The McGregor Fund awarded a $250,000 grant to the Detroit Institute of Arts to support the museum’s general operating expenses.
The grant comes after the foundation provided $6 million in 2014 toward the “grand bargain,” an unprecedented collaboration among 10 foundations, the state and the DIA that helped the city of Detroit emerge from bankruptcy, supported city pensioners and protected the museum’s art collection for the public.
The foundation’s gifts have supported the DIA’s research library, conservation laboratory and endowment. These gifts have also funded DIA art publications and art acquisitions. The foundation is at the DIA’s highest level of cumulative giving.
The McGregor Fund is a private foundation established in 1925 by gifts from Katherine and Tracy McGregor. It awards grants to organizations in human services, education, health care, arts and culture, and public benefit. The foundation’s primary area of interest is the city of Detroit and Macomb, Oakland and Wayne counties.
The McGregor Fund has granted nearly $227 million since its founding and had assets of $182 million in 2014.