Cedar Point officials and James decided a partnership announced Tuesday will have greater impact than renaming a ride.
With golden confetti raining on their heads and 'Party in the U.S.A' ringing in their ears, it must have been hard for the U.S. basketball players to hear anything.
The Atlanta Hawks have released an open letter of apology to the team, fans and city of Atlanta, saying the organization 'did not do the right thing' to correct racially inflammatory words and innuendos.
James Harden and the U.S. sprinted into the championship game of the Basketball World Cup, riding a huge third quarter to a 96-68 victory over Lithuania on Thursday.
Villanueva averaged 4.6 points and 1.8 rebounds last season, the final one of a five-year, $37 million contract with the Pistons.
Gossip website TMZ.com cited multiple NBA sources saying that Wilkins was 'extremely interested' in partnering with a prominent businessman to buy the Hawks. Wilkins, 54, has been a Hawks vice president since 2004 and serves as the team's TV analyst.
Under terms of his probation, Monroe completed 25 hours of community service and spent one day in a group alcohol program, with Mothers Against Drunk Driving.
The Pistons declined to pick up the final year of Billups $2.5 million contract after the 2013-14 season. Billups, who returned to play for the Pistons on a two-year deal last season, averaged 3.8 points, 1.5 rebounds and 2.2 assists.
Klay Thompson scored 20 points and Harden had 12 of his 14 in the third quarter, helping the U.S. turn a close game into a 119-76 rout of Slovenia on Tuesday in the quarterfinals of the World Cup.
Atlanta media outlets obtained a letter Monday night from Hawks co-owner Michael Gearon Jr. which cites Ferry telling the ownership group that Deng 'has a little African in him.'
Atlanta Hawks co-owner Bruce Levenson said Sunday he is selling his controlling interest in the team, in part due to an inflammatory email he said he wrote in an attempt 'to bridge Atlanta's racial sports divide.'
Curry made six 3-pointers Saturday, leading the U.S. national team into the quarterfinals of the Basketball World Cup with an 86-63 victory over Mexico. Pistons center Andre Drummond had two points and two rebounds.
Monroe, a restricted free agent, will be paid $5.5 million this season after not being able to agree to terms with the Pistons on a long-term contract. He'll be an unrestricted free agent come next July, free to sign with any team.
Kenneth Faried kept up his sharp shooting with 16 points and the U.S. national team rolled to a 4-0 start with a 106-71 victory over the Dominican Republic on Wednesday night.
American players paused from their warmups to stand and face their New Zealand opponents as they performed the haka, their traditional war dance challenge.
Kenneth Faried scored 22 points, Anthony Davis all of his 19 in the second half, and the U.S. rebounded from a rare deficit at halftime to beat Turkey 98-77 on ...
The Americans held the Finns without a basket in the second quarter, opening defense of their title with a 114-55 romp Saturday in the Basketball World Cup.
Los Angeles — When Shelly Sterling was approached by former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer about buying the Los Angeles Clippers, the wife of disgraced team owner ...
In Steve Ballmer's first big move since taking over as the new owner, he gave Rivers a contract extension through the 2018-19 season.
Brown appeared in 29 games last season with New York and San Antonio. He has appeared in 403 games for seven different clubs, and was briefly with Washington ...
The Pistons' Andre Drummond was one of 12 players selected Friday night to play for Team USA in the FIBA World Cup.
The blockbuster trade that will send Kevin Love to team up with LeBron James in Cleveland will be completed today, making the Cavaliers an instant favorite in ...
A person with knowledge of the situation tells The Associated Press that the Timberwolves will receive Philadelphia 76ers power forward Thaddeus Young as part ...
With Rose sitting out, Kyrie Irving started and made all five shots, scoring 12 points as the U.S. national basketball team beat the Dominican Republic 105-62 ...
The Detroit Pistons made it official Monday, announcing the signings of free-agent forward Cartier Martin and center Aaron Gray. Contract terms were not ...
Steve Ballmer has introduced himself to Los Angeles Clippers fans at a rally celebrating his new ownership of the NBA team. The former Microsoft CEO made his ...
Sim Bhullar became the first player of Indian descent to sign a contract with an NBA team Friday, inking a deal to join the Sacramento Kings in training camp.
Police say seven teenagers wanted to see how a professional basketball player lives, so they walked through an unlocked door at the home of former Miami Heat ...
Kings center DeMarcus Cousins hurt his right knee when he got tangled with Anthony Davis after both big men hit the floor going after a loose ball during a ...
The Pistons' schedule includes two visits to The Palace by LeBron James and the Cavaliers -- Jan. 27 and Feb. 24.
AP NBA Headlines
- James unveils new shoe before restart with Cavs - 09:33 PM
- Atlanta mayor: Talked to 6 possible Hawks owners - 08:08 PM
- LeBron banner could rise again in Cleveland - 07:11 PM
- Amusement park won't rename coaster 'King James' - 11:52 AM
- Hawks apologize for racially charged comments - 03:13 PM
- NBA Calendar - 08:21 AM
- Hawks GM Ferry takes indefinite leave of absence - 09:20 PM
Latest Photo Galleries
Pistons' salary cap corner
- 2013-14 salary cap: $58.5 million (2012-13 cap was $58.044 million).
- Current Piston salaries for 2013-14 season: $35,045,558.
- Approximate salary cap space for 2013-14 season: $22,998,442 (not including slotted salary for 2013 first-round draft pick).
- PF Charlie Villanueva: $8,580,000
- SG/PG Rodney Stuckey: $8,500,000 (not fully guaranteed)
- PF/SF Jonas Jerebko: $4,500,000 PF/C
- Greg Monroe: $4,086,454 PG/SG
- Brandon Knight: $2,793,960 C
- Andre Drummond: $2,462,400 C
- Slava Kravtsov: $1,500,000 (not fully guaranteed)
- SF/SG Kyle Singler: $1,045,000
- SF Khris Middleton: $788,872 SG
- Kim English: $788,872 (not fully guaranteed)
Stats, schedules and more
Sports on TV
Where to watch the big game in Metro Detroit
Pistons Game Guide
Get in the Game
- Allegation of assault in jail for Cass Tech quarterback
- Missing girl,12, called in sick to school, disappeared, Canton police say
- Report: Lions look at three free-agent kickers, amid Nate Fresse's struggles
- Tuesday's Tigers-Twins lineups, live tweets: Alex Avila remains out, Nick Castellanos scratched
- Tigers Mailbag: Joe Nathan shouldn't be closing on back-to-back days
- Jack Morris on Tigers TV cameo: 'I hope there's an opportunity down the road'
- Guilty plea for cancer doctor before trial for Medicare fraud, conspiracy
- $450M Red Wings arena to keep away topless clubs, other businesses
- Gunman releases hostages, surrenders at restaurant on Detroit's east side
- Red Wings, Danny DeKeyser agree on two-year, $4.4 million contract
- Against Jordy Nelson, Lions' Darius Slay should find out just how much he's improved
- Aramark prison food contract sparks debate in Michigan Legislature
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.