No. 12 Michigan 84, Indiana 80
Facing Indiana, which took the Big Ten title on the final play last season at Michigan, U-M was looking to snap a three-game streak to the Hoosiers. And it was Jordan Morgan's Senior Night.
Lynn Henning: The Tigers are averaging about 1.5 steals per game during the Grapefruit League's early days, which compares with one thieved base they averaged every 4.5 games in 2013, when they were 30th among 30 big-league teams in heists (35 steals total).
'Major-league pitchers, scouts, coaches – they're going to find your weakness,' Ausmus said, reminding the Tigers galaxy that Castellanos will be exposed, perhaps for long, frustrating stretches as he prepares for his first full season in the big leagues.
Matt Charboneau: But as promising of a sign as it was, there was one specific point of that second half that might have shown, more than anything else, that the Spartans are close to being primed for the postseason.
Granted, they've only played together for two games. But the David Legwand-centered line with Johan Franzen and Gustav Nyquist certainly opened the
In an old airplane hangar across the parking lot from Joker Marchant Stadium, the inaugural Tigers basketball tournament champions were crowned.
After the win, a ladder was erected on the south end of the arena and the U-M players took turns cutting the pieces of the net to add to their
'It could quite possibly be the worst game we've ever played, but give Nebraska a lot of credit -- their upperclassmen and leaders really showed up
He went with reserves Will Bynum, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Jonas Jerebko, among others, to finish the game, and they actually went on a 30-11 run
Catholic Central got its wish, and thanks in part to a huge night from its power play, the team was able to skate away with a 5-1 victory.
- Division 2 hockey final: Justin Dunn, Andrew Sawyer lead Trenton to 14th title
- Division 3 hockey final: Jason Petras scores twice as underdog Farmington captures first state championship
- Shock and sorrow in wake of Grandville player's death
- Friday's Division 1 hockey: Detroit Catholic Central gets another shot at Brighton
Rayvonte Rice scored 15 points to lead the Illini (18-13, 7-11 Big Ten), who notched consecutive road wins against ranked opponents for the first
- Michigan State 'awful' in lopsided Big Ten semifinal loss to Nebraska
- Saturday's Big Ten hockey roundup: Michigan State scores three unanswered goals to overtake Michigan
- MSU's Suzy Merchant hopes for better team effort in NCAA tournament
- Friday's Big Ten hockey roundup: Andrew Sinelli gets natural hat trick, U-M routs MSU
Tepid shooting cost top-ranked Wayne State, which fell to No. 5 Malone, 61-53, in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletics Conference Tournament women's semifinal Saturday at the Matthaei Center.
- Saturday's Top 25 roundup: No. 1 Florida routs Kentucky to remain unbeaten in SEC
- No. 7 Ferris State clinches regular-season WCHA title with win over Lake Superior State
- Friday's college basketball roundup: Oakland falls in Horizon quarterfinals
- Thursday's college basketball roundup: No. 15 Cincinnati races past No. 20 Memphis
NFL free agency begins Tuesday, and the cash-strapped Lions have a few holes they need to fill. The team will look for veteran safeties and wide
In only his second year on the PGA Tour, Patrick Reed already is used to playing in the final group on Sunday — and winning. But not against a field
Keselowski of Rochester Hills earned his 28th career Nationwide win on his 20th track, doing it in his eighth try in Vegas — where he infamously blew
Game On Dude snapped a three-race skid with his victory against seven rivals, including Mucho Macho Man and Will Take Charge, who beat him last year
Detroit Red Wings
Sports on TV
Where to watch the big game in Metro Detroit
- 1, St. Louis at Washington, MLB
- 1, Detroit at Miami, 97.1
- 4, Cincinnati at L.A. Angels, MLB
- 2, Michigan State at TCU, FSD+
- Noon, Virginia at Maryland, CBS
- Noon, Big South final, ESPN2
- Noon, Northwestern at Purdue, BTN
- 1, Big Ten women’s final, ESPN
- 2, Missouri Valley final, CBS
- 2, Saint Louis at Massachusetts, CBSSN
- 2, Atlantic Sun final, Mercer at Florida Gulf Coast, ESPN2
- 2, GLIAC women’s final, COM900
- 4, LaSalle at Saint Joseph’s, CBSSN
- 4:30, Michigan State at Ohio State, CBS/WJR
- 5:15, Penn State at Minnesota, BTN
- 6, Boston College at North Carolina State, ESPNU
- 7:30, Wisconsin at Nebraska, BTN
- 6, Duke at Loyola, CBSSN
- Noon, Alabama-Birmingham at East Carolina, FSD
- 2, Big Ten championships, BTN
- 6a, Mission Hills World Championship, GC
- 1, PGA Tour, Cadillac Championship, GC
- 3, PGA Tour, Cadillac Championship, NBC
- 7:30, PGA Tour, Puerto Rico Open, GC
- 3, Sprint Cup, Kobalt 400, Fox
- 1, Miami at Chicago, ABC
- 3:30, Oklahoma City at L.A. Lakers, ABC
- 6, Detroit at Boston, FSD/97.1
- 9, Phoenix at Golden State, NBA
- Noon, Detroit at N.Y. Rangers, NBC/1270
- 7:30, Chicago at Buffalo, NBCSN
FEATURED JOBS THIS WEEK
Get in the Game
Celebrate the Spartans' Rose Bowl victory with a hardcover book
"Return To Roses" chronicles the thrilling Michigan State championship football season and Rose Bowl, with photos, games stories, features and columns by The Detroit News. Order yours at www.kcisports.com or call 1-800-697-3756.
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.