Oh, the Red Wings are outmanned, and it was evident in Wednesday night’s 4-1 loss. But after practicing at Joe Louis Arena on Friday before hopping on the plane back to Chicago, the Red Wings better understood the task, and felt better equipped to handle it.
So far in the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs, third periods are not the Red Wings’ best phase. The Blackhawks and Ducks have outscored them, 15-5. But how much does it matter, and is there a specific cause?
Recent history suggests they can’t. The salary cap is designed so they won’t. But that won’t stop the Blackhawks from trying to become the kind of team that dominates the NHL in a way the Red Wings and Devils did for long stretches of the last two decades.
Help is on the way. Maybe. Red Wings forward Drew Miller (broken bone, hand) could be in the lineup for Game 2 of the Western Conference semifinals on Saturday against the Blackhawks in Chicago.
Working in wide-open swaths of ice left by Ottawa’s tentative defense, the Pittsburgh superstar needed just over one period to complete his second playoff hat trick and lift the Penguins to a 4-3 victory Friday night in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference semifinals.
Nobody on the Red Wings played particularly well in Game 1 of their playoff series against the Blackhawks, but few seemed to take the abuse on social media and network airwaves like Smith.
Somebody better kick the Mule again. And they’d better do it while the Red Wings are still alive and kicking because they’re probably not going to be for long if they don’t get something more out of Johan Franzen in the Western Conference semifinals against the Blackhawks.
Just a few years before, the Blackhawks won a Stanley Cup. A few years before that, the Red Wings had won several of them. The Hawks were an offensive juggernaut with a strong, mobile defense corps and fine goaltending.
It was something rare, but the schedule for the Western Conference semifinals between the Red Wings and Blackhawks is strange. Game 1 was Wednesday, with Game 2 on Saturday.
It’s a hockey cliché, but when one team dominates another, it’s often referred to as tilting the ice. In Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinals Wednesday, it was the Blackhawks tilting the ice in their favor in a 4-1 victory over the Red Wings.
Boston’s leading goal-scorer during the regular season scored his first of the postseason with 4:20 left in the first overtime and the Bruins beat the New York Rangers 3-2 on Thursday night in the first playoff game in 40 years between the Original Six teams.
This one was hardly Howard’s fault. For nearly 50 minutes, he was about the only reason the Wings still had a chance to steal an early series lead, or at least force overtime.
Missing utterly from the Red Wings’ execution was the forecheck, forwards supporting defense, defense moving the puck well and taking care of it and easy breakouts from their own zone and through center ice.
Patrick Sharp scoring six goals in 28 regular-season games was a bit of concern for the Blackhawks. Sharp was hampered early in the season by a shoulder injury, but now, six games into the postseason, he appears no worse for wear.
There was absolutely no drop-off in Chicago’s 4-1 victory at the United Center as it killed off another three penalties to remain perfect for the postseason ...
The Blackhawks' Patrick Sharp netted a goal and two assists in Game 1 to earn No. 1 star honors while Wings goalie Jimmy Howard stopped 38 shots in goal to ...
The final 40 minutes of Chicago’s 4-1 victory in Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinals, the Blackhawks seemed to have all the energy and speed while ...
Much more skilled, talented, and every bit as good as the Blackhawks' league-best record would indicate,Wednesday's 4-1 victory over the Red Wings in Game 1 of ...
There has been heavy speculation that Red Wings star Pavel Datsyuk will return to play in his native Russia when his contract runs out after next season. ...
On Wednesday, Pavel Datsyuk and Chicago's Jonathan Toews were named finalists — along with Boston's Patrice Bergeron, who won the award last year — for the ...
Emmerton was a healthy scratch in Game 7 of Round 1 against Anaheim. But Emmerton will re-enter the lineup Wednesday night because of a recurring pectoral ...
Coach Joel Quenneville says it’s a "coach’s decision" and Stalberg could get back on the ice at any point in the series. He says he has talked to Stalberg ...
Now the task is to beat the Red Wings, beginning with Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinals Wednesday at the United Center. And that’s something this ...
The Wings and Hawks are familiar foes, but this is how they stack up respectively in their second-round playoff series, which begins Wednesday at the United ...
This next meeting, which hearkens back to series filled with plot twists and turns, will be played out before fans from two working-class cities, Chicago and ...
Detroit traveled to Chicago on Tuesday night in preparation for Game 1 tonight — just as the Red Wings would during the regular season — and are planning to ...
Detroit News staff writer Ted Kulfan shares his five keys to the NHL second-round playoff series between Original Six foes the Red Wings and Blackhawks, which ...
At the beginning of March, the question to coach Mike Babcock was: Why are you playing Abdelkader with Pavel Datsyuk? By the end of the first week in May, it ...
With yet another dominant playoff performance by goalie Jonathan Quick, Los Angeles opened the NHL’s fourth all-California playoff series with its fifth ...
They're looking forward to the opportunity. Nobody is giving the Red Wings much of a chance in their series against the Chicago Blackhawks, but that's fine ...
Western Conference Semifinals schedule
Red Wings vs. Chicago Blackhawks
Game 1: Blackhawks 4, Red Wings 1
Game 2: 1 p.m. Saturday, at Chicago, NBC, CBC
Game 3: 7:30 p.m. Monday, May 20, at Detroit, NBCSN, CBC
Game 4: 8 p.m. Thursday, May 23, at Detroit, NBCSN, CBC
Game 5: Saturday, May 25, at Chicago, time and TV TBA*
Game 6: Monday, May 27, at Detroit, time and TV TBA*
Game 7: Wednesday, May 29, at Chicago, time and TV TBA*
* If necessary
Scout the Enemy Camp
Latest Photo Galleries
In the Blogs
Stats, Schedules and More
Game: Clear the Ice!
Sports on TV
Where to watch the big game in Metro Detroit
- 3:30 Tampa Bay at Baltimore , Fox
- 8 Detroit at Texas , FSD/97.1
- 8 San Francisco at Colorado , MLB
- 9:15 Alexander vs. Purdy and Peterson vs. Matthysse , SHO
- 11a Central Florida at East Carolina , FSD
- Noon Pittsburgh at Louisville , ESPNU
- 1 Mississippi at LSU , CBSSN
- 1 Michigan at Nebraska , BTN
- 3 Clemson at Florida State , ESPNU
- 4 Indiana at Ohio State , BTN
- 4 Notre Dame at Cincinnati , CBSSN
- 12:30 NCAA, Cornell vs. Ohio State , ESPN2
- 3 NCAA, Yale vs. Syracuse , ESPN2
- 3 Regionals,Texas A&M vs. Baylor , ESPN
- 5:30 Regionals,Arizona vs. Pennsylvania , ESPN
- 6 Regionals, Arizona State vs. Georgia , ESPNU
- 8 Regionals, College Station (Texas) matchup , ESPN2
- 8:30 Regionals, San Jose State vs. San Diego State , ESPNU
- 11 Regionals, Tempe (Ariz.) matchup , ESPNU
- 7 Tour of California , NBCSN
- 10a X Games , ESPN
- 8 X Games , ESPN2
- 7 Arena, Orlando at Philadelphia , CBSSN
- 6a Euro. World Match Play , GC
- 1 PGA Byron Nelson Ch. , GC
- 3 PGA Byron Nelson Ch. , CBS
- 3 Web.com BMW Charity Pro-Am , GC
- 5 LPGA Mobile Bay Classic , GC
- 2:30 Preakness Stakes undercard , NBCSN
- 4:30 Preakness Stakes , NBC
- 10 Major League, Rochester at Denver , CBSSN
- 11a Indianapolis 500 Pole Day , NBCSN
- 6 NHRA Kansas Nationals qu. , ESPN2
- 7 Sprint Showdown and All-Star Race , SP
- 8 New York at Indiana , ESPN
- 1 Detroit at Chicago , NBC, CBC/97.1
- 9 Los Angeles at San Jose , NBCSN
- 5 MLS, Toronto at Columbus , FSD+
- Subject to change
Red Wings Game Guide
Get in the Game
- Crosby leads Penguins to 4-3 win over Senators - 11:41 PM
- Defensive forwards center stage in NHL playoffs - 06:34 PM
- LA Kings shock Sharks with 2 late goals - 02:02 AM
- Marchand lifts Bruins, 3-2 in OT over Rangers - 12:34 AM
- Marchand lives Bruins, 3-2 in overtime - 10:57 PM
- Trove of Gretzky memorabilia set for auction - 05:18 PM
- Capitals say Ovechkin played with hurt left foot - 03:57 PM
- St. Louis, Kane, Moulson are Lady Byng finalists - 10:53 AM
- Tigers' Rick Porcello holds Rangers in check
- Charles Woodson 'open' to playing for Lions, if money's right
- Detroit EM weighs options after pension trustees go to Hawaii
- Emails show Snyder aides aware of 'skunk works' group
- Michigan growers bracing for a stink bug invasion
- After a little rest, don't count Red Wings out yet
- Car condos proposed for former General Motors site in Pontiac
- Ex-Michigan center Steve Everitt calls Kirk Cousins' 2011 comments 'ridiculous'
- Aussie travels the world searching for Tucker cars
- 'Drew & Mike' sign off at WRIF
- Michigan community reels as woman faces fraud charges for cancer claim
- Golf course home fits couple to a tee
More from The Detroit News
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.