A drain interceptor that collapsed in Fraser on Christmas Eve is expected to be repaired by the end of summer, officials say.
The Macomb Interceptor Drain Drainage District Board awarded the $32.7 million construction contract to Dan’s Excavating in Shelby Township, which said it could fix the interceptor by Sept. 15 — about two weeks earlier than county officials expected.
The drain interceptor fix is part of the first phase of repairs which also includes repaving 15 Mile and removing old piping, said Dan Heaton, spokesman for the Macomb County Office of Public Works.
The first phase, which is expected to cost about $75 million, will be completed by Thanksgiving, Heaton said.
The county is also considering a second phase of preventative work on the interceptor that could cost an additional $75 million.
A 100-foot-wide, 250-foot-long sinkhole emerged on 15 Mile near Eberline just east of Hayes in Fraser on Christmas Eve.
Officials said it was caused by the collapse of the leaking interceptor sewer main that runs under 15 Mile, the border between Clinton Township and Fraser.
The collapse forced the evacuation of 22 homes. The occupants of 19 of the homes have since been allowed to return; three other homes have been condemned.
Last month, the county board of commissioners approved a $20 million loan from the county’s delinquent tax revolving account and general fund to cover the costs of a long-term $10 million bypass, claims from residents affected by the interceptor collapse and other expenses.