Andrew Shaw and Jonathan Toews scored Chicago power-play goals 2:39 apart in the second period breaking a 1-1 tie. Shaw added a late goal for a Blackhawks team that scored two goals the previous three games. Detroit still leads the series, 3-2.
Early in the series, it was Andrew Shaw who was quickly losing his cool as the Red Wings were taking control of the series. In a crucial Game 5, it was Shaw who provided the spark for the Blackhawks.
With the Red Wings within one victory of eliminating the Blackhawks in this Western Conference semifinal series, Chicago had to do something. Of course, the Red Wings will be ready for anything.
The Blackhawks appeared calm and businesslike between Games 4 and 5, and it showed on the ice. There was no panic, and the Blackhawks pressed and initiated the action from the start.
Gregory Campbell scored twice and recent call-up Torey Krug, the Michigan native, scored his fourth goal of the series for Boston, which will meet Pittsburgh for the right to play for the Stanley Cup.
Afterward, as reporters peppered Jimmy Howard with questions inside the Red Wings’ dressing room, the goaltender deflected them all with ease, too. He talked about confidence, but steered clear of cockiness.
He spent a good part of the time perusing the scoring sheet and seeming unimpressed. But then he was asked if he still felt the Red Wings "have accomplished nothing" so far in the series.
the way the Red Wings see it, if they can get off to a good start and keep the crowd somewhat under control, their chances for success tonight in Game 5 are that much better.
Here are 10 questions many fans have asked about heading into either the end of this Western Conference series — or beginning of the next one.
How does the leader of the best team in hockey explain the Blackhawks being shut out for the first time in 57 games and a once-magical season suddenly coming within 60 minutes of disappearing?
James Neal had a hat trick and the Penguins finished off the lifeless Ottawa Senators 6-2 on Friday night in Game 5 of the Eastern conference semifinals to take the best-of-seven series 4-1.
This is being decided in the toughest areas of the ice, in front of the net, in their relentlessly grinding effort. And make no mistake about this — it’s also being decided in the head.
How does Jonathan Toews, leader of the best team in hockey, explain the Blackhawks being shut out for the first time in 57 games and a once-magical season suddenly coming within 60 minutes of disappearing?
There was the Red Wings’ Henrik Zetterberg, casually holding the hockey stick of his captain counterpart, Chicago’s Jonathan Toews. And Zetterberg simply refused to let go, even after the whistle blew and the referee skated in to separate the two players.
There was much talk before this game, including from coach Joel Quenneville, that the first 10 minutes would be important, especially for the Blackhawks. But ...
One of the main storylines in the Red Wings 2-0 victory in Game 4 was their penalty killers continuing their dominance over the Blackhawks power play. The Red ...
Through eight playoff games, the Blackhawks were 29-for-29 on the penalty kill. They made it 30-for-30 midway through the second period of Game 4 before Jakub ...
After giving up seven goals in consecutive losses, there were some murmurs Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville might be contemplating pulling goaltender Corey ...
Chris Kreider deftly steered in a pass from Rick Nash 7:03 into overtime, and the Rangers stayed alive in the Stanley Cup playoffs with a 4-3 victory over the ...
The Red Wings are now one victory away from eliminating the top-seeded Chicago Blackhawks from the NHL Western Conference semifinals after defeating Chicago, 2- ...
Jimmy Howard, Corey Crawford and Jakub Kindl stood out above the rest as the Wings' took a 3-1 lead in the series with the Blackhawks.
As the Chicago Blackhawks entered the third period Monday trailing the Red Wings by two goals, coach Joel Quenneville decided his team needed a change.
The future certainly looks good for the Red Wings. Their minor league affiliate Grand Rapids Griffins are in the Western Conference finals in the American ...
"The people here live and die their hockey," said Colaiacovo, who signed a two-year, $5 million contract Sept. 14. "They’re real passionate and the arena ...
Now we find out how tight and real it is, how frustrated the Blackhawks truly are, how much higher Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk and Jimmy Howard can raise ...
The Red Wings, in fact, clearly have dominated the battle in the faceoff circle during the series, winning more than 50 percent each game. "It is important ...
They generate scoring chances against a penalty kill that is perfect, 29-for-29 in the playoffs. But they must convert. It is a crucial issue in Game 4
There are so many questions that still need answering at this point it’s hard to know where to start. Or where and when this’ll all finish for Detroit and ...
Fun. They all talk about it, especially around the playoffs. Hockey players and coaches seem to think that the best thing they can do, strategically, is to ...
Helm was expected to be the Red Wings’ third-line center before injuring his back in the weight room just before training camp began in January this lockout- ...
Western Conference Semifinals schedule
Red Wings vs. Chicago Blackhawks
Game 1: Blackhawks 4, Red Wings 1
Game 2: Red Wings 4, Blackhawks 1
Game 3: Red Wings 3, Blackhawks 1
Game 4: Red Wings 2, Blackhawks 0
Game 5: 8 p.m. Saturday, May 25, at Chicago, NBC, CBC
Game 6: Monday, May 27, at Detroit, time and TV TBA*
Game 7: Wednesday, May 29, at Chicago, time and TV TBA*
* If necessary
Scout the Enemy Camp
Headlines from the Chicago Tribune
- Shaw breaks ice with Hawks' 1st power-play goal in 12 tries - 11:50 PM
- Game 5 photos: Hawks 3, Red Wings 1 - 11:44 PM
- Rosenbloom: Been waiting for those Hawks - 11:24 PM
Latest Photo Galleries
In the Blogs
Stats, Schedules and More
Game: Clear the Ice!
Sports on TV
Where to watch the big game in Metro Detroit
- 1 Minnesota at Detroit , FSD/97.1
- 1:30 N.Y. Yankees at Tampa Bay , TBS
- 2 Miami at Chicago White Sox , WGN
- 8 Atlanta at N.Y. Mets , ESPN
- Noon Big East final , ESPNU
- 1 ACC final , ESPN2
- 1 Big Ten final , BTN
- 2 CUSA final , CBSSN
- 4:30 SEC final , ESPN2
- 8 NCAA final, North Carolina vs.Maryland women , ESPNU
- Noon Super Regionals, Alabama-Birmingham at Florida , ESPN
- 3 Super Regionals, Alabama-Birmingham at Florida (if necessary) , ESPN
- 3 Super Regionals, Nebraska at Oregon , ESPNU
- 5 Super Regionals, Kentucky at Arizona State , ESPN
- 6 Super Regionals, Nebraska at Oregon (if necessary) , ESPNU
- 8 Super Regionals, Kentucky at Arizona State (if necessary) , ESPN2
- 7:30a Euro. PGA Champ. , GC
- 1 PGA Crowne Plaza Inv. , GC
- 3 PGA Crowne Plaza Inv. , CBS
- 3 Senior PGA Champ. , NBC
- 3 LPGA Bahamas Cl. , GC
- 7:30a F1 Monaco GP , NBC
- Noon Indianapolis 500 , ABC
- 6 Sp. Coca-Cola 600 , Fox
- 8:30 Miami at Indiana , TNT
- 8 Los Angeles at San Jose , NBCSN
- 3:30 MLS, Houston at Kansas City , NBCSN
- 11 MLS, Seattle at Los Angeles , ESPN2
- 5a French Open , ESPN2
- Noon French Open , NBC
- 5a Monday French Open , ESPN2
- 8:30 Seattle at Los Angeles , NBA
Red Wings Game Guide
Get in the Game
- Blackhawks beat Red Wings 4-1 to stay alive - 12:16 AM
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5 - 10:12 PM
- AP Sources: Coyotes sale approved, hurdle remains - 01:40 PM
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals - 11:36 PM
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win - 02:16 AM
- Red Wings top Blackhawks 2-0, take 3-1 series lead - 02:12 AM
- Avalanche hire Patrick Roy as coach - 12:08 AM
- Kreider keeps Rangers alive with OT goal - 11:11 PM
- Alex Avila's protracted slump creates dilemma for Tigers' brass
- Let Suh be Suh: Don't push Lions star into ill-suited leadership role
- Tigers heroes of magical 1968 season honored in pregame ceremony
- Blackhawks regroup, force Wings to Game 6 on Monday
- Ashley Lane comes up big again, sends U-M to College World Series
- Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto
- Davidson family members in legal battle over late businessman's foundation
- Lions second-year lineman Riley Reiff will work to earn spot
- Man accused of killing his Novi family in 2008 to be arraigned Sunday
- Marinas remake themselves as floating resorts
- Detroit's creditors could target Detroit Institute of Arts collection
- Ex-Piston Isiah Thomas gets advanced degree to complement sports acumen
More from The Detroit News
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.