Defense optional was the phrase of the day, as the Pistons treated their early Sunday evening tilt against the Celtics with the urgency of a Sunday stroll through the park. As in none at all.
He went with reserves Will Bynum, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Jonas Jerebko, among others, to finish the game, and they actually went on a 30-11 run to cut the Timberwolves' lead to 11 with two-and-a-half minutes left.
The Pistons came in well aware the Minnesota Timberwolves thrive off opposing teams taking bad shots, so decision-making would be critical Friday night.
It looks like such an easy proposition for Greg Monroe, so easy you can hear the encouragement from the Pistons bench. 'Shoot it, Moose!'
Auburn Hills — Chauncey Billups isn't sure how much losing is supposed to hurt, but he seems certain of the feeling when he looks down the bench and around the locker room that it doesn't agitate players the way it should.
O'Neal says he's seeking redemption for 'Shaq Fu.' The infamous fighting game starring O'Neal is considered to be among the worst games ever made.
The Palace had the old Bee Gees hit 'Stayin' Alive' playing midway through the fourth quarter of the Pistons' game against rival Bulls Wednesday night. Ten minutes earlier, it could have described the Pistons' slim playoff chances.
Being passive certainly isn't how anyone would describe Pistons forward Josh Smith, but if he felt he wasn't aggressive enough before, it truly can't be said now.
IndyCar champion Scott Dixon was on The Palace floor before the Pistons-Bulls game Wednesday night, making a new friend in Andre Drummond.
Collins became the NBA's first openly gay player when he signed his first deal Feb. 23. Teams can sign players to two 10-day contracts, and then have to sign them for the rest of the season if they want to keep them.
Whoever emerges between Atlanta, Charlotte, Cleveland and yes, the Detroit Pistons, are essentially signing up for target practice — in the form of the right to play the Miami Heat and Indiana Pacers in the first round.
That was thanks in large part to how hard Andre Drummond, their 20-year-old man-child in the middle, was playing Monday, grabbing a career-high 26 rebounds to go with 17 points in the Pistons' 96-85 victory over the stumbling, bumbling Knicks.
Drummond is playful, youthful, and impressionable and he hates losing. The smile has been replaced by a sullen look because the Pistons are so bad.
When you lose four in a row, style points don't count. Especially if you're the desperate Detroit Pistons playing the equally desperate New York Knicks Monday at The Palace.
It's been a point of emphasis through most of the season and will continue to be, no matter who the coach is or who's on the Pistons roster: Defense.
Dazzling from inside and out, James put on the best scoring show of his NBA life on Monday night, pouring in 61 points — a career high and a franchise record — ...
One of the mistakes Pistons president Joe Dumars made was not bringing back at least one of his Bad Boys teammates as a head coach, assistant coach, or even as ...
Sources told The Detroit News the only conversations Gores and Thomas have had revolved around the Bad Boys reunion, when Gores stepped in financially, listing ...
Charlotte got Gordon from the Detroit Pistons with a future first-round draft pick in June of 2012 for Corey Maggette. The Bobcats will get Detroit's pick this ...
Pistons owner Tom Gores is considering replacing team president Joe Dumars with another Bad Boys-era legend, Isiah Thomas, according to a report.
As the losses begin to pile up, and a treacherous March schedule begins to take form, you wonder if the wide-eyed wonder birthed by optimism makes way to ...
The triple bricked off the rim, but that was the only thing that didn't go right as they turned the first half into a layup drill and relaxed the rest of the ...
Although there would certainly be some Pistons players who weren't unhappy to see former coach Maurice Cheeks go, Brandon Jennings isn't one of them — and ...
With NBA legends Bill Russell and Oscar Robertson in attendance, Earl Lloyd was honored Friday with a statue in the lobby of the Walker Convocation Center on ...
The players all insist the effort has been better since owner Tom Gores fired head coach Maurice Cheeks on Feb. 9, despite their 2-6 record under interim coach ...
The Pistons weren't in need of a perfect game against the machine-like San Antonio Spurs, but a superior performance Wednesday night. They didn't quite get it.
Internal improvement seems like a concept that should be long gone nearly 60 games into an 82-game NBA season, but the Pistons feel like they still have ...
Billups began thinking about life after basketball when he was 31. He earned his business degree from Colorado, and met Junior Bridgeman during a charity ...
Collins' jersey was the biggest seller of the day Tuesday on NBAStore.com, two days after he signed with the Brooklyn Nets and became the league's first openly ...
With 16 of the final 25 games on the road, the sense of urgency has reached new heights for a Pistons team currently out of the playoff picture by four games.
AP NBA Headlines
- Warriors win 4th straight, hold off Suns 113-107 - 12:30 AM
- Noah, Augustin lead Bulls over Heat 95-88 in OT - 11:53 PM
- Mavs extend Pacers' skid to 4 with 105-94 win - 11:32 PM
- Rockets rally for 118-113 OT win over Blazers - 10:37 PM
- Rondo has 18 assists, Celtics beat Pistons 118-111 - 10:19 PM
- Surging Raptors beat Timberwolves 111-104 - 09:40 PM
- Davis leads Pelicans past Nuggets, 111-107 in OT - 09:29 PM
Pistons' salary cap corner
- 2013-14 salary cap: $58.5 million (2012-13 cap was $58.044 million).
- Current Piston salaries for 2013-14 season: $35,045,558.
- Approximate salary cap space for 2013-14 season: $22,998,442 (not including slotted salary for 2013 first-round draft pick).
- PF Charlie Villanueva: $8,580,000
- SG/PG Rodney Stuckey: $8,500,000 (not fully guaranteed)
- PF/SF Jonas Jerebko: $4,500,000 PF/C
- Greg Monroe: $4,086,454 PG/SG
- Brandon Knight: $2,793,960 C
- Andre Drummond: $2,462,400 C
- Slava Kravtsov: $1,500,000 (not fully guaranteed)
- SF/SG Kyle Singler: $1,045,000
- SF Khris Middleton: $788,872 SG
- Kim English: $788,872 (not fully guaranteed)
Stats, schedules and more
Sports on TV
Where to watch the big game in Metro Detroit
- 1 Detroit at St. Louis, FSD/1270
- 1 Tampa Bay at Boston, MLB
- 4 Chicago White Sox at Milwaukee, MLB
- 4 Big East, St. John’s women vs. Creighton, FS1
- 6:30 Big East, DePaul or Georgetown women vs. Villanova or Marquette, FS1
- 7 American Athletic final, Connecticut women vs. Louisville, ESPN
- 7 Metro Atlantic Athletic final, Iona vs. Manhattan or Quinnipiac, ESPN2
- 7 Colonial Athletic final, Delaware vs. William & Mary, NBCSN
- 8:30 Big Ten all-conference selection show, BTN
- 9 West Coast, San Francisco vs. Brigham Young, ESPN
- 9 Southern final, Davidson or Western Carolina vs. Georgia Southern or Wofford, ESPN2
- 9 Big 12 final, Baylor vs. West Virginia, FS1
- 11:30 West Coast Gonzaga vs. St. Mary’s, ESPN2
- 8 Houston at Oklahoma City, NBA
- 7 Pittsburgh at Washington, NHL
- Noon Winter Games, NBCSN
- 4 Winter Games, CBC
- 11:30 Winter Games, CBC
- Midnight Winter Games, CBC
- 2 a.m. Tuesday Winter Games, NBCSN
- 3:55 Premier, Sunderand at Liverpool, NBCSN
- * women; ** Tuesday
Pistons Game Guide
Get in the Game
- William Clay Ford was as frustrated about losing as any of the Lions' fans
- Detroit man shoots at intruders, killing one in latest home invasion
- Lions had Ford's loyalty for 50 years, and it was costly
- William Clay Ford Sr. trusted people to do the right thing
- Obama wobbles again on Israel
- Injured Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias might not be ready by Opening Day
- Detroit Autorama attracts avid fans of hot rods, customized cars
- William Clay Ford Sr. had passion for Ford Motor Co., Lions, Detroit
- Left-handed hitting Tyler Collins makes Tigers take notice
- Lions expected to remain in Ford family under direction of Bill Jr.
- Frequent fliers: The trick for free air trips is buy, don't fly
- Michigan State scoreless for final 4:29 in loss to Ohio State
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.