— Arthur Ellis, who had a long career in Michigan state government and higher education, has died at age 80.
Detroit — If you've ever been to American Coney Island on Lafayette Boulevard then you'll remember the larger-than-life personality of longtime waiter Jerry Abuelhawa.
Alixa Naff, who died last week leaving a legacy of chronicling the lives of Arab-American immigrants, has become the gold standard for historians, a Middle Eastern professor said.
As an advertising sales director with the Detroit Media Partnership and later, at a Traverse City newspaper, LeRoy “Lee” Mazurek was dedicated to improving the newspapers’ bottom line.
Jackson — Harry Reed, who was an editor at newspapers in Jackson, Pontiac and Grand Rapids, has died. He was 83.
Washington — The next time a flight attendant reminds you there's no smoking on the plane or you witness a teenager getting carded at a liquor store, think of Frank Lautenberg.
Traverse City — A memorial service is planned for former Michigan first lady Helen Milliken Traverse City.
As a physician and professor at the University of Michigan Medical School, Dr. Steven Gradwohl was gifted and highly praised for his caring personality, patients and colleagues said.
There's no firm timetable on the release of additional test results that might help determine the cause of death of a former national championship-winning quarterback, Lake County Sheriff Robert Hilts said Thursday.
Chicago — The Rev. Andrew Greeley, an outspoken Roman Catholic priest, best-selling author and longtime Chicago newspaper columnist who even criticized the hierarchy of his own church over the child sex abuse scandal, has died. He was 85.
Music was more than just a compilation of notes on page to Mildred Juanita Hankins Dobey — it was a way of life.
James D. Wilkinson, a Navy veteran, former pilot and longtime engineer at the Ford Motor Co. axle plant in Sterling Heights, died Sunday, May 12, 2013, at Summerlin Hospital in Las Vegas. He was 76.
Washington — Haynes Johnson, a pioneering Washington journalist who won a Pulitzer Prize for his coverage of the civil rights movement and migrated from newspapers to television, books and teaching, died Friday. He was 81.
Miami — Mack Emerman, the founder of Criteria Recording Studios where acts including Eric Clapton, James Brown and the Bee Gees made some of their most famous records, has died after a long illness, according to his daughter. He was 89.
Bernard Waber, author of such children's favorites as 'The House on East 88th Street' and 'Lyle, Lyle Crocodile,' has died.
As a teacher and a mother of six, Betty Bauerle always emphasized the importance of aneducation, both for her students and her children.
Melbourne, Fla. — USA Today founder Al Neuharth posthumously addressed mourners at his Florida memorial service Tuesday with a video he taped before his ...
- Wilson, Nobel winner for physics, dies in Maine - 05:13 PM
- Tennis great Gene Mako dies in Calif. at 97 - 09:39 PM
- Ex-North Carolina Gov. Jim Holshouser dies at 78 - 05:23 PM
- Pioneering woman photog Helen Brush Jenkins dies - 03:51 PM
- Body Glove co-founder Bob Meistrell dies at 84 - 09:41 AM
- Second City co-founder Bernard Sahlins dies at 90 - 01:50 AM
- US judge in Microsoft antitrust case dies at 76 - 10:16 PM
- Shipping magnate Paul Soros dies in NYC at 87 - 07:44 PM
- World's oldest Jewish person dies in NYC at 113 - 11:40 PM
- Source: Police dog hits on new location at Jimmy Hoffa dig
- Judge declares mistrial in case of Detroit cop accused in Aiyana's death
- Dan Gilbert buys two more buildings in Detroit's downtown
- State appeals court keeps Mike Duggan off Detroit mayoral ballot
- ESPN predictions: Hand, McDowell, Scott, Westphal will pick Michigan
- Chrysler reverses stance, will recall 2.7M Jeeps
- Michigan ranked fifth in nation for three-year football success
- Ben Verlander now drives like a pro, thanks to Tigers' Justin
- Michigan's Trey Burke goes to Pistons in Chad Ford's latest mock draft
- Downtown Detroit rents go through roof
- Pavel Datsyuk agrees to three-year, $23M extension with Red Wings
- Feds asks judge to dismiss lawsuit by Ambassador Bridge owners
More from The Detroit News
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.