While it's fun to watch these little-known players perform well in OTAs and exhibition season, fun to try to project who might fit, who might contribute, it's really mostly meaningless data.
Detroit Lions & NFL Beat Writer
Chris McCosky has been covering sports - prep, college and pros - in Michigan since 1980, and formerly covered the Detroit Pistons for 18 years and the Detroit Red Wings for one year.
A graduate of Eastern Michigan University (B.S., 1980), McCosky became associate sports editor of the Muskegon Chronicle in 1987, but soon after joined the Ann Arbor News. He covered the University of Michigan football and basketball programs from 1988 through 1992. In that time, he covered two Rose Bowls, the Wolverines' NCAA title run in basketball in 1989 and, in 1990, he broke the news of football coach Bo Schembechler's retirement.
McCosky lives in the Livonia and is the proud father of three kids - Ryan, 22, finishing his degree at Concordia University in Ann Arbor, where he played baseball for two seasons and is now an assistant coach; Rory, 19, a talented musician (his band is called Not Quite Porn) and a sophomore at Central Michigan University; and Molly, 17, a senior at Hopkins High School and planning to attend Eastern Michigan following graduation.
- Chris can be reached at email@example.com.
The five most spectacular events I've covered:
- 1. The Pistons' championship run in 2004.
- 2. The brawl at The Palace in November 2004. I was right in the middle of it. I even tried to stop Jamaal Tinsely from going into the stands. He went through my grasp like water.
- 3. The Michigan basketball team's title run in 1989. Glen Rice's torrid shooting throughout the tournament is still one of the best individual performances I've witnessed.
- 4. The Tigers-Blue Jays series at the end of the 1987 season where the Tigers had to win all four games to make the playoffs and they did.
- 5. Each Rose Bowl, all the NBA Finals that Michael Jordan competed in and the 2006 ALCS and World Series.
More in the Lions Blog
- Angelique Chengelis
- Terry Foster
- Tom Gage
- Jerry Green
- Lynn Henning
- Ted Kulfan
- Tom Markowski
- Chris McCosky
- John Niyo
- Bob Wojnowski
- Donna Terek
- Editorial + Opinion
- Nolan Finley
- Paul W. Smith
- Frank Beckmann
- George Will
- Thomas Sowell
- Froma Harrop
- Charles Krauthammer
- Clarence Page
- Kathleen Parker
- Michael Barone
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.