In their six wins, they’ve found some encouraging signs from a roster that includes two freshmen, five sophomores, a junior and a senior in the main rotation. In the three losses, they’ve seen how much they have to grow if they’re going to be contenders in the Big Ten this season.
Bob Wojnowski: The Lions have so many labels stuck to their foreheads, it's hard to keep track. They're aggressive and maddening and talented and dirty and brash and fearless and undisciplined. Nobody can define them because they can't define themselves.
They signed the 33-year-old Davis to a two-year deal, worth $10 million, believing a 5-foot-9, 195-pound, right-handed hitter, who last season stole 45 bases, will bring a different look to their lineup and Comerica Park's acreage.
Dennard was named the Tatum-Woodson defensive back of the year in the Big Ten last week, while also earning first-team all-conference honors. Thursday, he'll find out if he wins the Thorpe Award, given to the nation's top defensive back.
It's safe to say Johan Franzen is on one of his hot streaks. And the Red Wings are more than happy to see it, considering he was anything but hot early, with no goals in the first seven games and two in his first 13 games. Lately? Over the last 14 games, Franzen has 17 points (seven goals).
He's the Elvis of the winter meetings, Scott Boras. The mega-agent held court for more than an hour Wednesday afternoon, and as is the case every
They had to exorcise the mental baggage left by blowing a third fourth-quarter lead and committing 15 turnovers during a four-game span.
After practice Wednesday, things began to look a little clearer for two starters, as Adreian Payne and Keith Appling said they would be ready. Gary
the Wolverines and Bulldogs battled to a 2-2 overtime tie with the teams playing a shootout which will not count in the overall point standings.
With point guard being the deepest position in the league, one where there's very few easy nights, Jennings can't be a freeway to the lane, forcing
Howard tweaked a knee near the end of Wednesday's practice and will not be available against the Lightning. The Red Wings placed Zetterberg
MSU's Kobs Field will host the baseball semifinals on June 12-13 and the finals on June 14 in 2014. The softball semifinals and finals will be at
- Wednesday's high schools roundup: Utica Ford wins its second boys basketball game
- Mount Clemens romps over Detroit King in season opener
- Tuesday's high school roundup: Royal Oak rallies past Madison in boys basketball
- Detroit News preseason top 20 players: Consortium's Josh Jackson ranks with all-time best
The 40-year-old Diaco takes over a team that went 3-9 this season. UConn fired Paul Pasqualoni after an 0-4 start and a 10-18 record in just more
Latest Headlines Updated Dec 12, 2013 at 3:15 am
- Connecticut hires Notre Dame assistant Bob Diaco as football coach 3:15 am
- Michigan State's Keith Appling, Adreian Payne are likely to play vs. Oakland1:40 am
- Pistons' Maurice Cheeks challenges Brandon Jennings to tighten defense1:50 am
- The Detroit News NFL predictions: Week 151:00 am
- To Lions, the playoffs start Monday night vs. Ravens1:33 am
Detroit Red Wings
Sports on TV
Where to watch the big game in Metro Detroit
- 7 Maryland at Boston College, ESPNU
- 7 Kentucky at DePaul women, FS1
- 9 Florida Atlantic at DePaul, FS1
- 6:30a Euro. Mandela Ch., GC
- 11:30 Thailand Ch., GC
- 7 Whitney Young (Ill.) at Apple Valley (Minn.), ESPN2
- 8 L.A. Clippers at Brooklyn, TNT
- 10:30 Houston at Portland, TNT
- 8 San Diego at Denver, NFL
- 7:30 Detroit at Tampa Bay, FSD/97.1
- 1 Europa, Swansea City at St. Gallen, FS1
- 3 Europa, Anji at Tottenham, FS1
FEATURED JOBS THIS WEEK
Get in the Game
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.