Afterward, as reporters peppered Jimmy Howard with questions inside the Red Wings’ dressing room, the goaltender deflected them all with ease, too. He talked about confidence, but steered clear of cockiness.
He spent a good part of the time perusing the scoring sheet and seeming unimpressed. But then he was asked if he still felt the Red Wings "have accomplished nothing" so far in the series.
the way the Red Wings see it, if they can get off to a good start and keep the crowd somewhat under control, their chances for success tonight in Game 5 are that much better.
Here are 10 questions many fans have asked about heading into either the end of this Western Conference series — or beginning of the next one.
How does the leader of the best team in hockey explain the Blackhawks being shut out for the first time in 57 games and a once-magical season suddenly coming within 60 minutes of disappearing?
James Neal had a hat trick and the Penguins finished off the lifeless Ottawa Senators 6-2 on Friday night in Game 5 of the Eastern conference semifinals to take the best-of-seven series 4-1.
This is being decided in the toughest areas of the ice, in front of the net, in their relentlessly grinding effort. And make no mistake about this — it’s also being decided in the head.
How does Jonathan Toews, leader of the best team in hockey, explain the Blackhawks being shut out for the first time in 57 games and a once-magical season suddenly coming within 60 minutes of disappearing?
There was the Red Wings’ Henrik Zetterberg, casually holding the hockey stick of his captain counterpart, Chicago’s Jonathan Toews. And Zetterberg simply refused to let go, even after the whistle blew and the referee skated in to separate the two players.
There was much talk before this game, including from coach Joel Quenneville, that the first 10 minutes would be important, especially for the Blackhawks. But the Red Wings were with them every step of the way.
One of the main storylines in the Red Wings 2-0 victory in Game 4 was their penalty killers continuing their dominance over the Blackhawks power play. The Red Wings turned away all three Blackhawks power plays.
Through eight playoff games, the Blackhawks were 29-for-29 on the penalty kill. They made it 30-for-30 midway through the second period of Game 4 before Jakub Kindl scored to give the Red Wings all the offense they needed.
After giving up seven goals in consecutive losses, there were some murmurs Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville might be contemplating pulling goaltender Corey Crawford headed into Game 4 of the Western Conference semifinals against Detroit on Thursday.
Chris Kreider deftly steered in a pass from Rick Nash 7:03 into overtime, and the Rangers stayed alive in the Stanley Cup playoffs with a 4-3 victory over the Boston Bruins on Thursday night.
The Red Wings are now one victory away from eliminating the top-seeded Chicago Blackhawks from the NHL Western Conference semifinals after defeating Chicago, 2- ...
Jimmy Howard, Corey Crawford and Jakub Kindl stood out above the rest as the Wings' took a 3-1 lead in the series with the Blackhawks.
As the Chicago Blackhawks entered the third period Monday trailing the Red Wings by two goals, coach Joel Quenneville decided his team needed a change.
The future certainly looks good for the Red Wings. Their minor league affiliate Grand Rapids Griffins are in the Western Conference finals in the American ...
"The people here live and die their hockey," said Colaiacovo, who signed a two-year, $5 million contract Sept. 14. "They’re real passionate and the arena ...
Now we find out how tight and real it is, how frustrated the Blackhawks truly are, how much higher Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk and Jimmy Howard can raise ...
The Red Wings, in fact, clearly have dominated the battle in the faceoff circle during the series, winning more than 50 percent each game. "It is important ...
They generate scoring chances against a penalty kill that is perfect, 29-for-29 in the playoffs. But they must convert. It is a crucial issue in Game 4
There are so many questions that still need answering at this point it’s hard to know where to start. Or where and when this’ll all finish for Detroit and ...
Fun. They all talk about it, especially around the playoffs. Hockey players and coaches seem to think that the best thing they can do, strategically, is to ...
Helm was expected to be the Red Wings’ third-line center before injuring his back in the weight room just before training camp began in January this lockout- ...
While the top lines for the Red Wings and Blackhawks have played even in the first three games of the series, the bottom two lines is where the Red Wings have ...
Only two times during the regular season did the Blackhawks lose back-to-back games in regulation. Three games into the Western Conference semifinals, the ...
Sidney Crosby, Chris Kunitz (Ferris State) and Pascal Dupuis also scored for Pittsburgh, and Tomas Vokoun made 30 saves. Down 2-1 after the first period, the ...
Brent Burns helped San Jose jump off to a fast start with his second goal of the postseason and the Sharks tied their second-round series against Los Angeles ...
IndyCar driver Simona de Silvestro was on Belle Isle, giving media members rides around the race course. So when hurtling around curves at speeds in excess of ...
Western Conference Semifinals schedule
Red Wings vs. Chicago Blackhawks
Game 1: Blackhawks 4, Red Wings 1
Game 2: Red Wings 4, Blackhawks 1
Game 3: Red Wings 3, Blackhawks 1
Game 4: Red Wings 2, Blackhawks 0
Game 5: 8 p.m. Saturday, May 25, at Chicago, NBC, CBC
Game 6: Monday, May 27, at Detroit, time and TV TBA*
Game 7: Wednesday, May 29, at Chicago, time and TV TBA*
* If necessary
Scout the Enemy Camp
Latest Photo Galleries
In the Blogs
Stats, Schedules and More
Game: Clear the Ice!
Sports on TV
Where to watch the big game in Metro Detroit
- 4 Chicago Cubs at Cincinnati , WGN
- 4 Minnesota at Detroit , FSD/97.1
- 4 N.Y. Yankees at Tampa Bay , MLB
- 7 Miami at Chicago White Sox , Fox
- 6 Froch vs. Kessler , HBO
- 2:30 Semifinals, Cornell vs. Duke , ESPN2
- 5 Semifinals, Syracuse vs. Denver , ESPN2
- 4:30 Big Ten, Nebraska vs.
- Ohio State , BTN
- 8 Big Ten, Indiana vs.
- Nebraska-Ohio State winner ,
- 10 West Coast final , ESPNU
- Noon Super Regionals, Louisiana-Lafayette at Michigan , ESPN
- 1 Super Regionals, Alabama-Birmingham vs. Florida , ESPNU
- 3 Super Regionals, Louisiana-Lafayette at Michigan (if necessary) , ESPN
- 3 Super Regionals, Florida State vs. Texas , ESPNU
- 5 Super Regionals, Alabama at Tennessee , ESPN
- 6 Super Regionals, Florida State vs. Texas (if necessary) , ESPNU
- 8 Super Regionals, Alabama at Tennessee (if necessary) , ESPN2
- 8 Super Regionals, Nebraska vs. Oregon , ESPNU
- 10 Super Regionals, Kentucky at Arizona State , ESPN2
- 7:30 Arena, Philadelphia at Tampa Bay , CBSSN
- 7:30a Euro. PGA Champ. , GC
- 1 PGA Crowne Plaza Inv. , GC
- 3 Senior PGA Champ. , NBC
- 3 PGA Crowne Plaza Inv. , CBS
- 3 LPGA Bahamas Cl. , GC
- 8a F1 Monaco GP qu. , NBCSN
- 10a Sp. Coca-Cola 600 pr. , SP
- 11a N'wide History 300 qu. , ESPN2
- 1 Sp. Coca-Cola 600 pr. , SP
- 2:45 N'wide History 300 , ABC
- 3 AMA Motocross Thunder Valley National , NBCSN
- 9 San Antonio at Memphis , ESPN
- 5:30 N.Y. Rangers at Boston , NBCSN
- 8 Detroit at Chicago , NBC, CBC/97.1
- 2 UEFA, Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich , Fox
- 1 adidas Grand Prix , NBC
Red Wings Game Guide
Get in the Game
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals - 11:36 PM
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win - 02:16 AM
- Red Wings top Blackhawks 2-0, take 3-1 series lead - 02:12 AM
- Avalanche hire Patrick Roy as coach - 12:08 AM
- Kreider keeps Rangers alive with OT goal - 11:11 PM
- Rangers scratch Richards for pivotal Game 4 - 07:11 PM
- Penguins rout Senators 7-3, take 3-1 series lead - 12:18 AM
- Canucks fire Alain Vigneault as coach - 07:20 PM
- Lions second-year lineman Riley Reiff will work to earn spot
- Davidson family members in legal battle over late businessman's foundation
- Wings' Mike Babcock drives players to succeed with one priority: winning
- Anibal Sanchez flirts with no-hitter as Tigers move into first
- Ten questions about Wings-Hawks series: Abdelkader answers the call
- Marinas remake themselves as floating resorts
- Tigers' Alex Avila helps guide Anibal Sanchez in pitching gem
- Michigan woman's face split open to remove cancerous tumor
- Detroit's creditors could target Detroit Institute of Arts collection
- Customer service reviews make, break restaurants as 'Kitchen Nightmares' shows
- Entrepreneur's urban tree farm is taking root
- Red Wings brace for raucous Chicago crowd, fired-up Hawks
More from The Detroit News
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.