Cape Canaveral, Fla. NASA's robotic moon explorer, LADEE, is no more. Flight controllers confirmed early Friday that the moon-orbiting spacecraft crashed into the back side of the moon as planned.
Astronomers have discovered what they say is the most Earth-like planet yet detected a distant, rocky world that's similar in size to our planet and exists in the Goldilocks zone where it's not too hot and not too cold for life.
Cape Canaveral, Fla. Sky-gazers in North and South America were treated to a full lunar eclipse at least those fortunate enough to have clear skies.
Washington A federal appeals court on Tuesday upheld the Environmental Protection Agency's emission standards for hazardous air pollutants from coal- and oil-fired power plants.
Cape Canaveral, Fla. The International Space Station is about to get some fresh groceries and material for an urgent repair job.
Berlin The cost of keeping global warming in check is 'relatively modest,' but only if the world acts quickly to reverse the buildup of heat-trapping gases in the atmosphere, the head of the U.N.'s expert panel on climate change said Sunday.
A disease-causing fungus that targets bat populations has been found in Michigan for the first time, according to state officials.
London Two new studies describe the latest achievements in growing body parts in a lab and transplanting them into people, this time with nostrils and vaginas.
Jerusalem Israel's Antiquities Authority says archaeologists have unearthed a rare sarcophagus featuring a slender face and a scarab ring inscribed with the name of an Egyptian pharaoh.
London In a north London hospital, scientists are growing noses, ears and blood vessels in a bold attempt to make body parts in the laboratory.
Washington A bipartisan group of 46 House lawmakers, including six from Michigan, want Congress to reject proposed cuts by the White House to a Great Lakes cleanup fund.
Cape Canaveral, Fla. North and South America, get ready for the first eclipse of the year in color.
London In a north London hospital, scientists are growing noses, ears and blood vessels in the laboratory in a bold attempt to make body parts using stem cells.
Cape Canaveral, Fla. Scientists have uncovered a vast ocean beneath the icy surface of Saturn's little moon Enceladus.
London Schools closed their playgrounds and ambulance staff reported a surge in breathing problems as smog blanketed parts of England for a second day on ...
Tokyo Data in a widely heralded stem-cell research paper was falsified, a Japanese government-funded laboratory said Tuesday, as the lead researcher accused ...
Yokohama, Japan Challenges such as extreme weather, rising seas and worsening scarcity of drinking water are forcing many Asian governments to confront the ...
Yokohama, Japan Global warming makes feeding the world harder and more expensive, a United Nations scientific panel said.
You can learn a lot from a tooth. Molars taken from skeletons unearthed by work on a new London railway line are revealing secrets of the medieval Black Death ...
The Hague, Netherlands The International Court of Justice on Monday ordered a temporary halt to Japan's Antarctic whaling program, ruling that it is not for ...
Santa Ana, Calif. Dogs and cats are often beloved family members in current culture, but animals held such a prominent place in ancient Egyptian society that tens of millions ...
Yokohama, Japan If the world doesn't cut pollution of heat-trapping gases, the already noticeable harms of global warming could spiral 'out of control,' the ...
Los Algodones, Mexico Colorado River water has begun pouring over a barren delta in northwest Mexico, the result of a landmark agreement between the U.S. and ...
Moscow A software glitch on a Russian spacecraft heading to the International Space Station has delayed the arrival of three astronauts, including an ...
Geneva The head of the U.N. weather agency said Monday that recent extreme weather patterns are 'consistent' with human-induced climate change, citing key ...
There were no shooting stars, no new moons. But a dream that David Ruck never knew he had is coming true.
Let's not even suggest Greening of Detroit is trying to outsmart Mother Nature, because that rarely seems to work out well.
Los Angeles On the first day of spring, there's some bad news for the weather-weary nation.
Anchorage, Alaska Before the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in 2010 in the Gulf of Mexico, there was the Exxon Valdez disaster in Alaska, at the time the ...
Washington The Obama administration hopes to fight global warming with the geeky power of numbers, maps and even gaming-type simulations.
AP Science Headlines
- Creeping landslide devouring part of Wyoming town - 05:42 PM
- SpaceX making Easter delivery of station supplies - 09:51 PM
- NASA's moon-orbiting robot crashes down as planned - 01:49 PM
- Hawaii is genetically engineered crop flash point - 09:55 AM
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet - 03:54 PM
Figure out the effect on the Earth, your wallet and your waistline if you chose to walk or bike to a destination. This calculator estimates calories burned, amount of gas and CO2 not used, and fuel cost savings.
- Great Lakes Urban Exchange
- Michigan Land Use Institute
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality
- MDEQ: Recycling
- MDEQ: Green construction and demolition
- MDEQ: Statewide Beach Information
- Environmental Protection Agency: Great Lakes
- Energy Office of Michigan
- Habitat for Humanity of Michigan: ReStores
- Michigan Green Safe Products
- Ecology Center
- Michigan Department of Transportation: Public Transit Providers
- Google Transit - let google help you plan your public transportation route.
- Metro Detroit SMART bus schedule
- Environmental Protection Agency: Green Vehicle Guide
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Bruins' Milan Lucic sorry for dirty play to Wings' Danny DeKeyser, fined $5K
- Why do you care how much money Matthew Stafford makes?
- Michigan adds recruit Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman to 2014 class
- Max Scherzer recovers from early homer, Tigers rally past Angels
- Fox executive fired over Flight 370 charity email
- Small plane crashes in Michigan field, killing 2
- Schedule could prevent Tigers from attracting 3 million fans
- Former Piston Adrian Dantley calls Isiah Thomas 'con man' in radio interview
- Record Store Day treats customers to exclusive releases
- Red Wings follow the plan and steal Game 1 from Bruins
- FBI investigating potential bomb threat on Delta flight from Detroit to Denver
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.