They found their legs. And then they used them. Again and again, shift after shift, the Red Wings did, pulling together until they’d pulled even, skating away with Game 2 against the Chicago Blackhawks.
In a 7-2 loss to the Texas Ranges on Saturday night, Sanchez lasted exactly as long as Verlander did Thursday night. Usually, that’s a good thing. Most of the time, lasting as long as Verlander, is something you want to do. Not in this series, though.
Lynn Henning: College pitchers, ideally, are on the Tigers’ menu since they could be staring at a rotation hole if Max Scherzer follows the customary advice of agent Scott Boras and tries out free agency following the 2014 season.
Gregg Krupa: Game 2 made it clear the Blackhawks do not walk on water. It also proved the Red Wings still can skate like mad on it, frozen. It is far easier for coaches and players, who are doing the doing in the playoffs, to remain calm and optimistic.
For a team that had the league’s best regular-season record and that’s been equally dominant in the playoffs, Saturday’s 4-1 loss wasn’t appealing. The Blackhawks clearly were the second-best team on the ice.
The Red Wings had 30 shots on net and limited Chicago to 20 on Saturday. That was a reversal from Game 1 (42-21 Chicago edge), as was the fact the
Porcello has had one bad start in 2013. He has four consecutive quality starts (six innings or more, three or fewer earned runs allowed) after
Lions running back Reggie Bush was a guest on NFL Network's “NFL AM” program Friday. Here are some of the highlights, starting with his role in the
Indiana is 6-0 at home in the playoffs, but this one sure wasn’t easy. Next up is a rematch with Miami, the team that eliminated Indiana last season.
It was the same story but a different day for Michigan ace Sara Driesenga as she propelled her team to a 5-0 win Saturday afternoon over California
Everitt, who last played at Michigan in 1992, appeared on WTKA's Mott Takeover fundraiser Friday and randomly referred to the former Michigan State
Gillis was the last player in the field with a bogey Saturday, when he three-putted from 20 feet at the 203-yard 17th. He got that stroke right back
Needing a win to make the Big Ten tournament field, the Wolverines set a season high in runs and hits (23) in a 19-9 victory over Nebraska in Lincoln on Saturday afternoon. The teams meet again Wednesday in the tournament.
Turner, a junior guard, will transfer to a prep school in New Hampshire, DeLaSalle varsity coach Greg Esler said Saturday. Turner was considered to
- Saturday’s prep roundup: Carmen Benedetti becomes G.P. South’s home run king
- Friday's high schools roundup: Grosse Pointe South girls track dominates regional
- Thursday's high schools roundup: Brother Rice’s bats back starter in A-B title game
- Wednesday’s high schools roundup: S.H. Stevenson captures fourth straight title
Ed Carpenter produced a stunning finish to a day that was rife with suspense but lacked surprise. His four-lap average of 228.762 mph was quick
The loss for Orb ended any chance of a Triple try at the Belmont Stakes in three weeks, extending the drought to 36 years since Affirmed in 1978
Detroit Red Wings
Jobs Across Michigan
Sports on TV
Where to watch the big game in Metro Detroit
- 1:30 L.A. Dodgers at Atlanta , TBS
- 2 N.Y. Mets at Chicago Cubs , WGN
- 8 Detroit at Texas , ESPN/97.1
- Noon NCAA, North Carolina vs. Denver , ESPNU
- 2:30 NCAA, Duke vs. Notre Dame , ESPNU
- 3:30 Regionals , ESPN2
- 6 Regionals , ESPN2
- 6 Regionals , ESPNU
- 8:30 Regionals , ESPNU
- 1 Tour of California , NBC
- 6:30 Tour of California , NBCSN
- 10a X Games , ESPN
- 5a Euro. World Match Play , GC
- 1 PGA Byron Nelson Ch. , GC
- 3 PGA Byron Nelson Ch. , CBS
- 3 Web.com BMW Charity Pro-Am , GC
- 5 LPGA Mobile Bay Classic , GC
- 8a MotoGP World Ch. French Grand Prix , SP
- Noon Indianapolis 500 Bump Day , NBCSN
- Noon MotoGP Moto2 French Grand Prix , SP
- 2 ARCA Menards 200 , SP
- 4 Australian V8 Supercars Austin 400 , SP
- 8 NHRA Kansas N'tls , ESPN2
- 3:30 Memphis at San Antonio , ABC
- 3 N.Y. Rangers at Boston , NBC
- 7:30 Pittsburgh at Ottawa , NBCSN, CBC
- 10:30a Premier, Arsenal at Newcastle , ESPN2
- 10:30a Premier, West Brom Albion at Manchester United , FSD
- 1:10 MLS, Los Angeles at New York , ESPN2
- 11 Liga MX, Cruz Azul at Santos , ESPN2
- Subject to change
Get in the Game
More from The Detroit News
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.