Detroit — A video system investigators confiscated from the home of an armed robbery suspect fatally shot by a federal agent earlier this week could shed light on what happened.

The shooting of Terrance Kellom, 20, occurred Monday in the hallway on the first floor of the home in the 9500 block of Evergreen, at the foot of a stairway and possibly in the path of a video camera affixed to a wall at the top of the stairs.

According to a search warrant return that Kellom's father, Kevin, provided to The Detroit News, Detroit police confiscated a video monitor that he said contained a chip that may have captured the shooting.

The chip also contained video from cameras mounted in the living room, on the porch and on the side of the house, Kellom said.

Officers with a multi-jurisdictional task force that included city, suburban and federal officers went to the Kellom house to arrest Terrance Kellom, wanted for the armed robbery of a pizza delivery man.

Police say Kellom lunged with a hammer before he was shot by Mitchell Quinn, a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer. Kevin Kellom, who witnessed the shooting, insists his son's hands were empty.

"I'm hoping the video shows what happened, because my son did not have a hammer," Kellom said.

Family attorney Karri Mitchell said Friday he's trying to contact the security service provider to see if the video footage is available on a cloud system.

Detroit police have the video and are reviewing it as part of their investigation.

According to the search warrant return, other items confiscated from the Kellom home about three hours after the shooting include:

A great neck claw hammer with a wooden handle, recovered from the hallway where the shooting occurred.

Four .40 caliber shell casings taken from the living room, which leads into the hallway.

A .40 caliber shell casing taken from the hallway.

Another casing recovered from the bathroom, which is adjacent to the hallway.

A seventh shell casing found in the hall closet.

Four fired bullet fragments were also recovered from two bedrooms, the hallway and the molding of the door leading to the stairway.

The black T-shirt Kellom was wearing, his cellphones, and the cellphones of his father and stepmother, Yvette Johnson.

"We got our phones back (Thursday)," Johnson said. She said nobody filmed the encounter with their phones.

Besides the Detroit police inquiry, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Office of the Inspector General is investigating the shooting. Detroit police are handling the criminal probe to see if there was any wrongdoing on the part of police and the federal agency is focusing on the internal investigation, since it was a federal agent who shot Kellom.

Quinn gave his statement to investigators Friday, Detroit Assistant Police Chief Steve Dolunt said.

Detroit Police Chief James Craig is not commenting on the case since the investigation is not completed, although he said he told the media Terrance Kellom had a hammer, hoping the information would calm irate residents.

"'No comment' by a police chief can foster distrust in the community and tends to suggest we're hiding something," Craig said. "I'm not going to reveal everything I know about an investigation, but I'll give the public enough so they know what took place."

Mitchell and Ron Scott, director of the Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality, criticized the chief for telling reporters Kellom was armed with a hammer.

"In the future, if you don't have the matter fully investigated, don't speak to it," Scott said.

Craig replied: "If I sit there and say 'no comment,' I'll be criticized for that."

Police reportedly were called to the Kellom home by a girlfriend who claimed Terrance Kellom was beating her, but Mitchell disputed those reports.

"I talked to her, and she said it wasn't true," Mitchell said. "There are a lot of untrue things being said about this case."

Kevin Kellom and his wife say police told them they had a warrant to search the home, although they never produced one.

"There was no search warrant," Mitchell said.

However, if police felt Terrance Kellom's girlfriend was in danger when she reportedly called about being abused, they wouldn't need a warrant to enter the home, University of Detroit-Mercy law professor Larry Dubin said.

"If police think someone is in immediate danger, that could be a circumstance which would not require a search warrant," he said.

A private funeral for Terrance Kellom is planned for Wednesday.

(313) 222-2134

Read or Share this story: