Kesha drops L.A. suit against Dr. Luke, continues fight in N.Y.
Pop star Kesha has announced that she will drop her lawsuit against her former producer, Lukasz “Dr. Luke” Gottwald, who she says sexually, physically and mentally abused her while they were working together. She will continue with appeals in New York, according to Rolling Stone. “Kesha is focused on getting back to work and has delivered 28 new songs to the record label. We have conveyed to Sony and the label Kesha’s strong desire to release her next album and single as soon as possible,” her lawyer, Daniel Petrocelli, said in a statement. Kesha, who performed at Caesars Windsor last week, spoke to fans on Facebook. “My fight continues,” she wrote. “I need to get my music out. I have so much to say. This lawsuit is so heavy on my once free spirit, and I can only pray to one day feel that happiness again. I am continuing to fight for my rights in New York. Thank you for all your support.”
Keith to co-grand marshal Thanksgiving Parade
Honorable Judge Damon J. Keith will serve as the co-grand marshal for the 90th America’s Thanksgiving Parade. Known as a champion for civil rights, Judge Keith is a graduate of Detroit’s Northwestern High School. He was the first African-American chief judge on the U.S. District Court, Eastern District. In 1977, President Jimmy Carter appointed the judge to the Sixth Circuit Appeals Court.
“As a native Detroiter, I have many happy memories of being camped out on Woodward Avenue early Thanksgiving morning (in record-cold temperatures during some years), peeking through the massive crowds to marvel in excitement at the beautiful floats from our America’s Thanksgiving Parade presented by Art Van,” said Judge Keith in a press release. “For almost as many years as the parade has been in existence, I have had the privilege of witnessing this national pastime, first as a young child with my parents, and then seeing that same amazement on the faces of my own children years later.”
This year’s parade theme is “90 Years Together.” Judge Keith, who turned 94 on July 4, will lead the parade down Woodward on Nov. 24. Produced by the Detroit-based Parade Co., the procession will air on television in more than 160 major cities. See it locally on WDIV-TV (Channel 4) or hear it on WJR-AM (760). Parade Company officials say they will release addition information on the parade’s second co-grand marshal, plus new floats and celebrity appearances, in the coming months.
Primanti Bros. opens in Taylor with Darren McCarty signings
Former Detroit Red Wings player Darren McCarty will be on hand as part of the festivities Wednesday when Primanti Bros. opens its first Michigan location at 23000 Eureka Road in Taylor. The first 100 customers lined up before noon Wednesday will have a chance to get free sandwiches for a year at that location. Folks can start lining up and tailgating starting at 5 a.m. The restaurant opens to the public at 3 p.m. and McCarty will be on hand signing autographs from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday. A Novi location is expected to open shortly after Labor Day.
Compiled by Melody Baetens
Tony Bennett, 90
Martin Sheen, 76
Martha Stewart, 75
James Hetfield, 53
Michael Ealy, 43