With defensive coordinator Teryl Austin taking over, the Lions will be much more aggressive, and that likely means the linebackers will blitz much more than the past few seasons.
Some nights, it all works out, even for a baseball team that occasionally makes its fans wish ballparks and television sets had never been invented. The Tigers avoided any undue drama or fan-damaging stress Monday in a 4-3 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks that balanced like a three-leg stool. Detroit's starting pitcher, Justin Verlander, pitched three no-hit innings to begin the game and plowed deep into the sixth on what was a generally in-command outing that became his ninth victory of the season.
Not since he was a freshman football star at Michigan State, not since he was a rookie with the Tigers, not in any of his incarnations as a wildly talented athlete, or even in his past years as a baseball coach and manager, has Gibson failed to fill a notebook with USDA-grade red meat.
- MORE SPORTS
- Mark Howe's new book chronicles life as Mr. Hockey's son
- NHL offseason moves: Ted Kulfan breaks down winners and losers
- Chris Ilitch defends use of tax subsidies for $650M entertainment district
- Kurt Mensching: Hard to say if J.D. Martinez's season with Tigers is a fluke or the real deal
- Lions running back Joique Bell's sister gets kidney transplant after 7-year wait
- Lions training camp position previews: Defensive backs
Thanks to Joba Chamberlain, the Tigers have the best eighth-inning earned-run average in the American League at 2.27. The Tigers have the worst ninth
Running back Joique Bell posted a photo on Instagram on Sunday showing that his older sister, Ambie Bell-Clayton, received a kidney transplant after
The Pistons signed guard Spencer Dinwiddie, their second-round pick, to a three-year contract, according to a source. Dinwiddie, the 38th pick of
This season could be one of the more challenging for Beilein, with four players from last season's squad in the NBA and one who transferred to
While the offer to Mack is new, their recruitment of him is not, as he has been steadily in contact with them since a freshman season in which he
Russian tennis player Maria Kirilenko says she has called off her planned wedding to three-time NHL MVP Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals. The
- Daniel Cleary motivated by Red Wings fans' disapproval of his return
- Red Wings re-sign forwards Mitch Callahan, Andrej Nestrasil for Grand Rapids
- Thursday's NHL roundup: Tyler Ennis, Sabres agree on five-year, $23 million extension
- New Red Wings assistant Tony Granato fond of pic showing shouting match with Mike Babcock
His first major of the year, and second tournament since March 31 back surgery, wasn't much of an audition for U.S. captain Tom Watson.
There is no clearer example of the disconnect between NASCAR and its teams then the fight this year over the procedures to cool cars down during
- Mike Conway wins 2nd race of Toronto doubleheader; Sebastien Bourdais takes opener
- Saturday's motor sports roundup: Chase Elliott holds off Trevor Bayne for Nationwide win
- Friday's motors roundup: Scott Dixon seeks another sweep in Toronto
- NASCAR driver Kevin Harvick takes detour into UFC management
During his opening address at Big 12 football media days, Bowlsby talked about growing financial constraints athletic programs face going forward and
Alexander Kristoff of Norway captured his second stage win of this year's Tour de France by leading home a pack that overtook two breakaway riders
Sports on TV
Where to watch the big game in Metro Detroit
FEATURED JOBS THIS WEEK
Get in the Game
Celebrate the Spartans' Rose Bowl victory with a hardcover book
"Return To Roses" chronicles the thrilling Michigan State championship football season and Rose Bowl, with photos, games stories, features and columns by The Detroit News. Order yours at www.kcisports.com or call 1-800-697-3756.
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.