They hit. They don't hit. They pitch great in some games. Their bullpen comes apart in others. They supposedly are a team built on speed and defense. But they make three errors against the Indians and nearly lose before chugging to a 7-5 victory.
John Niyo: Tomas Tatar was here and then he was gone. And while he was there, he couldn't help but wonder. Not just what he was missing. But what the Red Wings were missing, too, with the feisty goal scorer exiled to Grand Rapids a month before the Stanley Cup Playoffs began last spring.
Allen Trieu: As the spring evaluation period begins and schools head out to visit top prospects across the country, Michigan State actually received a visit from one of their top targets as Cincinnati La Salle junior defensive tackle Jordan Thompson came to town.
The Tigers and Angels, who play Friday through Sunday in Detroit, combined spend nearly $300 million in salaries, and thus feature some of the
It is as if they approach each other in the Stanley Cup Playoffs now as strangers. The first meeting in the playoffs since 1957 between two of the
When you cover a beat, you never really get to experience the sorrow and joy of a team's season. You're too busy writing stories, gathering quotes
Longtime Michigan analyst Jim Brandstatter will handle the play-by-play on the Wolverines' radio broadcast and will be joined in the booth by Dan
About 2,500 people wearing bright colors Thursday evening came out to the Breslin Center to celebrate the life of Lacey Holsworth.
Growing up as the son of a General Motors worker, Lions coach Jim Caldwell is a supporter of unions. However, when a student asked Caldwell's opinion
Duke freshman Jabari Parker is entering the NBA draft. Coach Mike Krzyzewski says in a statement Thursday it was 'an honor for us to have him in our
They'll run the Boston Marathon on Patriot's Day — a year after it was struck by a terrorist bombing that killed three spectators and injured more
QB Jayru Campbell has been allowed to return to the high school several months after he was accused of body slamming a school security officer.
- Thursday's high schools roundup: Country Day baseball erupts in eighth to stave off Cranbrook-Kingswood
- Wednesday's high schools roundup: Zack McGuire powers undefeated S.H. Stevenson
- Monday's prep roundup: G.P. South scores late to edge Utica Eisenhower in MAC baseball
- Tom Markowski: Scott Sheckell's tenure as Groves coach has controversial conclusion
Our annual Guide to Public Golf Courses includes an interactive map and is updated with 2014 rates for courses in seven southeast Michigan counties.
NASCAR's Kyle Larson is enjoying the advantages of double dipping. Larson moved full-time into the Sprint Cup series this season, taking over the No.
- Monday's motors roundup: NASCAR's Gene Haas plans to field Formula 1 team in next 2 years
- Sunday's motors roundup: Mike Conway wins wild IndyCar race at Long Beach
- Saturday's motors roundup: Kevin Harvick survives shootout for first Darlington win
- Friday's motor sports roundup: Chase Elliott wins second straight Nationwide race
Latest Headlines Updated Apr 18, 2014 at 1:00 am
- Detroit News predictions: Bruins will bounce Red Wings 1:00 am
- ESPN documentary captures emotions of Pistons' Bad Boys reign1:00 am
- Red Wings vs. Bruins: How they match up1:00 am
- Red Wings, Bruins rekindle playoff rivalry that blazed in 1940s, '50s1:00 am
- Tony Paul's MLB Insider: Tigers, Angels boast rich tradition1:00 am
Detroit Red Wings
Sports on TV
Where to watch the big game in Metro Detroit
- 2:15 Cincinnati at Chicago Cubs, WGN, MLB
- 7 L.A. Angels at Detroit, FSD+/1270
- 7 Baltimore at Boston, MLB
- 9 Kopylenko vs. Monroe Jr., ESPN2
- 10 Karl vs. Burns, Spence Jr. vs. Charles and Sanchez vs. Silva, FS1
- 10:45 Vazquez Jr. vs. Rodriguez Jr., Diaz vs. Lartey and Collado vs. Salka, SHO
- 6 Northwestern at Nebraska, BTN
- 6 Johns Hopkins women at Penn State, BTN
- 7 Johns Hopkins at Navy, CBSSN
- 3:30 Maryland-Eastern Shore at Hampton, ESPNU
- 8 Florida at Texas A&M, ESPNU
- 9 a.m. European Malaysian Open, GC
- 12:30 Champions Gwinnett Championship, GC
- 3 PGA The Heritage, GC
- 6:30 LPGA LOTTE Championship, GC
- 7 Jordan Brand Classic, ESPN2
- 2 a.m. Saturday F1 Chinese Grand Prix qualifying, NBCSN
- 7 Montreal at Tampa Bay, CNBC, CBC
- 7:30 Detroit at Boston, FSD/97.1
- 10 Dallas at Anaheim, NBCSN
- * Saturday; subject to change
FEATURED JOBS THIS WEEK
Get in the Game
Celebrate the Spartans' Rose Bowl victory with a hardcover book
"Return To Roses" chronicles the thrilling Michigan State championship football season and Rose Bowl, with photos, games stories, features and columns by The Detroit News. Order yours at www.kcisports.com or call 1-800-697-3756.
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.