Detroit — New testing on samples of the petroleum coke piling up along the Detroit River show results similar to those produced by state officials.
College Park, Md. — Get ready for another busy hurricane season, maybe unusually wild, federal forecasters say.
Grants Pass, Ore. — A new study has determined for the first time just how quickly frogs and other amphibians are disappearing around the United States, and the news is not good.
Quincy, Mass. — Two endangered sea turtles that are shells of their former selves after getting stranded on Cape Cod during a cold spell are getting some help easing back into the wild — from an acupuncturist.
Los Angeles — Inscrutable ice giants Neptune and Uranus have only a thin rind of windy weather over their fluid contents, a team of planetary scientists say. The research published in the journal Nature relies on decades-old data from the Voyager 2 spacecraft and may help scientists understand the atmospheric dynamics of alien gas-giant exoplanets beyond our solar system.
Los Angeles — It's 1.7 miles long. Its surface is covered in a sticky black substance similar to the gunk at the bottom of a barbecue. If it impacted Earth it would probably result in global extinction. Good thing it is just making a flyby.
Cape Canaveral, Fla. — NASA says an impromptu spacewalk seems to have fixed a big ammonia leak at the International Space Station.
New York — Scientists have finally recovered stem cells from cloned human embryos, a longstanding goal that could lead to new treatments for such illnesses as Parkinson's disease and diabetes.
Boise, Idaho— A dozen years after a customer revolt forced Monsanto to ditch its genetically engineered potato, an Idaho company aims to resurrect high-tech spuds.
Moscow — A Soyuz space capsule with a three-man crew returning from a five-month mission to the International Space Station landed safely Tuesday on the steppes of Kazakhstan.
Washington -- The old saying that "what goes up must come down" doesn't apply to carbon dioxide pollution in the air, which just hit an unnerving milestone.
Cape Canaveral, Fla. — In a high-flying, perfectly pitched first, an astronaut on the International Space Station is bowing out of orbit with a musical video: his own custom version of David Bowie's "Space Oddity."
Los Angeles -- Every time Los Angeles exhales, odd-looking gadgets anchored in the mountains above the city trace the invisible puffs of carbon dioxide, methane and other greenhouse gases that waft skyward.
Los Angeles — The sun has fired off a massive flare, the strongest solar eruption this year.
San Jose, Calif. — Scheming to rearrange the heavens, scientists are busy planning how to pluck, push and park a spinning asteroid between here and the ...
A western Michigan lawmaker says the state Department of Environmental Quality has rejected a proposal to build a 1,200-foot private driveway across a strip of ...
The waterways running along the shoreline of Lake St. Clair were a selling point for homeowners — giving them direct access to the lake for their boats, as ...
Los Angeles — Every time Los Angeles exhales, odd-looking gadgets anchored in the mountains above the city trace the invisible puffs of carbon dioxide, ...
Washington — Worldwide levels of the chief greenhouse gas that causes global warming have hit a milestone, reaching an amount never before encountered by ...
Cape Canaveral, Fla. — Astronauts making a rare, hastily planned spacewalk replaced a pump outside the International Space Station on Saturday in hopes ...
Washington — The International Space Station has a radiator leak in its power system. The outpost's commander calls the situation serious, but not life- ...
Sydney — The moon glided between the Earth and sun, blocking everything but a dazzling ring of light, for the few skygazers lucky enough to see Friday's ...
Chicago — When Michael Gore stands, it's a triumph of science and engineering. Eleven years ago, Gore was paralyzed from the waist down in a workplace ...
The expansion of gas and oil drilling through a process called “fracking” is back as a hot-button issue in Michigan — along with petitions, protests and armed ...
Chicago — Federal and Illinois officials said Thursday they will intensify efforts to find Asian carp in Illinois waterways this year but cut back on DNA ...
Los Angeles — Do you dream of living on Mars? Then turn on your webcam. You've got an application video to make.
Detroit — Michigan’s shippers and environmentalists clashed at a Senate hearing here Monday about a proposal to end a state law on ballast water that companies ...
Washington — Any day now, billions of cicadas with bulging red eyes will crawl out of the earth after 17 years underground and overrun the East Coast. The ...
New York — It may be the first time a dead dinosaur is flying for free. U.S. authorities in New York are returning a 70-million-year-old Tyrannosaurus skeleton ...
Johannesburg — Scientists say a disease destroying entire crops of cassava has spread out of East Africa into the heart of the continent, is attacking ...
AP Science Headlines
- Cockroaches quickly lose sweet tooth to survive - 02:06 PM
- Hurricane forecast: Another busy Atlantic season - 02:22 PM
- Study: Amphibians disappearing at alarming rate - 02:22 PM
- Google to add Galapagos Islands to Street View - 01:23 PM
- Solar plane completes 2nd leg of trip in Texas - 07:35 AM
Figure out the effect on the Earth, your wallet and your waistline if you chose to walk or bike to a destination. This calculator estimates calories burned, amount of gas and CO2 not used, and fuel cost savings.
- Great Lakes Urban Exchange
- Michigan Land Use Institute
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality
- MDEQ: Recycling
- MDEQ: Green construction and demolition
- MDEQ: Statewide Beach Information
- Environmental Protection Agency: Great Lakes
- Energy Office of Michigan
- Habitat for Humanity of Michigan: ReStores
- Michigan Green Safe Products
- Ecology Center
- Michigan Department of Transportation: Public Transit Providers
- Google Transit - let google help you plan your public transportation route.
- Metro Detroit SMART bus schedule
- Environmental Protection Agency: Green Vehicle Guide
- Judge allows Kilpatrick to replace lead lawyer
- Tesla, Chrysler spar over loan repayment
- Michigan explains origin, purpose of footballs with 'Not in Ohio' label
- Lions newest RB Reggie Bush ready to work, 'win championships'
- Tigers' Jim Leyland bends rule; ace Justin Verlander is grateful
- The time is now for Red Wings; goalie Jimmy Howard could hold key
- Officials: Kilpatrick got flight passes via friend
- Michigan AD Dave Brandon on Chris Webber: 'I'd be happy to meet him'
- Lions need Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley at front of line as leaders
- Man being brought back from India to face Novi family killings
- Tigers sweep Indians in wet, wacky series finale
- Big plans are in the works for a tiny Capitol Park in downtown Detroit
More from The Detroit News
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.