In the third inning of a game at Comerica Park that followed a tribute to the retiring Deter Jeter, Price lasted only two-plus innings. He left after allowing nine consecutive hits while not retiring a batter in the third.
John Niyo: Don't count on any of this making much sense. David Price turning into Vincent Price. Drew Smyly turning into David Price. Anibal Sanchez turning into a voodoo doll. The Royals turning into the '69 Mets.
The reality is, it happened. Michigan was ranked No. 5 in the nation and opening its season at home with a senior-laden offense against a team that resided in the Football Championship Subdivision. But the Mountaineers would stun the college football world that day, upsetting the Wolverines, 34-32, thanks to a field goal with 26 seconds left followed by a field-goal block.
- Tigers' Joe Nathan channels his inner Jimmy Kimmel, reads some mean tweets
- Tigers keep Derek Jeter ceremony short, simple -- and classy
- Tom Gage: In Jerry Lumpe, Tigers great Al Kaline remembers fondly a great teammate, great friend
- Lions vs. Bills: Position battles at right tackle, linebacker among 10 things to watch
- R.J. Shelton doing double duty for Michigan State
- Detroit News high-school football picks: Week 1
Brad Ausmus would not discuss what treatment Dr. Andrews prescribed nor would he say when Sanchez is next scheduled to throw.
Nobody promised a Super Bowl, but Ihedigbo came close when answering a question about what it was like to win one with the Baltimore Ravens two
In Steve Ballmer's first big move since taking over as the new owner, he gave Rivers a contract extension through the 2018-19 season.
The Red Wings released their television broadcast schedule for the 2014-15 season Tuesday. They open the season at Joe Louis Arena on Oct. 9 against
They live in a gated community now. But money doesn't always buy acceptance. And as college football enters a new era – out with the parochial, in
For MSU's defensive backs coach, there is a moment from his playing career that most people remember, far more than him winning a Rose Bowl with the
Matt Charboneau breaks down The Detroit News' Top 25 college football teams. There are four Big Ten teams in our rankings -- No. 6 Michigan State, No.
- Josh Shaw admits lying about heroics; USC calls it a 'complete fabrication,' suspends senior
- EMU preview: Four-year starter Lincoln Hansen a leader for Eagles in transition
- WMU preview: Rising star receiver Corey Davis has big plans for Broncos
- CMU preview: Justin Cherocci pushes himself from walk-on to MAC's top tackler
Angelique S. Chengelis of The Detroit News breaks down the Big Ten East Division teams, in predicted order of finish.
Dave Sofran feeling blessed as he takes over coaching three-time state champion Birmingham Brother Rice
Sofran takes over for Al Fracassa, who won a state-record 430 games and guided Brother Rice to 13 state titles since 1969.
The five-time major champion rallied from a set down to beat 95th-ranked Alexandra Dulgheru 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 in the second round of the U.S. Open on
The good news for Furyk is that people finally stopped talking about his golf swing that only a mother could love and a father could teach. Now it's
NASCAR weekends at Michigan International Speedway in 2015 will be June 12-14 and Aug. 14-16.
Sports on TV
Where to watch the big game in Metro Detroit
- 12:30 Chicago Cubs at Cincinnati, MLB, WGN
- 1 N.Y. Yankees at Detroit, FSD/97.1
- 7 Midwest League, Fort Wayne at West Michigan, COM900
- 10 Oakland at L.A. Angels, MLB
- 7 Wake Forest at Louisiana-Monroe, ESPNU
- 7 Eastern Illinois at Minnesota, BTN
- 8 Boise State vs. Mississippi, ESPN
- 8 Tulane at Tulsa, CBSSN
- 10 Rutgers vs. Washington State, FS1
- 9:30a Euro. Italian Open, GC
- 3 Web.com Hotel Fitness Championship, GC
- 6:30 LPGA Portland Classic, GC
- 5:30a Euro. Italian Open, GC
- 7 N.Y. Jets at Philadelphia, NFL
- 7 Detroit at Buffalo, Ch. 7/97.1
- 10 Seattle at Oakland, NFL
- 1 U.S. Open, ESPN
- 6 U.S. Open, ESPN2
FEATURED JOBS THIS WEEK
Get in the Game
Celebrate the Spartans' Rose Bowl victory with a hardcover book
"Return To Roses" chronicles the thrilling Michigan State championship football season and Rose Bowl, with photos, games stories, features and columns by The Detroit News. Order yours at www.kcisports.com or call 1-800-697-3756.
More from The Detroit News
Seen in the Photo Store
Purchase Detroit News images of historic events, scenes, places and people.Go to the PhotoStore
The Detroit News Apps
Stay up to date on the go with the latest from The Detroit News apps
Our apps connect you with the best news, sports, auto and entertainment coverage from our team of award-winning journalists.