An international airdrop of food and water supported by U.S. airstrikes sought to bring relief to the beleaguered Iraqi town of Amirli, which has been under ...
They were killed in Wisconsin, New York and California. Some were shot on the street. One was killed in a Wal-Mart. Another died after being placed in a ...
Manila, Philippines — The Philippine military chief says more than 70 Filipino peacekeepers have escaped from two areas in the Golan Heights that came under attack by Syrian ...
Salt Lake City — Life-sized figures sketched into red rock cliffs in Canyonlands National Park were drawn 1,000 years more recently than what had long been ...
A special education teacher accused of killing her severely disabled 8-year-old daughter by withholding food and medical care could inherit nearly $1 million ...
Milwaukee — If you want to feel old, this might do it: Madonna's daughter, Lourdes Ciccone Leon, has enrolled as a freshman at the University of Michigan. -- Read More
Latest Photo Galleries
- Recovery knocks 21 fish species from watch list - 09:02 PM
- Police: Death of teen whose body burned was random - 08:22 PM
- It's no longer safe to recline your airplane seat - 03:16 PM
- Lawyer says family of girl with Uzi is devastated - 10:10 PM
- Study: Playing music helps sharpen kids' brains - 07:24 PM
- Report accuses Islamic State group of war crimes - 10:14 PM
- UN: 4 peacekeepers killed in north Mali, 15 hurt - 09:28 PM
- Top South America hackers rattle Peru's Cabinet - 05:17 PM
- Video purports to show beheading of US journalist - 11:11 PM
- A look at dangers posed by the Islamic State group - 02:34 PM
- 350 more troops assigned to US Embassy in Baghdad - 09:58 PM
- US rejects Norwegian Air bid for US-Europe flights - 09:39 PM
- Airstrike near Mosul Dam targets armed vehicles - 08:06 PM
- NATO coalition in Afghanistan shrinking - 06:44 PM
- Obama to Europe: NATO to oppose Russian aggression - 06:29 PM
- Double mastectomy doesn't boost survival for most - 04:06 PM
- Group says world is losing battle against Ebola - 11:06 PM
- Obama addresses West Africans on facts about Ebola - 04:53 PM
- Marijuana's hazy contribution to highway deaths - 11:33 AM
- 5 things to know about driving on marijuana - 03:27 AM
- Apple: Some nude shots taken from stars' accounts - 08:17 PM
- In light of celebrity hacks, how to protect data - 06:46 PM
- Home Depot probes possible credit card data breach - 05:59 PM
- Netflix unveils new way to share recommendations - 12:02 PM
- Alibaba IPO comes with unusual structure - 03:44 AM
- UMass starts semester with giant clambake - 08:47 AM
- Penn State student gains rep as squirrel whisperer - 06:27 PM
- New England's tallest lighthouse sells for $78,000 - 04:01 PM
- Police: Utah suspect swallows stolen ring - 08:24 PM
- Motorcyclist brags to cops he hit 185 mph in chase - 02:49 PM
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.