Salisbury, Conn. — A spokesman for a Connecticut track says a man who crashed in a race of vintage cars is the first death in the historic-racing festival's 32-year history.
People today are demanding more than mere transportation from their spanking-new cars. Sporty-looking vehicles, for example, always sell well ... but it's thrift in the form of stellar mileage that now brings flocks of buyers to local dealerships.
Sure, the terrific 1.0-liter Fiesta won International Engine of the Year. Ford wants 3-cylinder US bragging rights? It's gotta go through the Geo Metro first.
Montery, Calif Brandon Boeckmann slips into the driver's seat of the low-slung, gull-wing sports car, grins, and says, 'So, how fast do you want to go?'
Today I'm poking fun at a minority — new-car buyers. Every year almost three times as many consumers buy used cars rather than new cars. Yet automakers, via their sales forces, must listen to the wishes only of new-car consumers. And what I've noticed, being a self-confessed used-car-only shopper, is that new-car buyers think a lot differently than the rest of us.
Do you cringe when someone tries to sell you the latest and greatest car care product?
At this year's Cruise, I drove the dreamy new Dodge Hellcat and Corvette Stingray. But what if I had to choose? Which is more worthy?
The new supercharged Land Rover, a true off-roader with a truck frame and sunroof, is known worldwide as the most rugged vehicle available for civilian use. It's not pretty outside, and with a base price of $51,000 it certainly isn't cheap. It will, however, conquer most any terrain on the planet.
Love the lines. Like its sister CTS, you want to sweep this beautiful face onto the dance floor. Then the ATS really shows its moves.
One of summer's greatest joys is the reduced volume of freeway traffic during morning and evening rush hours. With Labor Day looming, however, the congestion will amp up and for at least some of us, so will tempers.
A $38.1 million Ferrari 250 GTO Berlinetta led the annual parade of classic car auctions in California to a record tally of more than $350 million.
Grainne Kelly owned a travel agency in Derry, Ireland, and often traveled with her own young children. She'd call to reserve a rental car and a pair of proper booster seats.
This year we honor the Class of 1988. Now old enough to qualify for historic plates, the class featured an assortment of nerds, athletes, and timeless beauties.
In the midst of seemingly endless product recalls, General Motors could do with a lift. And a positive event involving the giant automaker, rescued from bankruptcy by taxpayers just a few years ago, happened recently in an unlikely venue.
Spend any time around a group of car designers and you'll notice them showing each other their watches.
One can hardly take even a short drive these days without spotting a gas/electric hybrid.
The flagship of the Jeep line — the five-passenger Grand Cherokee sport utility vehicle — is both a grand and high-mileage traveler for 2014.
Recently, Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing (3M) received 52 new patents for its technology, which pushed the total for the 112-year-old manufacturing company ...
With about a month before the start of school, there's still time to take that family vacation road trip, or at least to plan a great Labor Day end-of-summer ...
Industry experts say the RV business is often an indicator of the economy as a whole. When RV sales are struggling, so is the economy.
How do you sell a Porsche SUV? Strap customers into a Cayman and let them loose on a high-speed test track.
$110,000 can buy a nice addition to the house, put a kid through college, or buy a family of four the globe-trotting trip of a lifetime.
The supercharged Hellcat leads an army of updated 2015 Challengers into battle in the white hot War of the Muscle Cars.
Automakers these days can commune with fans in myriad ways beyond traditional advertising, from tweets and YouTube videos to discussion boards, Instagram and ...
Ask any Hollywood producer. There's only one way to go when it comes to monsters in blockbuster sequels. They need to be bigger, badder and more capable of ...
This year, TireRack.com is conducting tests on 10 categories of tires. It has just released the results of its test of what it calls Grand Touring All-Season ...
Car Rankings From U.S. News
Resources for consumers
- Profiles, specs and prices for any new vehicle, from Cars.com
- Aggregate rankings from published vehicle reviews, compiled by U.S. News & World Report
- Best and worst fuel economy
- Top 10 cash-back offers
- Search for latest rebates
- Best bets in used cars
- Kelley Blue Book used-car values
- Best and worst car resale values
- Understanding warranties
- J.D. Power initial quality rankings
- J.D. Power dependability ratings
- J.D. Power customer service rankings
- J.D. Power sales satisfaction ratings
- NHTSA crash tests and rollover ratings
- Safety ratings by Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
- Finding the best financing deal
- Affordability calculator
- Car loan calculator
- Loan vs. lease calculator
- Cash back vs. low-interest loan
- Vehicle recalls
- Better late than never as Tigers break through in ninth to beat the Indians
- Josh Katzenstein's game-by-game Lions forecast
- Territorial passengers threatening flight safety
- Low-cost carriers could lift Detroit Metro airport
- Some fear that auto industry is returning to bad habits
- See the Celebrate Michigan photo contest winners
- Spartans relish the dare the Ducks present
- Tigers' Justin Verlander on photos: 'I keep my personal life personal'
- Detroit News predictions: Lions regular-season record
- Lions then and now: Comparing the Caldwell and Schwartz regimes
- Lions QB Matthew Stafford, coach Jim Caldwell share one mission: Win now
- Police: Man, 69, kills man, 43, in road rage incident in Genoa Twp.
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.