East Lansing — A groundbreaking is scheduled for next week for a $730 million physics research facility at Michigan State University.
Detroit — Nearly $18 million in additional funding for work around the Great Lakes is coming in to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' Detroit District this year — money that will boost a variety of projects in Michigan and Wisconsin.
Ann Arbor — Lake Michigan's ice cover has set a record.
Washington — Dr. Seuss had it right: Horton really does hear a Who. Wild elephants can distinguish between human languages, and they can tell whether a voice comes from a man, woman or boy, a new study says.
Washington — Relief may be on the way for a weather-weary United States with the predicted warming of the central Pacific Ocean brewing this year that will likely change weather worldwide. But it won't be for the better everywhere.
Washington Relief may be on the way for a weather-weary United States with the predicted warming of the central Pacific Ocean brewing this year that will likely change weather worldwide. But it won't be for the better everywhere.
Another month of snow, ice and freezing temperatures has led government experts to project water levels in the Great Lakes will rise more in the coming months than earlier estimated — and possibly get one lake back to its historic average.
Wellington, New Zealand — They may look like guts stuffed in cellophane, but five fish hauled up from near-record depths off the coast of New Zealand are providing scientists with new insights into how deep fish can survive.
Authorities say unemployment and drug addiction have spurred an increase in the destructive practice of cutting off the knobby growths at the base of ancient redwood trees to make decorative pieces like lacey-grained coffee tables and wall clocks.
Cape Canaveral, Fla. — An asteroid is headed this way. But even though it will come closer than the moon, astronomers say it will pose no danger.
New York — Researchers have revived a giant virus more than 30,000 years old, recovered from the permafrost of northeast Siberia.
London — Swedish doctor says four women who received transplanted wombs have had embryos transferred into them in an attempt to get pregnant.
St. Helena, Calif. — With California in the grips of drought, farmers throughout the state are using a mysterious and some say foolhardy tool for locating underground water: dowsers, or water witches.
The quality of water in Lake Erie has been falling for a decade and decisive government action is needed, a new report says.
Washington — Our galaxy is looking far more crowded and hospitable. NASA on Wednesday confirmed a bonanza of 715 newly discovered planets outside our solar system.
Traverse City — One of the few remaining gray wolves of Isle Royale National Park has been found dead after escaping to the mainland across a Lake Superior ice ...
Federal health regulators will consider this week whether to green light a provocative new fertilization technique that could eventually create babies from the ...
This winter has provided a seemingly endless parade of snow and ice followed by more of the same. That onslaught of cold put the Great Lakes within striking ...
San Diego — NASA has scrubbed a test off the California coast involving recovery of a mock-up of its newest space capsule after it was discovered that the ...
This year's severe winter has been tough on those living in Michigan, but it will most likely be even tougher on fish and wildlife. The Department of Natural ...
Washington — Wild bumblebees worldwide are in trouble, likely contracting deadly diseases from their commercialized honeybee cousins, a new study shows.
Berlin — The European Space Agency says it plans to launch a satellite to hunt for planets outside our solar system by 2024.
The Arctic isn't nearly as bright and white as it used to be because of more ice melting in the ocean, and that's turning out to be a global problem, a new ...
Cape Canaveral, Fla. — The International Space Station has one less capsule and a lot less trash.
Washington — Opening a weekend trip to California, President Barack Obama on Friday will offer millions in federal aid for the drought-stricken state, then ...
— A special blend of mother's milk just for girls? New research shows animal moms are customizing their milk in surprising ways depending on whether they have ...
Ann Arbor — A University of Michigan-led team of engineers plans to use $1.6 million in funding from NASA to help develop a better description of turbulence.
Washington — For those who shivered through January, this may be hard to believe: Nationwide, the average temperature for the month was about normal because a ...
London — Richard III has already been immortalized as Shakespeare's hunchbacked antihero. Now scientists hope to immortalize his genetic code by sequencing his ...
Anchorage, Alaska — Starfish at the Anchorage Museum have shown signs of a wasting disease reported up and down the West Coast, and eight had to be euthanized ...
AP Science Headlines
- Up, up and away for a live TV special from space - 01:07 PM
- Japan lab weighing retraction of stem cell paper - 12:02 AM
- Inventor of Web calls for digital bill of rights - 06:15 AM
- SpaceX supply run to space station postponed - 05:55 PM
- Elephants prove discerning listeners of us humans - 03:10 PM
Figure out the effect on the Earth, your wallet and your waistline if you chose to walk or bike to a destination. This calculator estimates calories burned, amount of gas and CO2 not used, and fuel cost savings.
- Great Lakes Urban Exchange
- Michigan Land Use Institute
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality
- MDEQ: Recycling
- MDEQ: Green construction and demolition
- MDEQ: Statewide Beach Information
- Environmental Protection Agency: Great Lakes
- Energy Office of Michigan
- Habitat for Humanity of Michigan: ReStores
- Michigan Green Safe Products
- Ecology Center
- Michigan Department of Transportation: Public Transit Providers
- Google Transit - let google help you plan your public transportation route.
- Metro Detroit SMART bus schedule
- Environmental Protection Agency: Green Vehicle Guide
- Tigers lonelier in Fla. spring league since Ariz. exodus
- Big Ten tournament offers shot at respect for No. 1 seed Michigan, redemption for Michigan State
- Source: Brandon Pettigrew choosing between Lions, Jets, Raiders
- Class clash: Audi A4 vs. Ford Fusion Titanium
- Nate Robertson, member of '06 Tigers rotation, back in camp as a reliever
- Red Wings want Teemu Pulkkinen to unleash his rocket shot in NHL
- Tigers' Austin Jackson works to find his footing
- New law allows diners to toast with own wine
- Family carries Ford legacy forward with grace
- Senators reach bipartisan deal on jobless benefits
- Safety James Ihedigbo likes Lions, will discuss team's offer with wife
- Michigan State pursues 'special' Indiana QB Tommy Stevens
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.