Duke freshman Jabari Parker is entering the NBA draft. Coach Mike Krzyzewski says in a statement Thursday it was 'an honor for us to have him in our program.'
The interviews that start and end with questions about his baseball-playing father — Tigers outfielder Torii Hunter Sr. — and dismiss his own identity are less frequent.
In a set of talking points issued to school leaders late last week, officials from college sports' largest governing body urged them have a unified voice on the topic that could dramatically alter college athletics.
Oakland coach Greg Kampe hopes Hooper can help replace 3-point shooting star Travis Bader, who was a four-year starter for the Golden Grizzlies.
Union College, a liberal arts college in Schenectady, N.Y., won its first NCAA hockey title Saturday night, scoring three times in a 1:54 span in the first period in a 7-4 victory over Minnesota.
Notre Dame will break with tradition and replace the grass surface at the stadium known as the 'House Rockne Built' and install artificial surface before the upcoming football season.
Matt Charboneau of The Detroit News provides a spring practice update on the Big Ten's West Division teams.
With Michigan State and Ohio State coming off appearances in the conference championship game and Michigan on the verge of regaining its form, winning the division will be no easy task.
UMass guard Derrick Gordon has become the first openly gay player in Division I men's basketball.
The Huskies routed Notre Dame 79-58 in the first championship game featuring undefeated teams, winning their record ninth national title. Auriemma broke a tie with Pat Summitt and Tennessee for most all-time, doing it in her backyard.
No conference wanted them. Several teammates and their coach left them. The NCAA wouldn't have them. UConn won it all anyway. Shabazz Napier turned in another all-court masterpiece Monday night to lift the Huskies to a 60-54 win over Kentucky's freshmen and a national title hardly anyone saw coming.
Flexing their muscles on college basketball's biggest stage, the Huskies showed they have a little athleticism of their own by outlasting Kentucky's young 'Cats 60-54 to win their second national championship in four years on Monday night.
Kentucky, which played Connecticut in the title game late Monday night, starts five freshmen. They don't have a nickname like Michigan did. They just got on a roll in the NCAA Tournament like the Fab Five did a generation ago.
Muffet McGraw and Geno Auriemma were well aware of the talk. There has been a buzz throughout women's basketball all season about the potential showdown between their undefeated teams. Well, the wait is over. Connecticut (39-0) and Notre Dame (37-0) are set to meet in an unprecedented championship clash tonight.
Neither was around in last year's postseason — Connecticut because of a Tournament ban over academic issues; Kentucky because it didn't make the field. And ...
Joe Adams of The Detroit News breaks down Monday night's national championship game between Kentucky and Connecticut (9:10 p.m., CBS).
The NCAA president called an effort to unionize players a 'grossly inappropriate' way to solve problems in college sports while insisting schools have been ...
UConn will square off against Notre Dame, an 87-61 winner over Maryland, on Tuesday night in the title game. It will be the first women's national title game ...
DeAndre Daniels had 20 points and 10 rebounds Saturday to help UConn snap Florida's 30-game win streak with a 63-53 upset of the Gators at the Final Four.
Wisconsin did almost everything it needed to do Saturday night to beat Kentucky except for hitting one crucial free throw. Traevon Jackson missed a foul shot ...
Fitzgerald sided with his university against the formation of a players union in his first public comments Saturday, repeating what he already told his team: ...
The national semifinals drew 79,444 on Saturday night at AT&T Stadium, beating the previous record of 78,129 when Kentucky beat Michigan State in a regular- ...
Braker and the Irish have come up short their previous three trips, losing in the national title game to Texas A&M in 2011, in the title game to Baylor in 2012 ...
Kentucky has a coach labeled a renegade, a rotating stable of McDonald's All-Americans and sky high expectations every year. Wisconsin has a coach who has ...
It was 6:45 a.m. on a Saturday, more than four hours before tip-off against Mississippi, and Florida guard Michael Frazier II was in the visiting arena putting ...
The Badgers under Ryan are inextricably linked to the sidewalks and basketball courts of the Philadelphia suburb of Chester, Pa., where 66-year-old Ryan grew ...
Marquette has picked Wojciechowski as its next men's basketball coach. The school announced its hiring of the 37-year-old Wojciechowski on Tuesday.
The Wildcats resumed spring practice Tuesday for the first time since the decision from a regional labor official cleared the way for the formation of a union, ...
Ogwumike is carrying her team to Music City and one last Final Four she planned for all along, going for 20 points and 10 rebounds as second-seeded Stanford ...
The defending national champion Huskies (38-0) won their 44th straight game and will be going for their record ninth national championship in Nashville, Tenn.
- Tulsa hires Frank Haith as new hoops coach - 04:09 PM
- Princess Lacey's life celebrated at Michigan State - 09:50 PM
- Duke freshman Jabari Parker declares for NBA draft - 06:11 PM
- Wildcats G James Young to enter NBA draft - 04:40 PM
- Michigan losing Stauskas and Robinson to NBA - 05:46 PM
- Strong makes Texas debut with spring scrimmage - 02:07 PM
- Minnesota State team to return under Hoffner - 07:28 PM
- Va. State player pleads in opposing QB assault - 03:21 PM
- Lawyer involved in Miami-NCAA case charged by Bar - 06:08 PM
- Clemson dismisses QB Kelly after sideline argument - 05:55 PM
Sports on TV
Where to watch the big game in Metro Detroit
- 1 L.A. Angels at Detroit, FS1/97.1
- 4 Houston at Oakland, MLB
- 8 Arizona at L.A. Dodgers, FS1
- 8 White Sox at Texas, WGN
- 9:30 Quillin vs. Konecny; Porter vs. Malignaggi; Hopkins vs. Shumenov, SHO
- 1 North Carolina at Virginia, FSD
- 5 South Carolina at Auburn, CBSSN
- 8 Baylor at Kansas State, ESPNU
- Noon Maryland at Notre Dame, ESPNU
- Noon Wisconsin at Penn State (DH), BTN
- 4 LSU at South Carolina, ESPNU
- 5 Illinois at Purdue, BTN
- 6 Florida at Texas A&M, ESPNU
- 7 Minnesota at Michigan, BTN
- 7:30 Texas at Oklahoma, FSD
- 8 Arena, Los Angeles at Iowa, CBSSN
- 6:30 a.m. European Malaysian Open, GC
- 1 PGA The Heritage, GC
- 3 PGA The Heritage, CBS
- 3 Champions Greater Gwinnett Championship, GC
- 6:30 LPGA LOTTE Championship, GC
- 8 Tavares vs. Romero; Cerrone vs. Barboza; Tate vs. Carmouche; Werdum vs. Browne, Fox
- 12:30 Brooklyn at Toronto, ESPN
- 3:30 Golden State at L.A. Clippers, ABC
- 7 Atlanta at Indiana, ESPN
- 9:30 Memphis at Oklahoma City, ESPN
- 3 Chicago at St. Louis, NBC, CBC
- 7 Columbus at Pittsburgh, NBCSN, CBC
- 9:30 Minnesota at Colorado, NBCSN
- 7:40 a.m. Premier, Fulham at Tottenham, NBCSN
- 9:55 a.m. Premier, Stoke City at Cardiff City, NBCSN
- 12:30 Premier, Arsenal at Hull City, NBC
- 4 MLS, New England at Chicago, NBCSN
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.